Issue with picking

• Thread starter Glimpsed-AM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Glimpsed-AM

Reaction score
Alright, so I've been learning a song by Veil of Maya called "Crawl Back" and I'm struggling with the picking on the final breakdown of the song.

The specific part of the breakdown I'm having trouble on is where Marc plays the accented note (bending on the first fret) hits two open notes and does the accented note again. My problem is that the second accented note isn't on an upstroke, and the speed that it's played makes it difficult to do a second upstroke... But most of the Veil of Maya songs I know how to play any time he does a breakdown with accented notes like that, they ALWAYS tend to be on upstrokes.

Here's the song, the breakdown starts at 2:42, the part I'm referring to is about 2-3 seconds in.

EDIT: I just noticed the tab I have may be wrong, it sounds like he's doing three open notes during that part. That makes more sense to me since it would make that second accented note an upstroke.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Reading your post, not sure what your problem is as you seem to contradict yourself between where it falls and what stroke you need to execute.

At the end of the day, if you can't accent either stroke, work on that.

Glimpsed-AM

Reaction score
Reading your post, not sure what your problem is as you seem to contradict yourself between where it falls and what stroke you need to execute.

At the end of the day, if you can't accent either stroke, work on that.

Well, the way the tab is set up, the part I was having trouble on followed a 1-0-0-1 pattern with the 1's being the accented (bent) notes. If I played the first 1 as an upstroke, then the second 1 would have to be a downstroke, but either way I tried, it felt incredibly difficult and uncomfortable, but in my edit I said I listened to the song again and it sounded like it went 1-0-0-0-1.

(all the 1's are bent notes)
1-0-0-0-0---0-0--1-0-0-0-0---0-0--1-0-0-1--0-0-

That is the beginning of the breakdown and the part in bold was the part I struggled with. The song doesn't sound the same though. Like I said above, it sounds like there is an additional open note, if you play it with the additional note that second accented note of the bold part does last on an upstroke.

Hopefully I was able to clarify that a bit. :)

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
^^^ There is definitely no rhythm to his 'notation' which makes someone like me, who can't be bothered to listen to the song not bother to help anymore :lol:

')