Issues with Engl E530

Jimbo_of_the_dead

jimbo of the dead
Reaction score
I keep having issues with my pre amp. I originally thought it was my power amp but im curious if its the engl now. Perhaps time to replace the tube(s). I dont know whats in it and ive only had it a couple weeks and i honestly keep forgetting it has tubes. Its so small!

Problem: after its good and warmed up after a few minutes of playing it gets occasionall volume spikes and or hissing and signal loss. Which can last either several minutes, or a few seconds.

Ive attempted turning off the pre amp, turn off power amp, changed cords, changed my speaker cabs, and nothing seems to be directly influincing it either way. It either stops or not. Whatever it wants. I recently guessed tubes because i typically play on HI gain. It did its wierd thing and i switched to low gain and it appeared to help. But did it again later.

Please help. Im tired of having issues and have a show coming up very soon and need it to be ready

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

casketshrine

Reaction score
Have you tried contacting the Engl tech support?! I've had my E530 for over a year now, no issues whatsoever. Preamp tubes generally last a considerable amount of time, however there are exceptions. I'd contact the Engl tech support or try to find a local tech and get it checked out.

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
it can always be a bad tube, especially if you have JJ's in there.
The original ENGL tubes are another story.
My advice, change tubes and see what happens.

4Eyes

Reaction score
try to swap small tubes, there are only two in it. it's the easiest and fastest way how to find out if it's in tubes or not.

wakjob

Reaction score
Have you tried contacting the Engl tech support?! I've had my E530 for over a year now, no issues whatsoever. Preamp tubes generally last a considerable amount of time, however there are exceptions. I'd contact the Engl tech support or try to find a local tech and get it checked out.

Good luck with all that. I've been waiting about a month for a reply from Engl Tech support about pots for my Blackmore. :realmad:

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
it has two 12AX7s in it (this info can also be found in your manual) You can pick them up at the local Guitar Center (not the Engl ones obviously) but it will be enough for you to check them. Very easy to replace as well. They shouldn't be very expensive at GC

But your problem sounds like tubes. Im not a tech, just experience. But in lieu of changing the tubes, take it to a tech

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
The e530 used to ship out with two extra 12AX7s. I assume you don't have those. Otherwise, try the pencil test. Fire it up on the high gain setting, tap on each tube with the eraser end of a pencil. Weird noises mean the tube is likely bad and needs to be replaced. Totally something you can replace yourself.

Jimbo_of_the_dead

jimbo of the dead
Reaction score
Hmmmmm i will try this. Im dropping off thepower amp where i bought it from just to get it checked to be sure, and ill just get the tubes also. Its not like it wont need em eventually anyway.

No telling when they were last replaced anyhow. Ahhh the joys of buying used equipment.

')