Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
gottdamn I want that
I'm pretty sure it sold within 10 minutes of hitting their members-only Facebook group. Such is the J/C USA/CS buying experience these days.

Dealers aren't really ordering things for "the shop" anymore because they all have like 40 custom shop orders from customers in the queue. The exceptions being The Music Zoo's SL2H-Vs and a handful of USA Select models in only black or white.

For all the complaints about their build times people keep ordering them, even after the price increases.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasUV777

Reaction score

josh1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Guys, I’m thinking about getting an X series Warrior and switch out the pickups for EMGs. Is $749 worth it? The neck thru looks really good.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Guys, I’m thinking about getting an X series Warrior and switch out the pickups for EMGs. Is $749 worth it? The neck thru looks really good.
I'm still kind of afraid of fretwork on Indonesian/Chinese guitars. I would buy through Sweetwater and pay for the Plek service. But many of them are totally fine.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
There’s like 3-4 different soloist arch top shapes can a Jackson knower break it down for me? Which carve is the one the recent blue sparkle SLAT wildcard??

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
There’s like 3-4 different soloist arch top shapes can a Jackson knower break it down for me? Which carve is the one the recent blue sparkle SLAT wildcard??
I know of 4 offhand, but there's lots of slight variation because many of the archtops you see from the custom shop are handmade.

There's the archtops from the 80s and early 90s, and these are custom shop-only:
Jackson-soloist.5_720x.jpg

There's the SLAT carve, like an MIJ SLAT3-6/3-7:
bamtth3rbtsbqnnizgqs.jpg

and then there's the "extreme" archtop like the wildcard and the custom shop models that it's based on: (these are both CS builds, but the wildcard is based on these)
jyyhmltbypgoeukiaxbi__54919.1570724979.jpg

CS-Soloist-Arch-Top-Green-Purple-Flip-Flop.jpg

There's also the Phil Collen archtop with the stubby lower horn:
enq6tiawk66hhu5tbzgl.jpg

There are probably more.

Last edited:

xzacx

Reaction score
then there's the "extreme" archtop like the wildcard and the custom shop model that it's based on.
I usually refer to this as "the one that sucks with the flat top." I don't actually think it sucks necessarily, just my least favorite in comparison to the others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
You're missing out my favourite. The (to me) "true" Jackson archtop, where everything is arched, including the horns. The body feels pretty much like a Les Paul as the tops are massively thick:

o48pirg4wjnwzqhdbrlo.jpg

36243830-400334947140438-5356724430372339712-o.jpg

And we're not done yet...

Broderick sig:

jackson_broderick7-7321-tred91.jpg

Bulb sig (more of a radioused top like the Ibanez S series)

jackson_005_17.jpg

And last but not least, the B7 which is pretty nice too:

jasckson-usa-b7dx-satinblack-u25239-bf__wwg.jpg

Last edited:

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know of 4 offhand, but there's lots of slight variation because many of the archtops you see from the custom shop are handmade.

There's the archtops from the 80s and early 90s, and these are custom shop-only:
Jackson-soloist.5_720x.jpg

There's the SLAT carve, like an MIJ SLAT3-6/3-7:
bamtth3rbtsbqnnizgqs.jpg

and then there's the "extreme" archtop like the wildcard and the custom shop models that it's based on: (these are both CS builds, but the wildcard is based on these)
jyyhmltbypgoeukiaxbi__54919.1570724979.jpg

CS-Soloist-Arch-Top-Green-Purple-Flip-Flop.jpg

There's also the Phil Collen archtop with the stubby lower horn:
enq6tiawk66hhu5tbzgl.jpg

There are probably more.

I really like that extreme archtop, if I get another guitar it'll be that or the MJ DKR. Between the two I'm not totally sure which to get though since it's the same pickup set. I played the MJ and loved the thing and there's not much of a price difference but the SL27 is cool as fuck and I'm a sucker for HS.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I really like that extreme archtop, if I get another guitar it'll be that or the MJ DKR. Between the two I'm not totally sure which to get though since it's the same pickup set. I played the MJ and loved the thing and there's not much of a price difference but the SL27 is cool as fuck and I'm a sucker for HS.
I really like the idea of the wildcards and concept series. Do somewhat small runs, changing every year, with options that normally require masterbuilt customs. Make them at WMI which has a great reputation.

Anecdotally, I've heard dealers were unhappy with the first batches of MJ series stuff for the fretwork. I've only played nice ones in stores though. Also anecdotally, Fujigen is not doing very good fretwork right now regardless of whether it's Jackson/Charvels, Fender, or even Ibanez. But this is anecdotal and from sources that are... let's just say not impartial.

I do kind of wonder what the game plan is. The MJ series soloists are more expensive than the American Series SL3. J/C product differentiation is all over the place.

Last edited:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
You're missing out my favourite. The (to me) "true" Jackson archtop, where everything is arched, including the horns. The body feels pretty much like a Les Paul as the tops are massively thick:

o48pirg4wjnwzqhdbrlo.jpg

36243830-400334947140438-5356724430372339712-o.jpg

And we're not done yet...

Broderick sig:

jackson_broderick7-7321-tred91.jpg

Bulb sig (more of a radioused top like the Ibanez S series)

jackson_005_17.jpg

And last but not least, the B7 which is pretty nice too:

jasckson-usa-b7dx-satinblack-u25239-bf__wwg.jpg
lol, how did I forget that many. There are probably more, too.

I'd be way more into the Juggs and the Broderick if they had J/C's normal compound radius.

What even is Chris Broderick doing these days? Whatever it is, we need a project with him and Jeff Loomis a la late Nevermore era. Can't FMIC front them some of their zilly dollars for it? Only kind of kidding here.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
lol, how did I forget that many. There are probably more, too.

I'd be way more into the Juggs and the Broderick if they had J/C's normal compound radius.

What even is Chris Broderick doing these days? Whatever it is, we need a project with him and Jeff Loomis a la late Nevermore era. Can't FMIC front them some of their zilly dollars for it? Only kind of kidding here.
Isn't Broderick playing with In flames now?

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I really like the idea of the wildcards and concept series. Do somewhat small runs, changing every year, with options that normally require masterbuilt customs. Make them at WMI which has a great reputation.

Anecdotally, I've heard dealers were unhappy with the first batches of MJ series stuff for the fretwork. I've only played nice ones in stores though. Also anecdotally, Fujigen is not doing very good fretwork right now regardless of whether it's Jackson/Charvels, Fender, or even Ibanez. But this is anecdotal and from sources that are... let's just say not impartial.

I do kind of wonder what the game plan is. The MJ series soloists are more expensive than the American Series SL3. J/C product differentiation is all over the place.

Really? The one I played had me ready to trade in my gigging guitar AND my ormsby. I don't know if the shop gave it a setup or what but it was perfect and even with the questionable trade-in offer I spent 30 minutes deciding even though the MJ didn't have half the features (or mods) the guitars I was offering had.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

Same. I know they're artist guitars with artist specs, but I think someone at Jackson should "curate" this stuff a bit. You know, like telling the artist that a 12lb guitar is not a good idea (I'm looking at you, Broderick).

We don’t talk about current in flames

Their latest album is actually pretty good and you're missing out!

Last edited:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Really? The one I played had me ready to trade in my gigging guitar AND my ormsby. I don't know if the shop gave it a setup or what but it was perfect and even with the questionable trade-in offer I spent 30 minutes deciding even though the MJ didn't have half the features (or mods) the guitars I was offering had.
I take things like this with a grain of salt because unless you're moving lots of volume and bother to track this stuff (are Sweetwater) everything is based on a really small sample size. The shop in particular I'm referencing has a great reputation, but I don't always agree with their attitude or opinions.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I take things like this with a grain of salt because unless you're moving lots of volume and bother to track this stuff (are Sweetwater) everything is based on a really small sample size. The shop in particular I'm referencing has a great reputation, but I don't always agree with their attitude or opinions.

Fair enough, if I'm shelling out that much though just to get a dud I'd be pretty annoyed since I think they're objectively boring guitars. My biggest draw was just how damn good it played and sounded. Then again, I'm a shill for the most inconsistent company in the industry so

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Fair enough, if I'm shelling out that much though just to get a dud I'd be pretty annoyed since I think they're objectively boring guitars. My biggest draw was just how damn good it played and sounded. Then again, I'm a shill for the most inconsistent company in the industry so
If it's good then it's good. Internet noise about inconsistency is just that. Noise. I'm more inclined these days to buy and evaluate myself. I've seen questionable build quality, and fantastic build quality, from nearly every brand at any point along the price scale from cheap to expensive.

In terms of consistency amongst the major brands, I have not experienced J/C being any more inconsistent than any other company in the industry that contracts with factories for mass production. Regardless of the complaining around here and certain YouTubers. In terms of the imports, they're as good as anything else that given factory makes for any of the brands they build. At least that's my experience.

Last edited:
')