ISP Decimator, eats batteries for breakfast?

• Thread starter beretta329
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

beretta329

Shoop da Whoop!
Reaction score
I never leave my decimator on, but i've owned it for roughly a week and gone through almost 2 9v batteries.... is this normal for this pedal? granted, the week was filled with plenty of playing, but it seems like even once i threw in a new battery the other day, after.. probably 5 hours of playing, it's getting the terrible tone-sucking sound as if the battery is dying. if this thing really eats the fkn batteries this fast i'm thinking i'd be better off to just invest in a cord for it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Using a power supply is always the best option. It's easy and cost effective. Honestly, the only reason I have batteries even in my pedals is as a backup. :lol:

Though, do you unplug your pedals when not in use?

beretta329

Shoop da Whoop!
Reaction score
come to think of it, no, i didn't bother unplugging it, i didn't really think it mattered. would that drain the power or something?

(p.s. i'm new to pedals, i used to just use straight up amp tone, but i learned of the greatness of pedals through the almighty ss.org.. and periphery xD )

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
come to think of it, no, i didn't bother unplugging it, i didn't really think it mattered. would that drain the power or something?

(p.s. i'm new to pedals, i used to just use straight up amp tone, but i learned of the greatness of pedals through the almighty ss.org.. and periphery xD )

A lot of pedals remain in a "semi-active" mode as soon as a cable is inserted into them, this can run down the battery. It's just the nature of the circuits. Try keeping it unplugged from now on (when not in use of course) and see how that works.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
It's the same deal with active pickups. If you leave them plugged it, it can kill your batteries! I'm not sure how the decimator works though.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
The same applies if you have active pickups. One of my buddies swore off of EMGs because they "died." He just kept a cable in it all day every day! :lol:

EDIT: :ninja:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
It's not a "can kill batteries", it's "does kill batteries".

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
^Depends on the circuitry in question.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
All pedals that I've ever used that require power will only turn one/be able to turn on if you have a pedal plugged into one of the jacks on it, and they've all been the kind that run down batteries as long as whatever jack let's them turn on is plugged into.

Soubi7string

3d printer go brrrrrrrrr
Reaction score
pedalboard with surge protection
AC adapter
daisy chain
any of those of the above in combo with each other besides the daisy chain are good

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
My friend and I call them "Vampire Devices" because if you keep them plugged in they will drain the life out of your batteries with a quickness.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
Yeah, I was told the cable "completes" the circuit, so I unplug my Vox every time, and so far it's still on its 1st battery ( 2 years), and I always have it in my rig...well 80% of the time. I don't abuse it like Kirk Hammet, but I find it great for jazz which I play once in a while. That may explain why I haven't needed to change the battery in it. Actually, it may need a new one soon from constant "fun" abuse.

Anyway to tie things up, I think it depends on the use of the pedal you put it through. Since those are almost always active when playing, it makes sense it will murder battery's. I believe planet waves has a power supply for very cheap.

Mark Bass

Reaction score
Can't add much to this thread except to say everyone is right on the money. Most stomp boxes need the battery to function like a true bypass circuit when switched out. As such, you have to break the connection. Same holds true with the active PUPS in my Hohner B2ADB Steinberger - And the battery is a PITA to get at. If you want to leave everything wired and ready in your jam space then definitely get a 9v adapter. ISP makes one with 5 plugs, you can get it at GC

Reaction score
If you have a house with crappy grounding batteries may be your best option.

BUT the decimator seems to take care of even those problems, so like others have said, just grab a power supply. If you have any other pedals it best to just have a little pedal board to clean up all of the cablage.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
3 Month old thread guys....

To clarify though:
Running on batteries, no pedals will switch on without something plugged in
Plugged into a power supply, most pedals will switch on regardless of something being plugged in
True bypass pedals will not drain the battery if left plugged in
Non True Bypass pedals have a buffer circuit that remains on when the pedal isn't in use, this does drain the battery. EMG's have the same circuit, hence why they die too. Inserting a jack completes a circuit allowing current to flow.

')