Jackson/Charvel/EVH 2024

• Thread starter JimF
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oracles

Reaction score
Hopefully the second drop this year is more exciting from Jackson, nothing released so far that I'm even remotely into. (All I want is more KE and WR models)

Hoping for revised DD sig Warriors and some sort of Vogg sig.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No I wasn’t referring to the shark lol. Yeah those never sold out. I’m shocked it was “rereleased”. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just EVHgear pushing NOS.

But Circles, Star, and the Striped Series Wolfgang were going for crazy prices. At one point the Red striped ones hit $5k.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I’m sure dealers will be stoked to have more Sharks when they still have stock sitting around from 2020 or whenever that initial run was.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I’m sure dealers will be stoked to have more Sharks when they still have stock sitting around from 2020 or whenever that initial run was.

I’m just torn between one of the Stripes Series Wolfgangs, the Circles Frankie, or the Silverburst Wolfgang.

There’s also a couple Charvels and an Ibanez I have my eye on.

manu80

Reaction score
about the EVH shark etc....just wondering if even if some 1K guitar goes to 5K 3 yrs after, do people really buy it ?
I think those are niche models, where people do know what they're after and their value.
You can put them at 5k and wait to have an offer at 3, which is still a great margin, but do people really think they're gonna sell them ?
That specualtion (particularly on reverb ) is just dumb as f....

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’m just torn between one of the Stripes Series Wolfgangs, the Circles Frankie, or the Silverburst Wolfgang.

There’s also a couple Charvels and an Ibanez I have my eye on.

Seems like the new drop of Stripes/Circles guitars will hold their value pretty well. But you could always do the SSO thing and get one of everything.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Nice to see Chris DeGarmo finally get a sig guitar from ES-
Wait
*Checks notes*
...Jackson

I wouldn't be surprised if that was influenced by that custom ESP CDG replica Diablo Guitars got last year lol

Marked Man

Reaction score
No I wasn’t referring to the shark lol. Yeah those never sold out. I’m shocked it was “rereleased”. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just EVHgear pushing NOS.

But Circles, Star, and the Striped Series Wolfgang were going for crazy prices. At one point the Red striped ones hit $5k.

I remember almost buying a Wolfgang Striped Bumblebee with Floyd for $900, but I hesitated, and it was gone. This was about a year before King Edward's death. I made a $900 bid on a super rare Wolfgang Ash (natural) with Floyd the day before EVH died, and the guy claims he didn't see it, and then somebody snatched it Buy It Now. Prices have never been normal since then......

:wallbash:

Glad I snatched my EVH '79 Bumblebee Strat when prices were normal. It has a surprisingly THICC neck, but I love it! And the Wolfgang pickup is perfect. That guitar really made me think more about the possibility of......gasp.....turning the volume knob down instead of switching channels all the time.

Zhysick

Reaction score

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Music Works listed a few RRs for sale at reverb that I dont remember seeing in the last years lineup.

Concept series RR24 (MIK):
View attachment 136528

Pro Plus series RR24 (MIC):
View attachment 136529
View attachment 136530

Some other stuff too. For example a King Kelly.

For those of us who care, that concept series RR24 has stainless steel frets. This is the first time I've seen Jackson do this with a guitar that isn't either a custom shop or super high end model.

As far as the quality goes, I'd imagine it to be about the same as the other concept series I own of about the same price point (RR24MG). I haven't had a single issue with the guitar whatsoever and I've had it for 2 or 3 years now so if something was going to arise it most likely would have by this point. I'm not saying that Korean or Indo or whatever other country you can think of makes guitars as good of quality as the USA ones, but I will ruffle some feathers and say that US QC isn't exactly great now days anyways so I don't see much of a difference.

Brave of them to release a Korean King Kelly extreme.

View attachment 136547

Just glad they had the balls to do it in general. If this were a USA model it would be double the price and everyone would be crying that it's unaffordable after waiting years for it.

I have questions about snap.

1) Do bolt-ons really sound snappier?

2) Can they prove it?

3) Is snappy always good? What does it sound like? Like breaking a twig? Why have I never heard this snappy sound? Can someone record it?

There are enough videos out there from reputable (and unreputable) sources showing that there is a slight, subtle sound difference between neck-thru and bolt-on, so it's not all completely snake oil sales. It is usually described as a little more trebley or "snappy" like you said but it's so small of a difference that it's barely noticeable. You can get these same tones out of neck-thru easily depending on your pickups, amp, cab, etc.

There is much more important factors that shape your tone that the way a neck is placed in a guitar really doesn't make it to even top 10 ways to dial in a sound. At that point I'd rather play what's more comfortable and what I feel is more ergonomic, which to me, is neck-thru. Myself and many others don't seem to have any issue getting a percussive or "snappy" tone with neck thrus

gnoll

Reaction score
There are enough videos out there from reputable (and unreputable) sources showing that there is a slight, subtle sound difference between neck-thru and bolt-on, so it's not all completely snake oil sales. It is usually described as a little more trebley or "snappy" like you said but it's so small of a difference that it's barely noticeable. You can get these same tones out of neck-thru easily depending on your pickups, amp, cab, etc.

There is much more important factors that shape your tone that the way a neck is placed in a guitar really doesn't make it to even top 10 ways to dial in a sound. At that point I'd rather play what's more comfortable and what I feel is more ergonomic, which to me, is neck-thru. Myself and many others don't seem to have any issue getting a percussive or "snappy" tone with neck thrus

Yeah I mean I'm convinced that it does make *some* difference to the tone. I have watched all the youtube comparisons I've been able to find and I've owned and played guitars with all kinds of neck joints.

BUT... every single time someone describes the difference it's that bolt-ons are "snappier" and I have NEVER heard that. No matter how hard I try to hear this "snap" I just can't.

So there could be 2 explanations:

1) I'm deaf or some sort of idiot.

2) This snappy sound of bolt-ons has become an internet truth accepted by everyone but is in fact not based on reality.

Even if 1) is true I'm okay with that. I just want to understand. I'm okay with being wrong but it's driving me insane that I can't hear this snappy sound.

ZLE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Garry Moore used to claim that a chrome painted Floyd Rose gives the guitar noticeably brighter tone than a black painted one. Now, I am the last person that would question Garry's opinion, when related to music, but in that case I just have serious doubt. My point is that even the best guitar players aren't immune to irrational opinions, and if there some truth in the snappines of the bolt on, or the tone woods or the paint of the tremolo, in any case we are talking about difference that can easily be compensated with the slightest turn on any tone knob of your guitar, Amp or pedal.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
in any case we are talking about difference that can easily be compensated with the slightest turn on any tone knob of your guitar, Amp or pedal.

This my take away with these type of things as well. Genius songwriters or super technical virtuosos aren't exactly knowledgeable of every facet of their musical instrument. That and the longer you're in these fields it's easy to gain ear fatigue to the point that it's hard to discern a good guitar tone. It happens to the best of us.

Hell, at one point (or several) Dimebag went into a studio to lay down his guitar tracks and thought to himself "Yep, that tone sounds great". Too bad he continued to think that his entire career.

oracles

Reaction score
Garry Moore used to claim that a chrome painted Floyd Rose gives the guitar noticeably brighter tone than a black painted one.
Eric Johnson spouted some BS about being able to tell what brand of 9v battery was in his pedals because it "changed the tone". Lotta famous dudes with some flat out wrong and/or garbage opinions 🤣

ZLE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Eric Johnson has a lot of those floating in his head. From swearing in his sassafras body, to changing his pots from 500k to 400k(or smtng), to making his high E saddle a hair line thinner. In any case he is great musician, and I kinda attribute this as a harmless side effect of their artistic nature. Atleast they don't cut their ears or something.
There is some other thing here:
I think that a lot of us amateur players kinda clutch at these straws in order to justify our Gas.
"This guitar sounds better than the 10 I got for this and that reason, I need this 100%"

')