ISP noise Decimators

• Thread starter enuenu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

enuenu

Reaction score
I know I want a noise gate. I have a Mesa 3 channel DR. My research so far seems to indicate ISP Decimators are the best. The question is whether to get the standard model or the more expensive G String model (which can be used in the loop)

Some of the technical advice on the differences between the two has me a bit confused as I have no experience in this area. I thought I would just buy the more expensive Decimator G String as I thought it would do exactly what the standard Decimator does PLUS some extra stuff. Thus in a worst case scenario (caused by lack of knowledge and experience in this tech stuff at purchase time) I would buy the G String version and not fully utilize its capabilities by just sticking it out in front of the amp. When I get to know how it all works a bit better I could use it in the lop as well.

However I have read a few comments that indicate that maybe the standard Decimator might actually work better than its more advanced G String brother in some circumstances, i.e. when I just want to quickly throw it out in front of the amp. I may also own other amps in the future. I sometimes swap amps with friends for a while, sometimes use an AC30 and sometimes even an old Roland JC60.

Which ISP Decimator should I buy? The extra $100 for the G String is neither here nor there for something I will use for years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

juice_74

Reaction score
I had both and sold the G-string, I needed a gate out the front for feedback as opposed to in the loop to get rid of amp hum. Go with the regular, if you want get both and put the gstring in the loop. Which is pretty much the same thing as the pro rack g

Tapew0rm

Reaction score
I have a 3 channel Dual Recto and the regular ISP decimator and it works great. Don't get the G String version unless you want to use for something else down the line with a working SERIES effects loop. Your Dual Rec (like mine) has a shitty worthless parallel loop whose soul purpose is to piss musicians off. :wallbash:

Deliverowned

Tabernach
Reaction score
lol @ the shitty parallel loop, mod it to series!

And I'd get 2 normal decimator over 1 g string.

So jsut get a regular one. I myself use one isp and one mxr smart gate.

enuenu

Reaction score
Sounds like I want the standard Decimator. However I have read that the actual gating in the G-String is superior to that in the standard Decimator. A standard Decimator that had the superir gating circuitry of the G-String sounds like it would be ideal if it existed.

enuenu

Reaction score
Just ordered a G-String from PGS. Got sick of analyzing this. Will see how it goes.

juice_74

Reaction score
Yeah I had both and preferred the regular coz I needed it to cut feedback and make my playing tighter by getting rid of crappy noise. The g string is best for in the loop to get rid of amp hum, waste of money for use out the front. Hope it helps you understand even though you already bought it, I learnt the hard way by buying em.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I had both and preferred the regular coz I needed it to cut feedback and make my playing tighter by getting rid of crappy noise. The g string is best for in the loop to get rid of amp hum, waste of money for use out the front. Hope it helps you understand even though you already bought it, I learnt the hard way by buying em.

Would it not let you just use the re-entry loop for your guitar out front?

In other words;

Can you just plug the guitar into the loop in, and run from the loop out jack into the amp's front-end? :scratch:

juice_74

Reaction score
Yeah I didn't want to put it to waste so I thought I'd keep it in the loop and then buy a regular for the front. Then the g string wasn't doing a whole lot so I sold it to by more gear :)

enuenu

Reaction score
If I've just wasted a bit of money getting the G-String over the standard Decimator that's OK. As long as it will actually do what the standard Decimator does. I can use the extra functionality down the track maybe (other amps etc).

I have read so many varied opinions on how to use this pedal that when I saw it on sale at PGS today I just bought it.

However my Mesa 3 channel DR has a parallel effect loop. I am reading now that the G-String only works with a series effects loop.

The one page manual shows that it can be put out front of the amp without involving the effects loop at all. I think. Am I right here? Have I made a mistake buying this pedal? Should I cancel the order or will it work with my DR?

Like I said, as long as it is just a case of me not maximizing its full functionality by putting it out front and it works in this fashion, I'm OK with that.
Mainly got it to get that high gain fast jackhammer stop/start chugging rhythm playing nice and tight. If it does this, I can tweak it for other uses later. For an extra $100 I'm not worried.

(Sorry for the double posting. Got involved in two similar threads)

juice_74

Reaction score
Yeah man you should be sweet with it. But yeah when you get it ultra tight you will lose a bit sustain, which sucks if you play stuff that requires you to hold long single notes. Rhythm wise it's awesome :)

')