Jackson American Series

• Thread starter DaddleCecapitation
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So they got the post angle wrong instead of the whole floyd route being off-center.

Jackson are slowly getting there :lol:
This was probably sixteen, seventeen years ago, but I once saw a brand new USA Select Soloist hanging in a dealer’s showroom with the whole TOM and neck so far out of alignment that the high E was riding along the edge of the frets, waiting to fall off with every note. What a shame, too, since the fit and finish and maple top were beautiful apart from that. It was so close to being a great guitar, but it was ruined. The one next to it was perfect and even more striking, and I ended up buying it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
This was probably sixteen, seventeen years ago, but I once saw a brand new USA Select Soloist hanging in a dealer’s showroom with the whole TOM and neck so far out of alignment that the high E was riding along the edge of the frets, waiting to fall off with every note. What a shame, too, since the fit and finish and maple top were beautiful apart from that. It was so close to being a great guitar, but it was ruined. The one next to it was perfect and even more striking, and I ended up buying it.

This is why I am excited about this new American series. The USA Selects and Custom shop stuff has been so hit and miss and some of the issues they have had made some of the guitars almost unplayable. These on the whole have been pretty consistent quality which is great.

tedtan

Reaction score
This is why I am excited about this new American series. The USA Selects and Custom shop stuff has been so hit and miss and some of the issues they have had made some of the guitars almost unplayable. These on the whole have been pretty consistent quality which is great.
Was that really that common, though, or just a couple of incidents that were blown out of proportion on the internet?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was that really that common, though, or just a couple of incidents that were blown out of proportion on the internet?

There were a couple fairly big fails, like wrong fret count, in a short time span, and there are much smaller "oops" kind of builds that pop up like wrong inlays/material or wood choice, and then the usual level of custom shop static like color matches that don't turn out just right.

The idea that the JCS is some sort of roulette as far as what comes out is just internet hype by folks who don't really order these kinds of guitars at any real frequency.

I mean for awhile I was checking out ever CS Jackson I could get my hands on and they're really still amazing guitars at least 95% of the time.

Folks have this notion in their heads that some of these large legacy shops are entirely faultless, and when the inevitable bad build comes up they just way over-compensate by making a big deal of it all.

I can be picky as shit when it comes to quality stuff and I'd still order a Jackson in a heartbeat if I could get the Masterbuilt I want. Someday they'll open up again. Right? :lol:

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I can be picky as shit when it comes to quality stuff and I'd still order a Jackson in a heartbeat if I could get the Masterbuilt I want. Someday they'll open up again. Right? :lol:

We can only hope.

That said, I’m kind of putting up a mental defense of “3+ year wait, $12K for an 8 string 24 fret King Kelly with no cutouts” in my mind if they start taking Masterbuilt orders again anytime soon.

I might be getting ready to sell one of my Soloists to buy another Aristides, but I will own a made for me custom shop Jackson at some point in my life. I’ve wanted one since I was 11.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I remember a time when I got a USA Select SL2H with sloppy glue around the frets and various finish flaws. I sent it back for another one and that one had issues with little chips of ebony out of the fretboard and other finish flaws. I later order a B7 Deluxe and that had a crack in the ebony fretboard from the 24 to 16 frets. I returned that one too.

That said I have played and owned some great USA Jacksons, (And the USA Charvels I have are Incredible) however Carvin / Kiesel and Jackson are two companies I have experience the most "Hit and Miss" models I have owned. I also own / have owned Schecter USA, Suhr, PRS, ESP/E-II/LTD, Charvel USA and Pro Mod, Gibson, Fender, Vola, ect. And have had better luck.

When Jackson makes a good guitar, it's a DAMN good guitar. This could be my experience and luck, but I do hope they get it together...

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I remember a time when I got a USA Select SL2H with sloppy glue around the frets and various finish flaws. I sent it back for another one and that one had issues with little chips of ebony out of the fretboard and other finish flaws. I later order a B7 Deluxe and that had a crack in the ebony fretboard from the 24 to 16 frets. I returned that one too.

That said I have played and owned some great USA Jacksons, (And the USA Charvels I have are Incredible) however Carvin / Kiesel and Jackson are two companies I have experience the most "Hit and Miss" models I have owned. I also own / have owned Schecter USA, Suhr, PRS, ESP/E-II/LTD, Charvel USA and Pro Mod, Gibson, Fender, Vola, ect. And have had better luck.

When Jackson makes a good guitar, it's a DAMN good guitar. This could be my experience and luck, but I do hope they get it together...
I'm pretty surprised my the variability in guitars, or their QC. I have bought a bunch of ESPs recently. Original Series, USA, and E-II. They've all been a bit hit or miss. The good ones are phenomenal. Some of the not so good ones just had a bit dodgy fretwork but otherwise are fine and that was easily fixed. But one of the ones I had was an absolute disaster that thankfully I was able to return.

tedtan

Reaction score
There were a couple fairly big fails, like wrong fret count, in a short time span, and there are much smaller "oops" kind of builds that pop up like wrong inlays/material or wood choice, and then the usual level of custom shop static like color matches that don't turn out just right.

The idea that the JCS is some sort of roulette as far as what comes out is just internet hype by folks who don't really order these kinds of guitars at any real frequency.

I mean for awhile I was checking out ever CS Jackson I could get my hands on and they're really still amazing guitars at least 95% of the time.

Folks have this notion in their heads that some of these large legacy shops are entirely faultless, and when the inevitable bad build comes up they just way over-compensate by making a big deal of it all.

That’s what I was thinking. (And I do remember that 23 fret guitar).

ThomasUV777

Reaction score

I've managed to roll snake-eyes three times with the JCS:

* First order didn't match color nor top
* Second attempt on this guitar they left the back natural while it had to be stained

* Foolishly I made another attempt for a completely new order. After a couple of questions from the dealer and the Jackson sales rep, I got an answer back today (after waiting for over 2 months on the quote) to let me know that the color I wanted (Emerald Green) is not available anymore.

Don't worry, I blame myself at this point.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've managed to roll snake-eyes three times with the JCS:

* First order didn't match color nor top
* Second attempt on this guitar they left the back natural while it had to be stained

* Foolishly I made another attempt for a completely new order. After a couple of questions from the dealer and the Jackson sales rep, I got an answer back today (after waiting for over 2 months on the quote) to let me know that the color I wanted (Emerald Green) is not available anymore.

Don't worry, I blame myself at this point.

Paint is weird.

For something so essential, it's pretty crazy how non-standardized it is, even at these big legacy shops.

There are recipe cards, but they're old and they still need to be mixed by hand and eye by the painter, who doesn't have access to every color on hand, and pretty much wings it a lot of the time. Certain low volume colors are a nightmare when you've never sprayed it before, which happens.

This isn't unique to Jackson though. When I worked at the shop, I'd say 90% of custom shop orders that required returns or refunds or redos were finish related.

Not diminishing what you had to deal with at all.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
There are recipe cards, but they're old and they still need to be mixed by hand and eye by the painter, who doesn't have access to every color on hand, and pretty much wings it a lot of the time. Certain low volume colors are a nightmare when you've never sprayed it before, which happens.
I always wondered if this was the case.

Take Black Cherry.

I love the USA Jackson and 90’s Japanese Jackson/Charvel Black Cherry metallic. I think the one Warmoth does is pretty similar. But then you get a solid Black Cherry from places like ESP, Schecter, or Tom Anderson, or Suhr, even Fender, and they’re all different. Then looking through places like House Of Kolor and the shades are there, just with different names.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I always wondered if this was the case.

Take Black Cherry.

I love the USA Jackson and 90’s Japanese Jackson/Charvel Black Cherry metallic. I think the one Warmoth does is pretty similar. But then you get a solid Black Cherry from places like ESP, Schecter, or Tom Anderson, or Suhr, even Fender, and they’re all different. Then looking through places like House Of Kolor and the shades are there, just with different names.

There's a lot more to it than ordering the color from HoK or something, especially for stuff like candy, flake, metallic, and absolutely anything transparent.

marke

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got my Am SL3 today. Initial impression is off the charts playability, few small tooling marks on the fretboard (visible only against strong light) and the nut is very very slightly more on the bass side. Is this common? When I play the guitar I don't notice it and strings seem to be in line.

Anyway, it is not perfect as per above, but seems like a pretty good guitar for the money given the current prices. Still haven't decided if I will keep it, but it is tempting as I haven't played a guitar that feels better to play. Fast, thin neck, with a soft and almost non-resonant touch. Feels like butter with 0 resistance.

marke

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here's a picture btw. Looks like a return right?
nutcenter.jpg

marke

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I though this was a guitar forum :) While admittedly great here, playability is not a very good metric in higher-end priced guitars. It's to be expected. I haven't tried indonesian Jacksons, maybe they play just as well if they have same neck profile and radius? Personally I'm looking to pay for build quality at this price point. Much like E-II vs OS. A brand where I have more experience with. Many of them play the same, but OS has smaller chance of quality issues IME.

I kinda expect US made guitar be better in quality terms vs Indo. 🤷‍♂️

ThomasUV777

Reaction score
playability is not a very good metric in higher-end priced guitars

Wait, you considered it to be a pretty good guitar for the money given the current prices. It has great playability. What's the issue here? The slight offset? Not even an issue if it plays so great.

marke

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wait, you considered it to be a pretty good guitar for the money given the current prices. It has great playability. What's the issue here? The slight offset? Not even an issue if it plays so great.
Yeah, I think I'm done explaining myself after this post :D People gonna take things black/white it seems.

But if you want an analogy - you buy a high-end computer monitor that is otherwise great, but has a dead pixel in the mid. Some people are bothered by it, but will not notice it while playing games or watching Netflix. They can still be bothered by it, spending ton of money on something that doesn't meet expectations. Some people are not bothered by it at all because the practical implications are close to zero, and keep the monitor.

I already said in my first post it's not perfect and have not yet decided if I keep it. Guitar can be a good one and have a quality defect at the same time. I'm simply trying to figure out if it bothers me enough as it doesn't seem to affect playability. It is still a clear defect in a high-end guitar. If this was 2nd hand I would not give a flying f.

Thomann has probably slim chances to get a replacement. If they had multiple in the warehouse, I would like a perfect specimen of the same guitar. Some people wouldn't. That's their money and guitar.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What if you send it back and get one where you can't fault the nut but that one doesn't sound as good? Worth it?

I literally can't even see the issue but it's up to you how to handle it.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Here's a picture btw. Looks like a return right?View attachment 118057
Do you accidentally push the low E off the fretboard somewhat frequently?

If not and it otherwise plays well, I'd just keep it. But if you do find yourself constantly pushing that string over the edge, then I would do something about it I guess.

Either return it or fill and redrill the nut.

')