Jackson Compound Radius fretboard

Curtis1

Reaction score
So apparently this fretboard is 12"-16" nut to heel.

I understand how compound radius and conical radius works.

Do Jackson start at 12" and GRADUALLY flatten out to 16" at the last fret? Or are we talking a solid 12" up to a point and then 16" from there on. I hope this question makes sense.

Kind regards guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
So apparently this fretboard is 12"-16" nut to heel.

I understand how compound radius and conical radius works.

Do Jackson start at 12" and GRADUALLY flatten out to 16" at the last fret? Or are we talking a solid 12" up to a point and then 16" from there on. I hope this question makes sense.

Kind regards guys.

It is gradually. If it were to be up to a point, it would be horrible to play it, since you'd have a huge block at both sides of the fretboard, because the fretboard flattens out there.

Curtis1

Reaction score
Thankyou for the quick reply. So the next fret is always going to be flatter than the last? How does the comfort factor compare with an Ibanez 16" straight radius?

Reaction score
Thankyou for the quick reply. So the next fret is always going to be flatter than the last? How does the comfort factor compare with an Ibanez 16" straight radius?

I have never had it myself. But I could assume it wouldn't make much of a difference. It mostly is just for the feeling of a small radius, but having the higher notes not ring out prematurely when you bend them.

tedtan

Reaction score
It's a bit easier to play certain chords in the lower positions for some people, but you still get the benefit of a flatter fingerboard up the neck. Either way, its still comfortable.

')