Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score

This is cool, but WTF is with the rosewood on these builds? Ebony would look way better.

I like when they get the really big crackle chunks like that. Nothing worse than a tiny crackle that just looks like textured paint.

Yeah when I see these I automatically think it's an X series because of the fretboards.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I like when they get the really big crackle chunks like that. Nothing worse than a tiny crackle that just looks like textured paint.

Yeah when I see these I automatically think it's an X series because of the fretboards.
Pasquale is the real deal by all accounts as a luthier, good enough for FMIC to poach him. I'm sure his stuff plays great, but the rosewood is an odd choice.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
My pro series SL7 is (mostly) complete now.

Frets leveled, crowned, and polished. Didn't need much, but it was used and the Indonesian models leave something to be desired there anyway. Hardware replaced with gold, including a Gotoh Floyd. New pickups, DActivator and Liquifire.

The first fret height is a bit off still on the bass side. The locking nut shelf should probably be sanded down a bit. I told the shop to do that, but it seems to have been lost in the shuffle. They also didn't charge me for it, so I guess it's kind of whatever. I can take some sandpaper to it on my next string change.

Plays pretty great, and looks fantastic! If you've got a lot of black guitars might as well change up the hardware and pickups to avoid things getting boring.

Last edited:

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

Frets leveled, crowned, and polished. Didn't need much, but it was used and the Indonesian models leave something to be desired there anyway. Hardware replaced with gold, including a Gotoh Floyd. New pickups, DActivator and Liquifire.

The first fret height is a bit off still on the bass side. The locking nut shelf should probably be sanded down a bit. I told the shop to do that, but it seems to have been lost in the shuffle. They also didn't charge me for it, so I guess it's kind of whatever. I can take some sandpaper to it on my next string change.

Plays pretty great, and looks fantastic! If you've got a lot of black guitars might as well change up the hardware and pickups to avoid things getting boring.

Oh wow! I thought it was a 7 string DKMG at first.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score

How do you like the dactivator/liquifire combo? I’ve been interested in that exact combo (albeit the 6 string version) for a bit now

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
How do you like the dactivator/liquifire combo? I’ve been interested in that exact combo (albeit the 6 string version) for a bit now
I like it. The Duncan Distortion set was in there previously. These have a bit less bass, and are tighter on the low end. The Liquifire is a smoother neck pickup than the Distortion Neck.

grrr_me_scary

Reaction score

This is cool, but WTF is with the rosewood on these builds? Ebony would look way better.

I have been looking around for a new Jackson guitar and the must-have for me has been an ebony fretboard.

However, I have been noticing that the "ebony" fretboards that Jackson provides on their guitars (even the really high-end ones) look like Jackson is dying the actual fretboards.

I'll zoom into the fretboard and it will look like the fretboard had streaks and the solid areas look like the dye has been placed on it.

It seems to me that each of the ebony fretboards that appears on the newer guitars are dyed now to give it that darker/solid look on their guitars (and they kind of have a "foggy/smudged" look to them now as well).

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I have been looking around for a new Jackson guitar and the must-have for me has been an ebony fretboard.

However, I have been noticing that the "ebony" fretboards that Jackson provides on their guitars (even the really high-end ones) look like Jackson is dying the actual fretboards.

I'll zoom into the fretboard and it will look like the fretboard had streaks and the solid areas look like the dye has been placed on it.

It seems to me that each of the ebony fretboards that appears on the newer guitars are dyed now to give it that darker/solid look on their guitars (and they kind of have a "foggy/smudged" look to them now as well).
You are describing undyed ebony. Dyed ebony is pitch black evenly across the whole board

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score

Quoting my own post like a boomer, but here's some info that's probably not floating around out there yet since the 7 string Gotoh Floyds are relatively rare in the wild still.

The string spacing on them is slightly wider than an original/1000 series Floyd. It's minor, but adding them all up gives a B-E string width of ~3-4 mm wider than an original Floyd. Depending on the width of your fretboard the Gotoh may put your strings too close to the edge. Also, it appears that the bridge is now slightly off-center to the treble side in general, which was not the case with the stock bridge. There may be an inconsistency with the stud placement that I did not notice with the 1000 series due to the slightly narrower string spacing.

I'm not happy with the strings being so close to the edge so I'm replacing with a gold 1000 series Floyd I found on reverb.

Like the 6 stringer variant, it's a very well-made bridge. But also like the 6er, it may or may not be a direct retrofit depending on your specific situation.

Last edited:

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
This also means that I have a gold Gotoh Floyd 7 I can part with. I'm case any of you want to try this mod yourself. You may have better luck.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Is there a benefit to 22 frets over 24 on a single hum guitar? There's no neck pickup to move. That seems like a stranger design choice than the rosewood.
I think here the issue is that having 24 frets would either have the last two frets rather unreachable (and awkward looking) or you'd have to shift the nut and bridge and inch or so to the left, which will change the balance and general feel of the guitar (which maybe who ever ordered it did not want).

')