Ivanez Necks

• Thread starter Rossness
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rossness

D A D F# A E
Reaction score
I think Ibanez makes great guitars but I’ve never liked their super thin necks. I recently played an RGD and was pleasently surprised. Its thin, but not as thin as I’m used to with Ibanez. Is it just me, or are these rgd necks thicker? Are there other ibanez guitars with thicker necks? I should note that I played an AZ once and hated the neck shape (it was also way thicker than a wizard). Are there any companies like warmoth that make replacement necks for ibanez guitars where I could order a thicker neck?

TIA

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ibanez has done a number of comparatively thicker necks. Anything with the Ultra profile, opposed to Wizard, would probably be worth looking into.

That said, the RGD just used thier standard profiles. Can't say what it was without knowing what RGD you played.

They've reserved thier thinnest profiles for certain high end RGs, so if you branch out you'll probably find something more to your liking.

Rossness

D A D F# A E
Reaction score
Ibanez has done a number of comparatively thicker necks. Anything with the Ultra profile, opposed to Wizard, would probably be worth looking into.

That said, the RGD just used thier standard profiles. Can't say what it was without knowing what RGD you played.

They've reserved thier thinnest profiles for certain high end RGs, so if you branch out you'll probably find something more to your liking.
It was an rgdix6. Ash body

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Synllip

Cyan
Reaction score
Usually the thinnest Ibanez necks are used in 6 string Prestige models called Wizard HP, anything lower than Prestige is going to have a typical wizard and lower fingerboard radius which can be more comfortable for some. I personally prefer the crazy thin and flat Ibby necks.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Wizard III necks are a little thicker then the regular Wizards. Almost the perfect IMO.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Usually the thinnest Ibanez necks are used in 6 string Prestige models called Wizard HP, anything lower than Prestige is going to have a typical wizard and lower fingerboard radius which can be more comfortable for some. I personally prefer the crazy thin and flat Ibby necks.

Wizard Harry Potter. Got it.

Also the Wizard 3 only ever seems to show up on “cheaper” models and is hands down their best neck IMO for people who like a thin C/U shape generally.

Metropolis

Reaction score
Wizard Nitro is like Wizard III without annoying blocky feeling shoulders, even Wizard II was better than III :p W-III is now just a one piece construction which makes it pretty flimsy and non stable. All thinner Ibanez necks are more like a D-shape, nowhere near U or C. From 6-string Ibby necks 18mm Wizard and Wizard HP Prestige were best for me in terms of shape, stability and finish.

devastone

Reaction score
The Wizard on the Prestige is 17mm IIRC, I just picked up a RG655 and am torn on whether I like it or not, definitely fast, but not as comfortable to wrap your hand around for "grip" chords and bending.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Here you go:

2i1cizc.jpg

Latest posts