Jackson 7 String Fans - Chris Broderick 7 String Signature

• Thread starter djpharoah
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't too sure on the shape in the photos but after seeing the video, I like it. Doesn't look too weird when worn. I wonder what Dave thinks of this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
Well, from the way the guitar and the design has been received it's gonna be a fairly good seller as long as it's within a reasonable price range.

Chris Broderick really is a great guy to do a sig for, even though he may not be "famous" by any stretch of the imagination. However, pretty much every fan he has is pretty dedicated, and a large percentage of those fans are pretty serious guitar players themselves.

:agreed: Also strikes me as a person who won't chop and change at the drop of a hat. Reading his blog he appeared to take his time to look at the market and consider who he was to go with. I think it's a good snag for Jackson personally, as long as they don't drop the ball on bringing it to market.

cronux

Reaction score
don't like his jackson sig... the only thing that i like is the color and maby the headstock (on the 7 string model)... the shape and everything else :barf:

imo the ibanez 7 string was much better (i want the white one :D )

ibanezm.jpg

Seventary

Norwegian metalhead
Reaction score
don't like his jackson sig... the only thing that i like is the color and maby the headstock (on the 7 string model)... the shape and everything else :barf:

imo the ibanez 7 string was much better (i want the white one :D )

ibanezm.jpg

Agreed. :)

GeoMantic

Reaction score
Please release a white one. I would put aside money for that the moment they announced it. His white LACS was basically perfect.

I really hope they release a bolt-on version, but I don't see that ever happening.

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
That's the thing though, the Ibanez guy was at the show going off that none of the specs on the Jackson were remotely like anything he'd asked them for and he was shocked that he went neck-thru on it as well.

To expand on what -Oracle- has mentioned, apart from the plain fretboard, radius, natural binding, reverse headstock, mahogony scalloped archtop body with transparent black finish on quilt maple top, low-pro trem and DiMarzios there's no similarity whatsoever. :cool:

If he'd come out with a neon-green splatter, fixed bridge, through-neck, maple fretboarded, 7-string Warrior with EMGs for example, that would've been nothing remotely like his LACS. :)

Ibanez for whatever reason didn't do enough to keep him on board and that statement from Ibanez looks very much like backpeddling/asscovering from where I'm sitting.

Anyway, we're never going to know the real reasons, so I'm just going to content myself with looking at Soloist pr0n and thinking about selling body parts.

fearhk213

Reaction score
Man I haven't lusted after a guitar like this in a while. :drool:

I can definitely see why some say it has some Suhr Modern similarities. To me it has a Suhr Modern meets Dean Bel Aire thing going on. But I digress...

Of course you never know till you actually play it yourself, but that thing looks like it balances like a dream while playing standing up. The video seems to confirm that. The neck kind of pitches up like my Les Paul does and my old King V used to, which is a big plus in my book. I'm really digging the control layout too. The pickup selector looks easy to get to, but seems to be out of the way enough. Only thing I'd change if I could would be to swap that Floyd for a string-through fixed bridge.

Oh, I talked with a Jackson dealer who called Jackson while I was on the phone with him & he confirmed that the neck is a 12" radius & the custom shop models will be identical to Broderick's. He confirmed a MIJ model, but any details about specs & eta at this point are merely speculation.

I want, I want, I want, I want, I.....

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Ibanez for whatever reason didn't do enough to keep him on board and that statement from Ibanez looks very much like backpeddling/asscovering from where I'm sitting.

Anyway, we're never going to know the real reasons, so I'm just going to content myself with looking at Soloist pr0n and thinking about selling body parts.
No, if you see them up close while alike to some regards they're definitely not the same plus the shape, the actual trem, the controls, and the fact it's neck-thru, but yes looking dead on small things like color inlays etc are. The reason he switched was apparently because the guys were taking specs off his guitars and using them on others w/o permission and they wouldn't give him a 7 string Sig. The only reason they wouldn't was because he's not allowed to play the 7 so "How are we supposed to market a 7 string that he'll never play?" Also he apparently didn't tell them till like 2 weeks before the show and they had to reprint ALL the new catalogs. :eek:

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
Nah, it was mentioned on here before, afaik Steve Vai has a special contract with Ibanez regarding sevenstring sigs, the Korn dudes said it in an interview, since the only reason they got theirs is because they allegedly called Vai and asked for permission.

Still don't know if that's true or not, but I'm sure that's the deal ROAR mentioned.

Yeup this is exactly what I was talking about.
Chris is known really for being a 7 string guy
and if he couldn't get a good deal out of Ibanez
I'm sure he just wanted to take his business elsewhere.

And I'm sure Korn didn't just call Steve and ask nicely.
There has to be some profit in for him.

Good business deal though.

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
No, if you see them up close while alike to some regards they're definitely not the same plus the shape, the actual trem, the controls, and the fact it's neck-thru, but yes looking dead on small things like color inlays etc are.

I think it honestly depends on the observer and how much weight they put to the similarities and differences in design. My argument is that you can see the obvious DNA of his LACS in the new model, so in that respect it is not completely different. If you look at say a Caparison Horus and a Jackson Falcon you can see the obvious commonalities between the two despite different finishes etc etc.

Anyway, I guess it's a matter of semantics at the end of day, and at what point you determine a design to be sufficiently removed from another. Without agreeing on a common set of parameters on which to define what is different and what weight to give them, the argument will just run around in circles ad infinitum.:shrug:

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any idea on how much this is gonna be?

Jackson CS prices aren't for the faint of heart. If you contact any dealer they can get you a price.

Don't plan on it being cheaper than at least $4k for the USA Jackson Custom Shop model. The Japanese models... that's a different ball game.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
With regards to Ibanez and the Steve Vai agreement, did John Petrucci ever have a seven string signature?

I know I saw him playing Ibanez 7s and I fell in love with the black and white picasso one, but I can't recall ever seeing a 7 on offer in the catalogue...:spock:

Can anyone maybe clarify the Vai thing a little more, is it a profit sharing thing or a legal bind to prevent other 7s or just a licensing thing for him being accredited with the first production 7s? :scratch:

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
With regards to Ibanez and the Steve Vai agreement, did John Petrucci ever have a seven string signature?

I know I saw him playing Ibanez 7s and I fell in love with the black and white picasso one, but I can't recall ever seeing a 7 on offer in the catalogue...:spock:

Can anyone maybe clarify the Vai thing a little more, is it a profit sharing thing or a legal bind to prevent other 7s or just a licensing thing for him being accredited with the first production 7s? :scratch:

I don't think Petrucci did, and I really don't know how Vai could have some kind of deal for exclusivity, but I can see it happening, somehow. I don't know what the fuck, man :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

This whole "Vai has a secret blood pact with Ibanez over 7-strings." is just a rumor that went waaaaay out of control. I've yet to see any proof. With all the artists, employees, and press people involved you'd figure there would be something, anything even remotely looking official on the matter.

As for JP, he never had a 7-string production Ibanez. The only 7s he had were a couple Ibanez UV7BK "Green Dot"s and a couple of LACS 7s which were the Picasso models he's been pictured with.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
This whole "Vai has a secret blood pact with Ibanez over 7-strings." is just a rumor that went waaaaay out of control. I've yet to see any proof. With all the artists, employees, and press people involved you'd figure there would be something, anything even remotely looking official on the matter.

As for JP, he never had a 7-string production Ibanez. The only 7s he had were a couple Ibanez UV7BK "Green Dot"s and a couple of LACS 7s which were the Picasso models he's been pictured with.

You don't understand, Vai is a wizard. The DNAs were a blood pact forged to strengthen his control over the minds of men.

')