ISP Decimator Pro Rack G

• Thread starter juice_74
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

juice_74

Reaction score
Has anyone out there used a pro rack g noise reduction unit.

Got mine in the mail a few days ago and not very happy with it.

It has made my notes sound very thinned out. I tested my regular decimator against the channel one of the pro rack unit just out in front of my amp, and the pedal actually works a lot better than the pro rack.

Dunno whats up with that, dunno if i have set it up wrong but i have been very thorough in doing it.

Has anyone had any experience with one of these, or with a 5150

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thepylestory

tunamelt
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I have the pro rack g stereo version and I don't like it. I'm not sure what the deal is...

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I had the exact opposite experience. The ProrackG version worked wonders for me. The ISP pedal either cut my notes short or wouldn't cut enough. I never found a good balance. The Prorack took me about 10 seconds to dial in.

raximkoron

Reaction score
I've noticed with mine, messing too much with the tracking knob really screwed with my tone. I have it set pretty low though, and everything works great (I currently use the Stereo Mod version, but own the single channel version as well).

juice_74

Reaction score
I currently have it connected,

guitar > tuner > Maxon od808 > pro rack in > pro rack out > channel 1 in > channel 1 out > 5150.

Fx send > channel 2 in > channel 2 out > boss ce2 > mxr carbon copy > fx return.

Few of the single pedals are looped into a gcx.

I have further tweaked my settings on the pro rack and now getting extremely good gating in front and loop, no hum and good stop start riffing, sustain is better than the pedal version too. But I still feel asif I'm missing a bitta juice to my tone, it just slightly doesn't sound as good as having my ISP pedal in there instead of the pro rack.

Also I'm thinking it may be because I'm not using a buffer at the start of the chain, I do have a lot of cable as ive looped a lot of it in and out of the gcx.

So yeah dunno, was really hoping this pro rack was the solution to no noise which it's doing perfectly but it's taking away something that I really want there. Bummer.

Thanks for the replies!

And for the comparison between just one pro rack channel and my Decimator pedal, I had to set the pro rack on -10 threshold vs only -30 on the pedal, I guess the pro rack includes tracking from the in/out section of it.

amarshism

Reaction score
Where is your filter tracking. Start with it all the way counter clockwise and adjust til you here some high end loss, then back it off. I noticed the prg does suck some volume so you might need to crank your amp a bit more.

juice_74

Reaction score
Yeah filter tracking is somewhere between -20 and 0. That really sucks, as the pedal is so good! Have used the regular, the gstring and the pro rack and can say the pedal created the least headache, does what its supposed to perfectly.

juice_74

Reaction score
Yeah you're probably right, give me a bit more time with it lol.

Reaction score
The Pro Rack G is a colossal waste of money for most players. Get the pedal, find where your noise is coming from, and adjust to it sounds good. I had the Pro Rack G for awhile and the pedal did as much good for half the price. I forgot to mentioned, that friggin' thing is HEAVY!

goatLuke

ss.org Noob
Reaction score
i absolutely love the pro rack g. I've never used the pedal so I can't compare. I found it real easy to dial in and it is very transparent imo.

Scordare

Reaction score
It sounds like you need to adjust the tracking filter..when it is set too high, it will do just what you are describing. If you are turning yours up to 0 (12 o'clock) then its definitely too high. This control is very sensitive..If i turn mine up much past 9 o'clock it will start to thin out tone. Turn it fully counterclockwise (-20) then recheck you sound.

Thresholds shouldn't need to go much past -30(12 o'clock).. Also the Level buttons need to be set correctly..

Looking at your signal chain...You need to put the MaxonOD808 AFTER channel 1. Channel 1 of the ProRackG needs to see your clean, raw guitar signal.

The ProRackG is totally transparent..when set correctly...Ive A/B's it in and out my signal chain with a GCX to be sure..

')