It truly is a Facebook world: 1st Amendment Issues

• Thread starter pink freud
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Atomic Ass

Redefining Sound
Reaction score
I'm going to call bullshit right there. All software has bugs and if those bugs lead to memory such as buffer overflows or they are in services directly tied to a shell with escalated privileges you can do whatever the hell you want. I realize that you meant to say that Microsoft Windows includes these things by default but all of the common OS's are useful when approached with pragmatism as opposed to fanboyism. In reality all you have to do is become a desirable enough target to become truly vulnerable.
Starting a web browser via a root shell would fall under my definition of user intervention, and the only purpose I can conceive of needing to do so would be software testing, which should be done on machines with no critical information.

I understand that bugs exist, but a distributed community tends to jump on these things acceptably quickly for my experience and level of comfort. Microsoft places themselves at a distinct disadvantage (and their users, as well), by having so many of their bugs inherent to the design of the underlying system.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
Starting a web browser via a root shell would fall under my definition of user intervention, and the only purpose I can conceive of needing to do so would be software testing, which should be done on machines with no critical information.

I understand that bugs exist, but a distributed community tends to jump on these things acceptably quickly for my experience and level of comfort. Microsoft places themselves at a distinct disadvantage (and their users, as well), by having so many of their bugs inherent to the design of the underlying system.

Here is where MS has an advantage over apple though. Mac is positioned like playstation was awhile back (invincible). So on the user end a MS user is actually safer than an apple user IMO. I self protect my computer people who use Mac's do not and when the shit rolls down hill most apple users are too inexperienced to fix the problem. (obviously not all, but it is a simpler setup and therefore attracts an inherently less computer savvy audience).

Treeunit212

Not your bro, bro.
Reaction score
South Park is an amazing show, in that it tends to really sum up my feelings on issues better than I ever could.

This is basically the sub-conscious realization I made in Middle School that got me through and made me realize who I was.

“I did it, Grandma. I finally stood up for myself. I got really mean and I beat the snot out of Dr. Oz. I can’t lie; it felt kind of good at first. Since then, all I have is kind of this dark empty feeling. Then I realized, that’s how you must feel all the time. Poor ‘ole Grandma. I’ve been getting a lot of advice on how to deal with you: stand up to you, tell on you; but I kind of realize there’s just people like you out there all over the place. When you’re a kid, things seem like they’re going to last forever. But they’re not. Life changes and you won’t always be around. Some day you’re going to die; someday pretty soon. And when you’re lying in that hospital bed with tubes up your nose and that little pan under your butt to pee in, I’ll come visit you. I’ll come just to show you that I’m still alive and I’m still happy and you’ll die being nothing but you. Goodnight, Grandma!” - Butters

tumblr_m2e29jpRpD1qz7y27o1_500.png

bob123

Banned
Reaction score

You should really read that whole article lol...

"During April 2011, Hester had posted a picture of a co-worker as a humorous joke. According to Hester, the photo showed the co-worker with her pants around her ankles...."

Im ASSuming another teacher...

"The photo came to the attention of Lewis Cass Intermediate School District superintendent Robert Colby after a parent of a student at the school viewed the photo and complained to the school district...."

yeah...

This one isn't so bad, really. Id like to see the context of the other ones as well before getting up in arms.

Reaction score
I dont really care, I dont have anything to hide. Usually the type of people that are stupid enough to post pictures of themselves getting shit faced all the time and consuming loads of copious amounts of drugs are retarded anyways, so no loss. :)

flint757

Reaction score
I dont really care, I dont have anything to hide. Usually the type of people that are stupid enough to post pictures of themselves getting shit faced all the time and consuming loads of copious amounts of drugs are retarded anyways, so no loss. :)

Ya when did it become okay for that to be so public :lol:

That being said I've had pictures taken of me at a party. Blacking out is unpleasant when you get the photo's/vid's the next day :lol:

Treeunit212

Not your bro, bro.
Reaction score
You should really read that whole article lol...

"During April 2011, Hester had posted a picture of a co-worker as a humorous joke. According to Hester, the photo showed the co-worker with her pants around her ankles...."

Im ASSuming another teacher...

"The photo came to the attention of Lewis Cass Intermediate School District superintendent Robert Colby after a parent of a student at the school viewed the photo and complained to the school district...."

yeah...

This one isn't so bad, really. Id like to see the context of the other ones as well before getting up in arms.

I did read it. When I said it hit close to home, I meant quite literally in that it happened miles from where my dad grew up and my grandmother lived until she passed last year.

Hopefully the outcome of this case will shed some light on the court's stance on this relatively new privacy issue, at least in my state.

Latest posts

')