Jackson/Charvel/EVH 2024

• Thread starter JimF
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Local store had both the black and blue USA Soloists and they both sold in a few months , and it’s a 3250$+ guitar CAD and the economy is rough right now . I think the Virtuoso is 2800 or 2900 CAD , so actually a fair bit cheaper , especially with our taxes here . They are selling well for sure .

Glad to see more hardtails , this is more appealing with the caramelized neck and vibe overall compared to the USA SL3 hardtail model that just came out . That being said , I wish there was a high end HSS , even a HSH model that was a hardtail Virtuoso .

If only the orange model that’s only with a Floyd mentioned above was available as a hardtail ..

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would do terrible things for a multiscale Charvel bass. I doubt it would ever happen, but it would be awesome.
iiis-new-charvel-bass-v0-fj8tbkwu4o2c1.jpg

I just want that Sleep Token bass to come out. 35" 4 string is my jam.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
But would a 15 year old USA Select with some wear be a better workhorse?...
Thats where my brain currently is.
Jackson has to compete with their own models on the used market now, haha. At least over here, you'd be hard pressed to find a 15 year old SL1, SL2H, or DK1 for the same price or less than the American series.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Ha! Apologies that was more myself thinking out loud! I've been looking at SL2s and there's a players condition one for under $2000 on reverb right now.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Ha! Apologies that was more myself thinking out loud! I've been looking at SL2s and there's a players condition one for under $2000 on reverb right now.
They do pop up for reasonable prices on occasion. Especially if you're willing to do some refurbishing yourself!

neurosis

Reaction score
Got my Virtuoso in today and Holy. Lord. I am absolutely in love with this thing. Next is incredible and the build is fantastic. Review and pics to come.
I love mine too but how that fat fretboard transitions into the neck shape was a little weird for me at first. I don't feel it so much going down the board but holding a position around the 3rd frets makes it obvious, especially if I get lazy and hang my thumb over it. Otherwise it's a light guitar, with a lot of tonal options (great split tones!). What I did notice the other day looking at it and my MJ Dinky side to side with an old DK2M is that the headstocks seem to be a little different. Maybe it's just a visual impression due to the missing trussed cover but they look a little more tilted and pointy. Almost more sleek. The reverse headstock on my MJ is one of my favorite headstocks ever.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I love mine too but how that fat fretboard transitions into the neck shape was a little weird for me at first. I don't feel it so much going down the board but holding a position around the 3rd frets makes it obvious, especially if I get lazy and hang my thumb over it. Otherwise it's a light guitar, with a lot of tonal options (great split tones!). What I did notice the other day looking at it and my MJ Dinky side to side with an old DK2M is that the headstocks seem to be a little different. Maybe it's just a visual impression due to the missing trussed cover but they look a little more tilted and pointy. Almost more sleek. The reverse headstock on my MJ is one of my favorite headstocks ever.
Jackson has been making subtle tweaks to headstock shape since forever.

The old MIJ pro series actually used an older headstock, too. Older than the contemporary USA Selects. You can tell by the fact that your DK2M's headstock has sides that are not perpendicular to the top surface. If that makes sense.

As they moved to increased CNC processes in the custom shop and for the American Series, templates were digitized and likely tweaked somewhat. There are subtle differences between my SL2H/SL1 (2006 and 2005), my custom select SL2 (2014, more CNC), and any of my MIJ pro/X series (DK2, DXMG, DX10D parts caster).

Let's not even talk about 7 string headstock variations. That's even crazier.

')