Jackson/Charvel/EVH 2024

• Thread starter JimF
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1000011059__14988.1724715484.jpg

If only I had $5k burning a hole in my pocket...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Why do so many custom shop guitars have block heels? I see so many sick USA guitars on Reverb and its like block heel, block heel, block heel, huge block heel, angled block heel, blockus maximus heel.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Why do so many custom shop guitars have block heels? I see so many sick USA guitars on Reverb and its like block heel, block heel, block heel, huge block heel, angled block heel, blockus maximus heel.
When it comes to Jackson at least, they only started doing sculpted heels on bolt-ons a little while back. Most people prefer neck thru stuff from them anyway so there probably wasn't much demand to change the heel.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
because most people don't really care about it

That blows my mind but I respect it. For me, if there's a block heel I lose interest completely. In fact, the only reason I don't exclusively assemble my own guitars is that I don't like the block heel and it can be hard to get good quality finished bodies without them for a reasonable price that I've seen.

Once the AANJ (/equivalent) dropped, it was game over for me. I spend 50% of my time in the upper register so I like a comfortable grip up there.

Like I said though, I respect that other players don't care. Wish I could say the same. Anything with a block heel to me is basically ancient history at this point.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
Same boat, @nightsprinter. Which is funny because I have some block heels. The ergonomics of AANs is undeniable, but it’s great that there are people who don’t give a shit.
I just don’t see how that can be when I play my non-block heels, and while it makes me jealous, it does cripple my gear-whoring, lol.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it depends on what you started on. In the 80's and 90's pretty much everything worth playing that wasn't unobtainium was a block heel, so you sort of just went with it and adapted your technique and now it's just not a big deal.

I don't really have an issue on any neck joint, within reason. I'm not even that good on guitar. :lol:

When you think about it, the three or four most ubiquitous guitar designs, Strats, Teles, LPs, etc. are all pretty much "block heel" so it seems the majority don't seem to mind too much. Which is why not everything has more sculpted heels.

Honestly, I think it's cool they kept the old school call backs block heel. It completes the vibe.

')