It's official, a """Pantera reunion""" is happening.

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Man, this does make me think of how rad a solid Pantera tribute line-up would be. Let Zakk be the face/brand recognition of it, have Gina Gleason as the second guitarist, bring on Troy from Mastodon to do vocals/bass, and then take your pick for a drummer.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
We all have rights to opinions but I guess it also makes sense to wait and see what comes of it and what they do with it. Alice in Chains is a band again with only half its original members. Alice in Chains. Without Layne. And it works. Was it an AIC cash grab because the solo thing didnt pan out? I dont think so. Pantera without dimebag seems very very odd but we shouldn’t rush to immediately call it disingenuous

AIC also still has their primary songwriter who wrote a shitload of the vocal melodies and lyrics while Layne was still alive. For all in tents with porpoises, Cantrell is like 75% of AIC.

I’d consider Pantera to be 75% Dime/Vinnie, 23% Phil and 2% Rex. Phil can and has done his vocals over other bands, Rex has been along for the ride for some of those just as he was in Pantera, but finding guys who could gel/write like Dime and Vinnie, eh, I dunno. It’s literally the same thing to me as Alex/Eddie.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
AIC also still has their primary songwriter who wrote a shitload of the vocal melodies and lyrics while Layne was still alive. For all in tents with porpoises, Cantrell is like 75% of AIC.
I wanted to say this earlier, but yeah.
AiC can go on without Layne, but they couldn't without Jerry.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Yeah, there was like a moment in time this could've been a cool, possibly one off tour, with Vinnie on drums when he was still around. Cuz Zakk was seemingly a close friend, so this would've at least had a chance of being a cool experience and not a greasy cash grab.

But, for reasons, that never happened. I get the feeling Vinnie would NOT have been cool with this for a number of reasons (Phil perhaps still being a big reason). But I don't know any of these dudes personally, so I can't speak to there sincerity. Suffice it say, it at least seems somewhat suspect that this is only being a thing now, years after both the brothers Abbott have left us. And if Vinny wouldn't have been down with this being a thing, I can't help but feel a bit skeevy at the prospect despite being a long time Pantera fan.

I'm glad I got to see them several times between '97 all the way up til they parted ways. They went hard live, in a way I've not seen too many other bands do since.
Yup this is what bothers me about the whole thing. Why now? Correct me if I'm wrong but Vin previously refused to do a reunion without Dime and things were never mended.

Would they be rolling in their graves or happy to see this? I feel if Dime was with us one day this would have happened but unfortunately he isn't and there is no way to know.

Since Vin previously refused then I can't say Hellyeah.

failsafe

Reaction score
Zakk on guitar and Jordan from AILD on drums would work for me.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
Hands down the best band covering Pantera I’ve ever seen. I would probably go see these guys before I’d see this “reunion” because it seems like it’s more an actual tribute to the band and the love of the songs and energy.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score

Attachments

• tumblr_oasjhgjCM71qjf67mo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_oasjhgjCM71qjf67mo1_500.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 26

bjjman

Reaction score
So it has been announced that it'll be Zakk Wylde and Charlie Benante doing the tour.

For those of you in the thread saying Phil wasn't a huge part of the Pantera sound, he was a freaking vocal powerhouse back in the day. Honestly hard to imagine them with another singer. He was also a hell of a front man. Just sad that he's made his legacy drink, drugs and white supremacist bullshit.

Rex was probably the smallest part of the equation in Pantera but, in my book, he still gets points for best post-Pantera band with Kill Devil Hill.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
I think it would be cool seeing some other great guitarists do some solos live, like Ola for example, he knows Dime's shit inside and out.

If they do that with some guest guitarists, I'd be interested to see the show - as long as they don't have Dave Mustaine ruining the solo like he did on the first Gigantour tour when some of the bands played Cemetery Gates live.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Listen..at best, Pantera was the Vinnie and Dime show. Phuckhead's vocals definitely helped but not enough for him to drag WhatsHisBass back into the fray and call it a Pantera reunion.
Most people besides diehard fanboys are sick of Phuckhead and his drugged up, white supremacist bullshit. He completely tarnished Pantera and whatever could be left.
I'm not even sure that Pantera would be all that relevant had they still been around now. You could replace WhatsHisBass with a sock puppet and no one would notice because nobody and I mean NOBODY gave a shit about the bass in Pantera. The only two good things in that band are dead and what's left is a crackhead racist and the guy who did the bass you could barely hear in Pantera songs.
This reunion is a cash grab and it's just those two making a move since Vinnie can't tell them to fuck off. This pleases only the most diehard "can't let it go" people who will take anything.
This is just like Rita trying to buck for cash since Vinnie isn't around to keep her from acting a fool. Apparently Vinnie was the dam that saved all of us from the idiot flood and now that he's not here we're all gonna drown in the greed of a bunch of nobodies trying to suck up some of that sweet nostalgia cash from Pantera's mouth breathing super fanbase.

Bodes

Reaction score
Pretty stoked for the Rita vs. Phil&Rex lawsuits. Gonna be like an episode of Springer with more white trash and confederate flags.

How is this even possible?
Or is it that there will be proportionately less non-white trash than on Springer?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Listen..at best, Pantera was the Vinnie and Dime show. Phuckhead's vocals definitely helped but not enough for him to drag WhatsHisBass back into the fray and call it a Pantera reunion.
Most people besides diehard fanboys are sick of Phuckhead and his drugged up, white supremacist bullshit. He completely tarnished Pantera and whatever could be left.
I'm not even sure that Pantera would be all that relevant had they still been around now. You could replace WhatsHisBass with a sock puppet and no one would notice because nobody and I mean NOBODY gave a shit about the bass in Pantera. The only two good things in that band are dead and what's left is a crackhead racist and the guy who did the bass you could barely hear in Pantera songs.
This reunion is a cash grab and it's just those two making a move since Vinnie can't tell them to fuck off. This pleases only the most diehard "can't let it go" people who will take anything.
This is just like Rita trying to buck for cash since Vinnie isn't around to keep her from acting a fool. Apparently Vinnie was the dam that saved all of us from the idiot flood and now that he's not here we're all gonna drown in the greed of a bunch of nobodies trying to suck up some of that sweet nostalgia cash from Pantera's mouth breathing super fanbase.
This is spot on.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
We all have rights to opinions but I guess it also makes sense to wait and see what comes of it and what they do with it. Alice in Chains is a band again with only half its original members. Alice in Chains. Without Layne. And it works. Was it an AIC cash grab because the solo thing didnt pan out? I dont think so. Pantera without dimebag seems very very odd but we shouldn’t rush to immediately call it disingenuous
...but with its main songwriter and putting out new music. So, not actually anything like this.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Zakk and Charlie deserve all the derision and more. Fuck em.
They got bills to pay. At least they're both legit players who were close with the Abbotts. This still sucks, but they'll try and do it right.
This has been cooking for a while, too. The Gibson thing proves that.

Perge

Reaction score
I love Zakk and Charlie
But nah this reunion is still fucked.
The Pantera reunion anyone should care about happened in Dallas at ozzfest after Dime died, and this is obviously a cash grab by washed up Phil (who Vinnie never reconciled with and practically blamed dimes death on him)

Honestly disappointed in zakk for agreeing to do it. Must be running out of money.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
...but with its main songwriter and putting out new music. So, not actually anything like this.
The fact they tried to make that comparison, when it isn't even apples to oranges, is hilarious. More like apples (AIC) to potatoes ("Pantera" or Shamtera, as they should be known).

')