Jackson DXMG project

• Thread starter PlagueX1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PlagueX1

Banned
Reaction score
I started sanding down my old Jackson DXMG, which was my 2nd guitar. This is my first time ever refinishing a guitar :ugh:

Anyways anyone have any tips tricks or what not? Any ideas on the finishing process I should do. I'm going to be doing a natural finish. I was thinking tung oil, but its not 100% yet.

4093951885_d2f7cec2a4_b.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

redlol

Reaction score
the wook looks a little plain...
you coudl do a veneer over the top i suppose but i think a new 'real' paintjob would do it more justice than leavin it natural as the woods not that great looking from what i can see.
oh and do the headstock as well:p matching is win:hbang:

have fun:yesway:

EDIT- lookin at the paint u got round the edges it looks a lil like faux binding. if its like that all the way round then it may be better to leave it natural...

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think a coloured trans finish would look nice, the wood is plain but is a good plain, pure natural meh don't think that looks good ever and especially not on plain tops like that.

metalmike550

metalmechanic!!
Reaction score
just remember... prep is the key. fine sand a bunch with high grit paper, do this between coats of paint to keep from getting the "orange peel" effect. ive done a bunch of guitars and i suggest you get AUTOMOTIVE GRADE PAINT! the other crap will make your arm stick to the guitar when its finished. ive done tung oil on several guitars. it comes out looking and feeling perfect. plus its easy and cheap.

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
You guys should check out Project Guitar.com :: Guitar Project.com . It's full of practical, handy advice and JEM orientated.

I stripped a guitar once... I feel your pain... Sprayed it with rattle cans... *SIGH* ... Oh dear ... It took lot's of work and sucked big time despite much thought and effort... Heed this WARNING: It can be done, but best left to masicists (not one I spell often).

I sent it to be professionally sprayed, my "Primer" coat made it easy to finish as it didn't absorb all the paint ( your body will soak up a ton of paint as you've stripped off the sanding sealer ).

Best thing to do is find someone with a compressor and spray gun who can do a good job. My search for someone local brought me to a cool luthier dude who does air graphics, who not only has done some awesome work for me, has become a good friend. I'm planning an unreal graphic for a custom 7 string I have which will be unveiled in the new year...

Veneering and staining looks achievable at home, but getting a sprayed lacquer on your stain, or at least sanding sealer is the only way to go.

If you plan to do a lot of spraying/air brushing in the future, you can pickup a small compressor from automotive parts stores online and a gravity fed gun. Car paint will work well. A small buffing wheel would be good too to save your sanding/polishing time and *literally* long term elbow damage.

One thing which is good, easy and cheap and not often mentioned is this... Buy a large sheet of double sided plastic and a single sided piece... put one straight onto the body... Buy a cool Tshirt ( I bought one in forest camouflage, one in urban camouflage) and use PVA glue to stick it to the plastic top... add the final sheet of plastic and trim the edges... Do the headstock if you like... It'll take you half an hour... From audience distance awesome! It worked for me and I sold one guitar like that. Best bit is it's really easy to change it up for every gig! SERIOUSLY!

Good luck and have fun!

')