Jackson 8 String (4+4) Custom Shop on eBay

• Thread starter Xibuque
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
That headstock fits way better than the hockey bat on their 8-string prototype last year. It's looking good, that is for sure. 25.5 on an 8 is not for me, though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Love the finish. Also glad they changed the headstock, this one looks pretty much perfect.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Eh I guess, I've never had an 8-string. I was just thinking that my 9-string is that size or a little bit more narrow.

Just imagine your RG7420 but with an extra string (and the associated spacing), as it's pretty close.

celticelk

Reaction score
It's like saying a black Lamborghini Murcielago is nothing worth writing home about. It's a Jackson CS and it'll definitely pimp slap the shit out of the majority of 8s publicly available.

I don't understand that at all. Admittedly, I have no experience with major-builder custom shops, so maybe there's some secret-sauce thing that I don't have a clue about, but just looking at the photo and the specs, I don't see anything that suggests that this is substantially different from, say, a 2228, or one of the new Carvins. I certainly don't understand why anyone would pay $4000 for this guitar - the woods involved are not exotic, the pickups are commonly available, there's no flashy paint or inlay or intricate wiring schemes.... What am I missing here? Is it just that it's ultra-rare and therefore a collector's item?

nsimonsen

Reaction score
Although it is plain, I really like it. Would love to see it in a satin finish and maybe some different colour pickup covers to make it stand out a little more.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't understand that at all. Admittedly, I have no experience with major-builder custom shops, so maybe there's some secret-sauce thing that I don't have a clue about, but just looking at the photo and the specs, I don't see anything that suggests that this is substantially different from, say, a 2228, or one of the new Carvins. I certainly don't understand why anyone would pay $4000 for this guitar - the woods involved are not exotic, the pickups are commonly available, there's no flashy paint or inlay or intricate wiring schemes.... What am I missing here? Is it just that it's ultra-rare and therefore a collector's item?

The fact that it's better built and with higher quality materials than the greater majority of 8-string guitars on here has to count for something.

Granted, a nice chunk of that price comes from the fact it's made in the USA by a highly established shop.

Guitars are more than their spec sheets.

As someone who has owned several Carvin (six in fact), a whole bunch of MIJ Ibanez guitars, and have played numerous USA and a couple CS Jacksons, I can say that this guitar will most likely destroy a Carvin and all but the highest echelon Ibanez (think JC).

celticelk

Reaction score
The fact that it's better built and with higher quality materials than the greater majority of 8-string guitars on here has to count for something.

Granted, a nice chunk of that price comes from the fact it's made in the USA by a highly established shop.

Guitars are more than their spec sheets.

As someone who has owned several Carvin (six in fact), a whole bunch of MIJ Ibanez guitars, and have played numerous USA and a couple CS Jacksons, I can say that this guitar will most likely destroy a Carvin and all but the highest echelon Ibanez (think JC).

What "higher quality materials"? There's no hardware on this guitar that you couldn't get on a sub-$1000 import Schecter ATX - tuners, bridge, pickups. None of the woods are exotic or figured, and the alder and maple are domestic, so import costs are low. If you built this *exact* guitar using Carvin's builder, you'd pay around $1500 for it, and that's also an American-built instrument. What can Jackson possibly do that justifies a 100% increase in price?

I agree that guitars are not their spec sheets. And I freely admit that I am on a far lesser level of technical ability than quite a few players here, and maybe at that level, the small differences in fit and finish between individual luthiers and shops can make a difference in your relationship to an instrument in a way that justifies that increased cost. I don't know. From where I'm standing, I just can't see it.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
As the owner of Carvins and USA Jacksons, and having played many more, I can confidently say that IMHO what Max says is truth. Jackson uses some great tone woods, and the work the USA Custom Shop does is top notch, I am sure this guitar is well worth the money.

ALso from the Jacksons I have played they got some of the best fretwork out there.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
What "higher quality materials"? There's no hardware on this guitar that you couldn't get on a sub-$1000 import Schecter ATX - tuners, bridge, pickups. None of the woods are exotic or figured, and the alder and maple are domestic, so import costs are low. If you built this *exact* guitar using Carvin's builder, you'd pay around $1500 for it, and that's also an American-built instrument. What can Jackson possibly do that justifies a 100% increase in price?

I agree that guitars are not their spec sheets. And I freely admit that I am on a far lesser level of technical ability than quite a few players here, and maybe at that level, the small differences in fit and finish between individual luthiers and shops can make a difference in your relationship to an instrument in a way that justifies that increased cost. I don't know. From where I'm standing, I just can't see it.

The Jackson CS will no doubt have amazing fretwork and choice of woods above most companies as well as thoughtfully placed body carves and clean construction. If that doesnt justify it for you then the following might. Aside from a 12"-16" compound radius fretboard, there is one thing that actually does make this particular guitar unique above all else and that's the asymmetrical neck!

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score

The woods used in sub-$1000 imports is not even stuff you find on tables at Ikea man. It's just low end woods, multiple pieces and very very low grade stuff. The impiort stuff also uses "mahogany" family woods but they are very low grade for musical instruments.

This or any other Jackson CS guitar will have the very best woods out there in terms of quality, their workmanship and construction will smoke those imports and Carvins imo.

It's kinda of weird to say it without knowing if you've ever played anything higher grade. Once you hold a higher grade guitar (USA Jackson, CS Jackson) right away from playing it you'll know, the playability, the feel, and most importantly the tone. I've owned a few Carvins and no matter what their wood configurations they all sounded thin and lightweights.

The justification comes to those who are willing to pay for the additonal quality. Like saying why buy a Ford when you can by a Merc S-class - both do the same things right but are they the same?

Trust me - if you can't tell the difference then you're in a good spot according to me. Once you learn to tell the difference you're going to be a lot more into tone chasing and it'll result in less $$ in your pocket :lol:

So if the 8 string Carvin works for ya - then yes for you it makes no difference.

:2c:

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
While Im totally unimpressed with the 25.5" scale length, Im sure this Jackson does smoke all 8 strings you typically see. For about the same cost, this is really the only 8 string I could see myself choosing over the Jackson:

But a Mayones, ESP, Schecter, KxK, Vik, BRJ or any other custom 8 string including Carvin will come with a wait. This Jackson has got to not only be one of the best 8 strings with respect to overall quality as stated but also be the best 8 string that's available right now!!!

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
The woods used in sub-$1000 imports is not even stuff you find on tables at Ikea man. It's just low end woods, multiple pieces and very very low grade stuff. The impiort stuff also uses "mahogany" family woods but they are very low grade for musical instruments.

This or any other Jackson CS guitar will have the very best woods out there in terms of quality, their workmanship and construction will smoke those imports and Carvins imo.

It's kinda of weird to say it without knowing if you've ever played anything higher grade. Once you hold a higher grade guitar (USA Jackson, CS Jackson) right away from playing it you'll know, the playability, the feel, and most importantly the tone. I've owned a few Carvins and no matter what their wood configurations they all sounded thin and lightweights.

The justification comes to those who are willing to pay for the additonal quality. Like saying why buy a Ford when you can by a Merc S-class - both do the same things right but are they the same?

Trust me - if you can't tell the difference then you're in a good spot according to me. Once you learn to tell the difference you're going to be a lot more into tone chasing and it'll result in less $$ in your pocket :lol:

So if the 8 string Carvin works for ya - then yes for you it makes no difference.

:2c:

Mesh hit the nail on the hear here.

Except it depends on the Ford, I'd take a Super Duty over anything :yesway:

/Redneckness

Like he said, once you have played a USA Select or CS Jackson you can tell the difference. Plus you know Jackson's QC will be top notch.

Seeing as the people in this thread defending Jackson have owned and worked on many guitars, I would take their word for it.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I don't mind the standard scale as I'd probably tune it up to G or G# anyway. If this were nearer 3k I'd genuinely consider it (just came into some cash AND got paid) because I want a custom grade standard scale 7 or 8.

Leonardo7, I know where you can get a Mayones 8 for €2100 + shipping, there are quite a few in stock around Europe. I thought that was what I was gunna buy this time around but the more I look at them the more I find only my Regius appeals to me :lol:

noob_pwn

Reaction score
fucking jawdropping but what where they smoking with that scale length

Status
Not open for further replies.
')