Jackson/Charvel/EVH 2024

• Thread starter JimF
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oracles

Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results
Reaction score
I was talking to a dealer this summer and he said if you have the money and the time they'll build whatever.
That flat out said no to the KE7 requests I submitted, I was told masterbuilt spec requests have a very, very slim chance of getting through.

I'd love to be wrong, of course.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was talking to a dealer this summer and he said if you have the money and the time they'll build whatever.

There's a 50/50 chance the dealer was full of shit unless they have a few years worth of top CS dealer plaques and have an "in" on a couple vacant/dormant Masterbuilt slots.

That was always the mantra, until you put a build sheet in for approval and it either gets bounced right away or they try to massage the specs down to something they're actually willing to do.

I think they've gotten more flexible as they've worked through the backlog, and the rigidity of the past few years has definitely stifled not just orders but the perception of the shop and it's capabilities.

I'd love to be wrong and for it to be actually open season on stuff again, but I have a feeling the "money" is five figures and the "time" is the better part of a decade unless you have a million or so YouTube subs.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
I’m always salty when I see fancy custom Jackson’s and know that I’m not even allowed to order one no matter how much money I’d offer. Meanwhile I can go get a PRS private stock but I really find them to be very gaudy and not my thing. I want to be able to take a juggernaut 7 string and customize the shit out of it to my liking.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what kinds of things were they trying to massage away?

Steering towards specs more aligned with the existing Select menu, stuff like listed colors, pickups, and general specs, vs. the off the menu stuff that usually falls under a Masterbuilt for some reason now.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Late to the party, but to sum the Jackson block heel debate up:

- Jackson fanbase is "old". Older people is the one with money to spend. Older Jacksons were block heel so they're considered classics and purists don't want to mess up classics. So there is no demand (since the soloist exists for those they want better access). Also, the "everything has to be bolt-on" is a modern trend (and Jackson is slow af for trends).

- USA Jacksons are expensive. Most people that buy expensive guitars are hobbyists, not professionals (pros gravitate towards practical/necessary stuff). And hobbyists are usually not great players so don't need ultra fret access to play that Am blues pentatonic. I see this on the Jackson USA FB group everyday. The bigger the collection of high end guitars, the worse the player.

- Joe Williams ascending the ranks of the USA Custom Shop is probably the best that has happened to Jackson CS. Thanks to him we saw a lot more of 7-string Custom Shops, AANJ bolt joints, multiscale guitars, etc. And purists are getting more and more used to seeing them. Pat Campolattano replacing Mike Shannon recently is adding fresh air as well.

That blows my mind but I respect it. For me, if there's a block heel I lose interest completely. In fact, the only reason I don't exclusively assemble my own guitars is that I don't like the block heel and it can be hard to get good quality finished bodies without them for a reasonable price that I've seen.

Once the AANJ (/equivalent) dropped, it was game over for me. I spend 50% of my time in the upper register so I like a comfortable grip up there.

Like I said though, I respect that other players don't care. Wish I could say the same. Anything with a block heel to me is basically ancient history at this point.
A friend of mine is exactly like you. The moment he sees a block joint, the guitar is discarded. And he has a ton of high end stuff. He took back guitar again after a very long hiatus and he just doesn't see the point of bad ergonomics when better options exist. Can't fault his logic (even though sometimes extreme). I don't like block heels either but can make sacrifices for the right guitar :agreed:.

However, I see more builds showing up at dealers with options that are definitely not on the form, and not all of these are from the dealer events.
Those not on dealer events are usually NAMM display models. And pretty much the only way I've found to get a CS7 Jackson nowadays (I have two from 2015 and 2016. Shit, time flies!).

Last edited:

ThomasUV777

Reaction score
Normies can't get cool guitars made, but they'll waste time on boring shit like this for endorsees 🤣

That's more an issue with the artist than the CS.

Jackson CS: Ok Jim, you name it, you got it! We'll make you anything!
Jim Root: Anything? Even a 7A Flame maple top, SS frets, gold floyd with Mammoth-tooth sustain block, Death Warrior?
Jackson CS: ANY-THING.
Jim Root: Ok gimme a white superstrat fu.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I'd love it if they would just make a plain old SL1 in a 7. With the proper size headstock not the hockey stick. And proportioned shark inlays that aren't just the 6 string inlays looking stupid in the middle of a 7 string fretboard.
The Jeff Loomis SL7 has appropriately sized sharkfins and a normal inline headstock that's not oversized. It's basically an SL2H-7 but it's 26.5" scale.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Those not on dealer events are usually NAMM display models. And pretty much the only way I've found to get a CS7 Jackson nowadays (I have two from 2015 and 2016. Shit, time flies!).

I thought Jackson, and all of FMIC, no longer participates in NAMM. But yeah, if you want a CS7 from them dealer events, special orders a dealer manages to push through, and used are pretty much the options.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
The reality is that a handful of people in a message board who might order a couple guitars don't matter. They have a year + backlog of stuff that's relatively easy to build. What motivation is there to open up the options to give them harder work that takes more time, and therefore increases the backlog when it's finally coming down?

I have owned 2 CS guitars from them, and several older USA Selects. They're great, and I'm happy I got them when I did because I can't justify the price now and I already have (most of) what I want.

I would think there will eventually be a Concept, MJ, or American Series Soloist 7. Hopefully with a 25.5" scale, Floyd, and a finish that's not black. Then my Jackson itch will be sufficiently scratched.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Historically, yes. Technically, yes. However, they can and do say "No" fairly often.

But hey, if something has changed I'll do my yearly ritual of asking a dealer to let me order an SL2H-7. If they let me I would probably cry after seeing the price, haha
The problem becomes that you have to pay the Masterbuilt prices. I priced getting my 7 string Soloist done as a master build, and it came out to about $8K. I'd like the same guitar with a Floyd, but I don't want it that much. :lol:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's also very ugly. Can't leave that spec out
I don't think it's ugly, and they're very well-built, but they are not a USA SL2H-7. That neck never would have come from the Jackson CS - it feels like a C-shaped Wizard. It must be what Loomis likes, I guess, but I wasn't impressed for the price point. I like the Korean made Jacksons and Charvels in general, too.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd love it if they would just make a plain old SL1 in a 7. With the proper size headstock not the hockey stick. And proportioned shark inlays that aren't just the 6 string inlays looking stupid in the middle of a 7 string fretboard.
They did a run of white ones exactly like in 2010-ish. They took forever to sell, as do most things 7 string in the Jackson camp.

If they brought back the DK7M at a Mexi Charvel price but without the 3 bolt neck (the major complaint with them) they would probably sell, since every used one goes for $800 almost instantly.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
They did a run of white ones exactly like in 2010-ish. They took forever to sell, as do most things 7 string in the Jackson camp.

If they brought back the DK7M at a Mexi Charvel price but without the 3 bolt neck (the major complaint with them) they would probably sell, since every used one goes for $800 almost instantly.
Wasn't there also a run of black ones organized by Matt's Music in the 2010s? I remember them posting here looking for people to buy-in, and I think one from that run came up used a while back.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think it's ugly, and they're very well-built, but they are not a USA SL2H-7. That neck never would have come from the Jackson CS - it feels like a C-shaped Wizard. It must be what Loomis likes, I guess, but I wasn't impressed for the price point. I like the Korean made Jacksons and Charvels in general, too.

I hate that sandblasted look, absolutely kills it for me, and yeah, the neck and binding, and scale make it feel not at all like any Jackson I'd own.

But yeah, they're not bad players and used the prices aren't bad for something ready to go out of the box.

It's just a black soloist with a sandblasted top and binding. I guess the feel and look of the top isn't for everyone, but I like mine :shrug:

I'm just being snarky and difficult. Glad you're into yours, but it just doesn't scratch the Jackson itch for me.

I'm an idiot for selling my SLAT3-7 and an even bigger idiot for skipping out on Mesh's SL2H-7 run. I think folks want more for the SLAT now then the SL2s were back then. :lol:

')