Jack White?!

• Thread starter bostjan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Do you believe Jack White can shred?

• Yes, I've heard him shred and I will post the song title and/or concert to back it up.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • No, I highly doubt he can shred.

Votes: 41 39.8%
  • I have no idea.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Please kill me now.

Votes: 48 46.6%

• Total voters

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, where are the two people who voted yes? :lol:

I wouldn't say that fucking up a lot = the blues, but to each his own.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

telecaster90

Smokestack Lightning
Contributor
Reaction score
Metal Ken said:
I thought it was cool to show the lesser known side of jesus ;p

The side of Jesus you're mentioning is also in at least one of the Gospels:thepope:

I voted I don't know. Maybe he can. I don't know that much of his playing besides the two songs of his I heard on the radio.

Reaction score
Mr. Gaydar: Down, boy.

He doesn't play blues. He never said he played blues. He listens to a lot of blues, and applies more often the more basic ideas of blues (feel not technique, whatnot) to his playing.
That said, I don't think his "15 minutes" are ending anytime soon. He's not the most popular guitarist in the world at the moment, but rather seems to be settled into a more or less permanent position in the eyes of the people.
That also said, please stab people who make baseless claims about people's playing prowess . . . and people who are too obsessed with it. We've all got our own styles, and how well we live up to them is for us to decide, not a bunch of people demonstrating their "fetishes" by ranting against other people on a forum.

bat69420

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
Anyone that told you that jack white can shred thinks that shredding is a solo that lasts for more than 5 seconds and doesn't involve power chords.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
telecaster90 said:
The side of Jesus you're mentioning is also in at least one of the Gospels:thepope:

I voted I don't know. Maybe he can. I don't know that much of his playing besides the two songs of his I heard on the radio.

Gospel of Mark. But i like the omitted gospels cause they're way cooler.

He really doesnt shred. If you read about his guitar, he says its wicked hard to play, thus giving me the impression he doesnt care that much about it, or practicing or anything. just me though. I mean, if he really cared, he'd at least get a setup for it or something, you know?

metalrod

Reaction score
of course jack white can't shred cause it's jack white and he's in the white stripes!! if people like his music that's fine but they shouldn't make him out to be some kind of guitar shredding super hero. jack white is false! white stripes are cancelled :flex: :point:jack white

thepunisher

just another hairy viking
Reaction score
i do not like the white stripes or jack white. i believe that their gimick is retarded, and most of all, that neither can really play. however, i acknowledge that the white stripes will get more airtime than anyone on this site unless shannon get super lucky, and will always be thought of by some side of the population as great. to me, they are mediocre at best. then again, there are people who hate the sort of music i like, and bash it on a daily basis who prefere mr. white's style of music. EVEN THOUGH METAL IS THE TRUE MUSIC, saying that their music (the white stripes) is suicide inducingly painful would be putting me on the same level as those who say metal is suicide inducingly painful.

and yes, if white can shred, prove it. i do not believe that man can...its kind of like saying he can sing and play the guitar...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Eh, their earlier stuff (pre seven nation army and whatnot) I've heard captures a lot of the energy you see i Led Zep, just modernized... For what it is it isn't half bad, but it's not really my thing...

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
This thread is still here, and Jack still sucks. Why are you posting, Drew, shooting for 8000 by the end of the month? :lol:

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Shredding dosn't make someone a good guitar player anyway.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
That was never the issue, though.

I just want people to show me clips of him shredding if they claim he shreds.

I'm sick of arguing about it at this point, though. Last guy who told me he "shreds out pretty good" just got a quick subject change.

Now I'm really wishing I put an end date on this poll, because it keeps coming up, and the issue was never resolved.

malufet

ss.org Irregular
Reaction score
I'd pick prince over jack white anytime. They're both gay but prince can shred. hahaha

Pauly

Not so local lefty
Reaction score
untitled.jpg

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
(I realize you said this more than a month ago... but you're insults towards it have continued)

Mastodon said:
Shredding dosn't make someone a good guitar player anyway.
ok dude, you've said this multiple times, and I'm calling your ass out on an account of dumb ass.

SHREDDING takes skill... it makes you a GOOD GUITAR PLAYER.

SOME shred, not all, as you've made it to be... because you refuse to actually LISTEN TO IT... isn't pleasant to listen to. There are plenty of shred guitarists out there that aren't boring, and that don't just simply play as fast as they can.

Does shredding make someone a good MUSICIAN? No. You can play guitar really freaking well... but you're not a good musician. Stop mixing up musician and guitar player. They're two completely different things. Shred/virtuoso guitarists are lame, shred/virtuoso musicians are incredible.

Now please, stop talking from your rear end about shred... when you know absolutely nothing about it, and never listen to it. As someone who DOES listen, and DOES play and compose it, I can ACCURATELY make an assesment of the genre.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
David, it warms the cockles of my heart to know we have such a young but passionate defender of shred in our midst. :D

I can't really add anything, so I'll summarize - an abundance of technique doesn't make you a great guitar player, but then again to be a great guitar player, you need at least a certian degree of technical aptitude...

(that said, I don't think he's trying to insult you, bro, lol)

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
David said:
SHREDDING takes skill... it makes you a GOOD GUITAR PLAYER.

Does shredding make someone a good MUSICIAN? No. You can play guitar really freaking well... but you're not a good musician. Stop mixing up musician and guitar player. They're two completely different things. Shred/virtuoso guitarists are lame, shred/virtuoso musicians are incredible.

+1 Thank you for clarifying that so perfectly.

')