Jackson/Charvel/EVH 2024

• Thread starter JimF
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The green one is MIC, as are all the import crackles. I imagine the new one will be also.
Although the new white one up above has "Made In Indonesia" on the back of the headstock, but I can't imagine otherwise. The Chinese guitars are more consistent anyway.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I mean... isn't that the point lol? Have one arm of the business handle a certain demo, one handle another, and another etc etc. Diversify your market.
Fender's been doing this forever simply by changing the pickups and FB radius. :agreed:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right, it's kind of wild to me that one brand has OEMs in 6 different countries. You'd think it'd be cheaper to reduce the number of places you have to import from.

Not when the product is so cheap to make, and then you can shake down your other OEMs because you can move work around if you don't like the terms offered.

FrashyFroo

Reaction score
Not when the product is so cheap to make, and then you can shake down your other OEMs because you can move work around if you don't like the terms offered.
Sure, but we're talking about what are tiny brands in the grand scheme of things, even in guitar terms. Seems like a lot of man hours would have to be spent on managing all that. If they had a way to streamline it, they'd do it. I assume there's a few dozen other things to consider in those decisions other than the price of manufacturing and playing OEMs off against each other.

It also makes me wonder why guitars with certain specs are generally made in specific countries, like crackle finishes on Jacksons only coming out of China and "sandblasted" ash finishes being exclusively Korean. Is that a matter of who can do it cheaper, who can get the materials easier or just because certain factories lack certain capabilities?

Shaking down OEMs certainly is one FMICs favorite things to do though. RIP Chushin Gakki.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sure, but we're talking about what are tiny brands in the grand scheme of things, even in guitar terms. Seems like a lot of man hours would have to be spent on managing all that. If they had a way to streamline it, they'd do it. I assume there's a few dozen other things to consider in those decisions other than the price of manufacturing and playing OEMs off against each other.

It also makes me wonder why guitars with certain specs are generally made in specific countries, like crackle finishes on Jacksons only coming out of China and "sandblasted" ash finishes being exclusively Korean. Is that a matter of who can do it cheaper, who can get the materials easier or just because certain factories lack certain capabilities?

Shaking down OEMs certainly is one FMICs favorite things to do though. RIP Chushin Gakki.

Charvel or EVH and even Jackson might be "small" as far as market share, but they're owned and operated by FMIC, which is the biggest guitar brand in the world.

Fender has a whole corporate structure devoted to this stuff, and it's not unique in the business. It's not even new either, if anything as the larger OEMs gobble up smaller ones you're dealing with fewer individual companies operating in multiple countries, and in some cases multiple facilities in a single region.

As for why something gets built at one and not another, it's a combination of all the stuff we've mentioned. Price, production availability, marketing, tooling, etc.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I mean... isn't that the point lol? Have one arm of the business handle a certain demo, one handle another, and another etc etc. Diversify your market.

I phrased that wrong lol.
What I mean is the AR and social media departments are on the same page, but the guitar design & manufacturing department are singing from a totally different hymn sheet. With spandex and hairspray.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hot-rodded Strats are timeless and mostly genera-less. Folks have been into them for over half a century and have made almost every type of music on them.

FMIC knows these print money, which is why we get so many new colors and stuff every six months.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm finding it difficult waiting for the Vogg signature. I've emailed FMIC customer service twice and they won't spill the beans!
First email was a casual "Hey, when did you say that Vogg Fury was coming out again?" trying to trick them, and the next one was "Is that it for new models?" but no dice!

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
coming in may 2024, Wolfie's sig

Kinda looks like the LTD X-Tone.

ZERO1

Reaction score
Anyone having issues getting a new jackson in? I ordered the jeff loomis ht model back in november and I have yet to receive it. Just wondering what the hold up is

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
For those in the game, do manufacturers generally release on whatever day they feel like, or would they structure it along quarters? Basically I seem to think the Virtuoso Series being launched September-ish, so could that mean that when March arrives we could get a couple of new instruments?

')