Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
What's going on with those inlays? It looks terrible. Maybe they should use dots so it's not as obvious how bad the material looks.
It's the same fake MOP stuff that's been used on every guitar since forever.

Real MOP would certainly look better, but they're not going to put it on anything that's not USA-made.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Well as long as they keep Pablo away from anything I order then I'm happy.

I have a Santana built B7 that is just fantastic. It's a bit sad how quick we can be to judge one person's career for a single mistake (even dead, lol). :shrug:

Even though he was known for his horrid designs, he was also responsible for some of the coolest Jacksons I've ever seen. Such as this one:

dc8c3120-33b6-41c8-981b-ade892e08ad8.jpg

Last edited:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
The way the pinstripes don't converge in the V close to the bridge really annoys me. I'm not sure if that's new or I just never noticed it before. It's something a lot of the chinese copies of ESP Vs do.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The way the pinstripes don't converge in the V close to the bridge really annoys me. I'm not sure if that's new or I just never noticed it before. It's something a lot of the chinese copies of ESP Vs do.

There are a few variations on the pinstripes, but none of the Jackson ones come to a sharp V really.

I think you're thinking of the ESP version of the lines, which is usually a different pattern that ends in points by the bridge.

narad

Reaction score
There are a few variations on the pinstripes, but none of the Jackson ones come to a sharp V really.

I think you're thinking of the ESP version of the lines, which is usually a different pattern that ends in points by the bridge.

I get it now -- if it starts up on the body, the Jackson lines don't come together. But if it starts on the beveled edge, then it really has no other choice, which I guess is what I think of when I think of Alexi with Jackson. Definitely prefer this:

i-img1200x1200-1629514148tpko8w429967.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get it now -- if it starts up on the body, the Jackson lines don't come together. But if it starts on the beveled edge, then it really has no other choice, which I guess is what I think of when I think of Alexi with Jackson. Definitely prefer this:

i-img1200x1200-1629514148tpko8w429967.jpg

I think the "single stripe" variation works best on black guitars like that, but on lighter colors, especially white, I'm all for the more old school full pattern, wonky layout be damned.

IMG_3221.jpeg

narad

Reaction score
I think the "single stripe" variation works best on black guitars like that, but on lighter colors, especially white, I'm all for the more old school full pattern, wonky layout be damned.

View attachment 134561

It's a different thing altogether when you have those two lines running through the pickups. Then it's just classic Randy

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I'd much rather have a white headstock with white binding (and have the ebony board bound in white) than a white headstock with black binding (and the ebony board bound in black).

I just cannot stand ebony board bound in black. But seems to be just me since that seems like a growing trend.

Dahlius

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Apparently Jackson released a new Rhoads MIJ.

I have vibes from the old Alexi Jacksons. I absolutely love this guitar. Not cheap though.

View attachment 134540
Really should have gone the extra step and color-matched the logo with the pinstripe color. Inlays also look like shit for something that's nearing the $3k mark.

Can anyone enlighten me why Jackson refuse to bring back the single pickup RR24?

jackson-randy-rhoads-rr24-68388.jpg

gnoll

Reaction score
Inlays also look like shit for something that's nearing the $3k mark.

Right??

It really seems ridiculous for such an expensive guitar to have such cheap looking inlays.

If they're hellbent on using pearloid they could at least use some that looks better than that.

I would never ever ever buy a guitar that expensive with inlays like that. With inlays as big as sharkfins it really makes a difference if the material doesn't look good.

ThomasUV777

Reaction score
Everyone complaining about the inlays, meanwhile I'm fuming over the non-mop logo :mad:

ZLE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Santana built B7 that is just fantastic. It's a bit sad how quick we can be to judge one person's career for a single mistake (even dead, lol). :shrug:

Even though he was known for his horrid designs, he was also responsible for some of the coolest Jacksons I've ever seen. Such as this one:

dc8c3120-33b6-41c8-981b-ade892e08ad8.jpg
This is sick, can you post a link for that guitar I wanna see more pics.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
This is sick, can you post a link for that guitar I wanna see more pics.

Sure. here you go:

I mean, holy shit. This is probably the coolest neck ever:
IMG_3770__20774.1394936300.1280.1280.jpg

I know I'll only be the only guy defending Pablo when the 23fret kelly jokes pop up, but he was truly an innovator. And as such, he had pretty terrible ideas as well as fantastic ones. This was also one of the big reasons why he was dumped. His crazy ideas were very expensive resource-wise, as plenty of wood was wasted when doing all those wonky designs. He was the only guy at the Jackson CS pushing 7 and 8-string guitars (AFAIK the B7 shape was one of his original designs as well).

CMC has some other dope examples of Pablo's "more traditional" work, which of course usually had uncommon features:

Last edited:

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
My issue with Pablo was the overly tacky designs, cutouts, awful colour choices etc, not so much the 23 fret Kelly - That's a mistake, and shit happens. The former is bad taste :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think Pablo was something of a victim of Fender's change in management of the JCS. From being very limiting and structured to basically being able to do whatever they wanted at a time when they had a relatively low amount of orders.

When the guardrails came off we started getting whacky builds, and since just about everything was selling at NAMM it was allowed to continue until a series of fairly public blunders and the changing of perceptions of the shop and some builders.

Guys like Mike Shannon just wanted to make old school, neo-vintage stuff, but Pablo leaned into the more extreme to differentiate.

By all accounts he was a really good dude and very good builder, he was merely the supervising builder for that famous 23-fretter and it basically cost him his reputation. I met him at least once at NAMM, I don't remember anything else, quiet unassuming guy.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Sure. here you go:

I mean, holy shit. This is probably the coolest neck ever:
IMG_3770__20774.1394936300.1280.1280.jpg

I know I'll only be the only guy defending Pablo when the 23fret kelly jokes pop up, but he was truly an innovator. And as such, he had pretty terrible ideas as well as fantastic ones. This was also one of the big reasons why he was dumped. His crazy ideas were very expensive resource-wise, as plenty of wood was wasted when doing all those wonky designs. He was the only guy at the Jackson CS pushing 7 and 8-string guitars (AFAIK the B7 shape was one of his original designs as well).

CMC has some other dope examples of Pablo's "more traditional" work, which of course usually had uncommon features:

Wtf is that site? Talk about the most aggravating experience trying to browse what is actually in stock. Got my hopes up they had a Misha HT7 in the black silver sparkle. AHHHH

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Wtf is that site? Talk about the most aggravating experience trying to browse what is actually in stock. Got my hopes up they had a Misha HT7 in the black silver sparkle. AHHHH

Tell me about it. When I finally decided to purchase a guitar from them it was sold long ago and wasn't even updated. Talk about a bummer!

The flip side is that you can still see super cool guitars that were sold long ago.

')