Jack too big?

• Thread starter bennerman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bennerman

Reaction score
Ok, so I bought a guitar at the pawn shop (not telling you the price, it was embarasingly low... and it was also half off the embarassingly low price). So I went to plug it into my bass amp (lowest volume settings I could to prevent damage), and the output jack for the instrument is too big! Only by a hair's breadth, but too much for the plug to work. First of all, I don't even know how this is possible when these jacks were standardized in the '40's. Second, is there any way I can tighten it? I can't return it until after the half off sale, but if I try to replace the jack, then they won't take it back. I don't know what to do

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Ah, sounds like this guitar has been around the block. A guitar like that, from a seedy neighborhood, has probably had a lot of different inputs it's been with. You also might want to check for diseases.

/joking

Did you take it apart to look at it? It could be the inside detent is bent out of position. But really, if you have a soldering iron just replace it.

bennerman

Reaction score
Problem is, if I try to change it, and something else turns out to be wrong with it, they won't take it back. also, I don't know how to take it appart. My bass has a control cavity, this one doesn't. It does have a pickguard, but I can't get the knobs off and thus, can't remove it.

Update: Yeah, my dad is going to loan me the money to buy another one, which I will test in store and make sure is a brand I have heard off. Thanks for your help, guys

Demiurge

Reaction score
Problem is, if I try to change it, and something else turns out to be wrong with it, they won't take it back. also, I don't know how to take it appart. My bass has a control cavity, this one doesn't. It does have a pickguard, but I can't get the knobs off and thus, can't remove it.

Update: Yeah, my dad is going to loan me the money to buy another one, which I will test in store and make sure is a brand I have heard off. Thanks for your help, guys

SargeantVomit is probably right about what the problem is. It's kind of a shame to turn your back on a good deal that 5 minutes of elbow grease and $5 max is likely able to fix.

The money that can be saved by even getting a low-level understanding of guitar electronics- do not underestimate it.

Latest posts

')