Jackson/Charvel 2018 Line Up/NAMM Speculation Thread

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
I think some of the weirdness of the current relic trend is that they are copying how a nitrocellulose finish wears on guitars that have almost always been poly finished (such as most jacksons). And believe me poly does not relic pretty, I have a genuine beaten to hell old poly finished guitar you get dings on top of dings sometimes indenting the body wood. None of this smooth wear that looks like it's been put up to a belt sander to strip the paint a bit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xzacx

Reaction score
I think some of the weirdness of the current relic trend is that they are copying how a nitrocellulose finish wears on guitars that have almost always been poly finished (such as most jacksons). And believe me poly does not relic pretty, I have a genuine beaten to hell old poly finished guitar you get dings on top of dings sometimes indenting the body wood. None of this smooth wear that looks like it's been put up to a belt sander to strip the paint a bit.

They actually do normally use nitro on their relic'd models. I don't know if that's the case here, but for example:

https://www.themusiczoo.com/product...tro-aged-king-v-electric-guitar-vanilla-shake

I think they just overdid these. While it's not the look I'd want, the one I linked to doesn't look AS bad as these.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
They actually do normally use nitro on their relic'd models. I don't know if that's the case here, but for example:

https://www.themusiczoo.com/product...tro-aged-king-v-electric-guitar-vanilla-shake

I think they just overdid these. While it's not the look I'd want, the one I linked to doesn't look AS bad as these.
Yeah they do use nitro for the relic models. I was more getting at that most of the guitars Jackson has made have been poly finished don't wear that way in the slightest.

Aso

Single Hum Zealot
Reaction score
Thanks! Man, just that corner was perfect, not sure how I feel about the whole thing or a 3x3 on a Jackson rhoads shape.
Ya I am not sure about the 3x3 headstock on a Rhoads. Just looks off balance. I have been tempted to get a King V with that head stock but how many V's is too many is what is currently stopping me.

Obsidian Soul

Reaction score
Anyone know what this teaser pic belongs to?

26841461_10154998277481744_2480373530033658203_o.jpg
There looks like a small crack above the screw on the output jack on the edge of the guitar

xzacx

Reaction score
Yeah they do use nitro for the relic models. I was more getting at that most of the guitars Jackson has made have been poly finished don't wear that way in the slightest.

Oh yeah, exactly. They get chips, not smooth wear. These NAMM ones don't look like either though.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Honestly, the BEST relic would be a really pristine guitar with one really bad ding in it with the paint falling off in the area, the subsequent sinking, depressing feeling of self loathing, and then some attempts at patchwork with acrylic paint from Michael's, and a little bit of nail polish and cyanoacrylate. That's a true relic.

Jesus. That's what happened to my CS Soloist when I just got her. I was changing pickups then I dropped the pickup and the ear dinged the body DEEP. That was more depressing than losing a girlfriend.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
My 90’s Jackson has dents with dents just like that. It was mistreated. But has zero “wear” like a nitro finish.

bulb

Reaction score
Relic'd guitars are nitro

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Yngwie’s Duck ain’t nitro and looks pretty cool. I don’t think it’s what a modern poly finish would be, though.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
Yngwie’s Duck ain’t nitro and looks pretty cool. I don’t think it’s what a modern poly finish would be, though.
70's strats were weird in that they had poly base coats and nitro top coats and body color coats. No idea why they thought that was a good idea.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got a quote from my local dealer - the Dave Davidson WR7 Pro Series is going to retail in Australia for about $3kAUD (equivalent to about $2.4kUSD). Ouch.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Just take a vacation to the US and buy it here. Holy shit that’s bad.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Just take a vacation to the US and buy it here. Holy shit that’s bad.

From memory the retail in the US is a touch over $1700, $700US is practically 2/3rds of the way to a return ticket to the states haha!

They won't get here until June either, they land in the States from April and they are shipped here via sea which is 6-8 weeks transit time. Might be waiting a while haha.

BillCosby

Reaction score
From memory the retail in the US is a touch over $1700, $700US is practically 2/3rds of the way to a return ticket to the states haha!

They won't get here until June either, they land in the States from April and they are shipped here via sea which is 6-8 weeks transit time. Might be waiting a while haha.

It's 1300 on the websites that have it listed already. I saw it on American musical.com

Latest posts

')