Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
It's a custom shop. I've heard similar stuff about having a 22 fret Soloist made, but that's what I wanted, and I have zero regrets.
What would be awesome is to get them to build it like a 24 fret but just not put the last two frets on.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I suppose that's fair. One of their artists did request it.

Though ESP builds those ridiculous exhibition things, they still do take custom orders from the public. Not Jackson.
They take custom shop orders from the general public, just only (what used to be called) custom select. Yes, I know, semi-custom seems to get people here all riled up as "not a real custom shop."

If anyone could order crazy stuff like their masterbuilts are you prepared to wait even longer? Because you know it would lengthen their crazy backlog.

Hell, there are people in the Jackson USA Facebook group that buy 2-3 custom selects per year as it is.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
They take custom shop orders from the general public, just only (what used to be called) custom select. Yes, I know, semi-custom seems to get people here all riled up as "not a real custom shop."

If anyone could order crazy stuff like their masterbuilts are you prepared to wait even longer? Because you know it would lengthen their crazy backlog.

Hell, there are people in the Jackson USA Facebook group that buy 2-3 custom selects per year as it is.
What is custom select? Would reversing the headstock be doable or is that only for full customs? I know they had a USA line where the only options were a few custom finishes.

mastapimp

Reaction score

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
But no 7- or 8- strings. I tend to just play six string guitars these days, but I'm still very salty because I spent about two years begging several Jackson/Charvel dealers to place an order for just a straight up 6-string San Dimas, Soloist, Dinky, whatever they could push through. The answer was always no. Wait time was never an issue. They just do not accept the orders.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
But no 7- or 8- strings. I tend to just play six string guitars these days, but I'm still very salty because I spent about two years begging several Jackson/Charvel dealers to place an order for just a straight up 6-string San Dimas, Soloist, Dinky, whatever they could push through. The answer was always no. Wait time was never an issue. They just do not accept the orders.
I'm not sure what the issue is then, because you 100% can order a 6 from the options list shared above by @mastapimp

I've gotten quotes in the past few years but I have always backed out because of the ETA being "officially" 18 months, and "unofficially" being 3-4 years.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the issue is then, because you 100% can order a 6 from the options list shared above by @mastapimp

I've gotten quotes in the past few years but I have always backed out because of the ETA being "officially" 18 months, and "unofficially" being 3-4 years.
Sorry. Typo. I tried for years to order a 7-string. But these days: yeah, I'd order a 6-string and it presumably wouldn't be any issue. Except that I'm bitter.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Sorry. Typo. I tried for years to order a 7-string. But these days: yeah, I'd order a 6-string and it presumably wouldn't be any issue. Except that I'm bitter.
Ah.

I'm just too poor now, haha. Or rather, I can't justify it. Glad I got one when I did. In 2013 I paid ~ $3k and it only took 9 months. 10 years ago now... I'm old.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Ah.

I'm just too poor now, haha. Or rather, I can't justify it. Glad I got one when I did. In 2013 I paid ~ $3k and it only took 9 months. 10 years ago now... I'm old.
And I backed out of an RR1 for 1900 in 2003 because I didn't want to wait for them to build it lol. I thought they were all assembly line made like a Fender or Gibson standard USA guitar. I had no idea that they were all basically custom shop orders like the Esp original series (which I also didn't understand at the time).

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Possible longshot, but does anyone here have a white SLS3 or a not black SLSMG they're willing to part with? I'm looking for a quality hardtail 6-string and figured I should just stick with Jackson since I like both my older MIJ models more than my PRS S2. Which is a little disappointing :lol:

mastapimp

Reaction score
Oooh you can do Nitro relic or NOS now? Nice nice. I hope it is the same guys doing the Fender relics.
A couple years back the Music Zoo had several nitro reliced soloists from the custom shop. I think it's more popular with Charvels...haven't really seen many Jacksons with the treatment.

ScatteredDimension

Sixstring Regular
Reaction score
Dyeing a rosewood fretboard can do wonders. Yes there is a slight difference in lighting between the pics but still.
This is my latest, '99 DK2 in trans amber. Had a tad too brown/pale rosewood... Bridge pup also swapped for a D activator.

20230802_120544.jpg

20230814_142113.jpg

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Dyeing a rosewood fretboard can do wonders. Yes there is a slight difference in lighting between the pics but still.
This is my latest, '99 DK2 in trans amber. Had a tad too brown/pale rosewood... Bridge pup also swapped for a D activator.

View attachment 129485
View attachment 129486

That's awesome. I have two old Charvels that need this done, and despite many youtube vids, still not sure what to do. For each guy saying do this, there's some other guy saying it works terribly, or it makes the wood brittle and basically falls out during refrets. What'd you use?

')