Jackson guitars, country of manufacture???

• Thread starter Nag
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you - I generally call the seller for them to confirm. I had a guitar shipped from a music store where they confirmed it was "Made in Korea" and when I got it...
Indonesia. Naturally they paid for the return and all shipping fees.

No one is mad, or saying you’re breaking rules. You’re just overthinking everything. If you’re that concerned just purchase from a dealer with a good return policy. Your MII, and MIK guitar has as good a chance of being a lemon as MIC.
Maybe maybe not. In my experience MII = always something affecting playability. MIK = minor problems that does not affect playability. MIC = usually unplayable

But they could tell me that a 1300 bucks guitar is made in Indonesia, Korea or what do I know instead of China. Especially if the production is split up, for all I know, the same model might be made in two different factories in two different countries at the same time, have two different standards of quality because of that, but still be sold at a unique price. I am indeed not okay with spending 4 digits on a Chinese guitar. For now, anyway. I'll wait and see if their reputation gets better over time.

I'm not okay with spending 4 digits on an Indonesian guitar. Here's the thing. If ESP, for example, is saving a buck on costs, I'm not going to be overspending so they can make that extra buck due to cheaper rates from a different country.

Why does it have to be a Western European dealer to tell you where a guitar is made? What's wrong with asking Jackson directly? Why not just go on Reverb and look at pictures of actual guitars?

You said you were going to order the guitar, why not ask them?

Yeah do this, and make them document what they said via email so you have a trail of evidence.

You started this thread three hours ago. In less than three hours you have figured out where the guitars are made. An email or phone call to a retailer would have taken 10 minutes tops.

Also true.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most Jacksons that are not Japanese or American are China and Indonesia. Even at the 1.5K price point. (Same with Ibanez)

A few exceptions of their Pro Model was made in Korea recently. Idk which one, but don't really care since I didn't like it.

If anything - I miss the Japanese jacksons that were available for $1000 or les.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
But they could tell me that a 1300 bucks guitar is made in Indonesia, Korea or what do I know instead of China. Especially if the production is split up, for all I know, the same model might be made in two different factories in two different countries at the same time, have two different standards of quality because of that, but still be sold at a unique price. I am indeed not okay with spending 4 digits on a Chinese guitar. For now, anyway. I'll wait and see if their reputation gets better over time.

Either way, I dunno what Max is mad at. I used this website for its intended purpose, respected the rules, and got what I wanted. I fail to see the problem there. As long as I don't do anything that's actually not allowed here, I don't get it.

No one is mad. :lol:

All I'm saying is that FMIC isn't trying to scam you, and that if you have any genuine concerns there are tons of quick and easy ways to find the info you want and help put you at ease.

Fender/Jackson isn't going to break the law to sell a couple random $1500 guitars.

AboutBlank

Reaction score
I totally don‘t get it…

You can ask the manufacturer, the distributor or the dealer.
When you order online (atleast in western europe) you can return foc and get your money back.

Seems you take things personally for absolutely no reason…

Not showing such things in official promo pics from the manufacturer is usual, as they don‘t know where they end up and are responsible when something changes, like the place of origin.

/wrists

enthusiast
Reaction score
I totally don‘t get it…

You can ask the manufacturer, the distributor or the dealer.
When you order online (atleast in western europe) you can return foc and get your money back.

Seems you take things personally for absolutely no reason…

Not showing such things in official promo pics from the manufacturer is usual, as they don‘t know where they end up and are responsible when something changes, like the place of origin.
I have asked ESP and they yell me they have no idea which one will ship out as Korean or Indonesia for a model that's made in both places. The thing is too on the used market, people tend to not buy Indonesia.

AboutBlank

Reaction score
No problem to decode it from the serial for the distri…

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
Yeah it's all good. I may agree that I slightly overreact sometimes.

I remember getting a fantastic japanese guitar for 1800 back in 2009. Now you may spend 1500 on a Chinese guitar and you have to expect to maybe get a dud. Makes me sad that this is the norm now.

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
if only there was a way in which you could exchange money to buy a guitar made exactly where you want it to be made.

mxbraud

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Im Always investigating every guitar I get interested in. First thing is what Factory it's made in. I have MII, MIK, MIM and MIJ Jackson, ESP LTD, Kramer, Charvel and Ibanez guitars and I haven't owned any MIC guitars as they seem to have more issues than any other at this point. The MIC Jackson's are only the Crackle Finished models in both the "PRO" and "X" lineup. The Rest of the PRO and X Models are MII, MIM and MIK and are the same guitars, but Hardware and Pickups are upgraded in the "PRO" Models. For years now I've been seeing the PhotoShopping of the headstocks and I would go all over the Net looking for Un doctored picks to see the Country of Origen! LOL! They are Such D**Ks for trying to be deceitful with it! I DO Believe that the World Music Factory in S. Korea is making some of the best Guitars for your money Today and they are close to Japan more and more as time goes on.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
No one is mad, or saying you’re breaking rules. You’re just overthinking everything. If you’re that concerned just purchase from a dealer with a good return policy. Your MII, and MIK guitar has as good a chance of being a lemon as MIC.

It’s not always about quality. Many people won’t buy from China on principle. I try to avoid buying things that were made there, at least when I have some obvious choice. The new Brandon Ellis Jackson looks sweet, but it’s MIC so that’s a 100% no from me.

jl-austin

Reaction score
Okay.....
From what I have seen.

JS - recently always China
X-series - Standard finishes (meaning no crackles, swirls etc), MII
Pro series - Standard Finishes, bolt on MIM, neck-thru MII
X-series and Pro series special finishes are MIC

I really, really wanted a cracked mirror Kelly (X-series, special finish), but I didn't want to spend $1200 on a MIC guitar.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
So y’all will spend $1k+ on your MIC phones and computers and everything else, just guitars happens to be where you draw the line? Even at the same price point? Bearing in mind that this is today’s $1k, not the same value as it was decades ago. For the same money in early 2000 you’d probably be paying the same for a low end Jackson, LTD, etc. with worse specs and hardware outright.

I’m not trying to advocate that the Chinese factories are suddenly on par with all the others with build quality. It just seems a little weird to me if it’s “out of principle” in that respect.

jl-austin

Reaction score
I consider it a "value" thing. I can spend $800 on a "standard" MII Jackson Kelly, or $1200 on one with a "special" finish from China.

I'm sorry, in my mind, right now China = Cheap.

And cellphones and computers aren't made in China because they make them better (on the contrary actually), they are made there because companies can make them......cheaper.

mxbraud

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So y’all will spend $1k+ on your MIC phones and computers and everything else, just guitars happens to be where you draw the line? Even at the same price point? Bearing in mind that this is today’s $1k, not the same value as it was decades ago. For the same money in early 2000 you’d probably be paying the same for a low end Jackson, LTD, etc. with worse specs and hardware outright.

I’m not trying to advocate that the Chinese factories are suddenly on par with all the others with build quality. It just seems a little weird to me if it’s “out of principle” in that respect.
I think it's more about China as a Country and what they stand for that turns people away. The reality is that this is only the beginning of the Chinese guitar market on a grand scale and 10 years from now everyone's perspective will be different just like it always has with every other continent that's building guitars. The fact that USA guitars cost the price of a fucking motorcycle today is indication that MIA is going to be done with soon enough as 95% of buyers don't want to get taken advantage of considering that MIA guitars also have so much QC issues at such a ridiculous high price.

vibrantgermancities

Reaction score
I appreciate some people have ethical concerns about where things are made so I'm not going to get into that.

But at this point, the "country x/y/z = terrible manufacturing quality" argument seems so bizarre. I know people will be hung up on the past, and of course the rise of internet shopping has killed off people's desire (and ability in some cases, I'll concede) to actually go and, y'know, try a guitar out before dropping four figures on it and complaining that you don't like it. I swear there have been about 50 'why is everything expensive now compared with 10 years ago?' and 'I'm not buying a guitar built in x' threads since the turn of the year. It's very weird.

Also, everyone needs to play an Eastman and then re-evaluate their opinions of Chinese build quality.

jl-austin

Reaction score
Also, everyone needs to play an Eastman and then re-evaluate their opinions of Chinese build quality.

I have a Jackson (some GC special model) that was given to me that is MIC, it plays fine. It's a nice guitar. But if I ever take it to the repair shop, or try to sell it, and they see that MIC logo, there goes its value. Maybe that will change in 5 to 10 years, who knows. I suppose when they start making guitars in Vietnam or India, and China "Tiers up", their perceived value will increase.

I had a top of the line Eastman mandolin, again great instrument. But that thing was so fancy its logo didn't matter.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
That’s exactly my point, though. The same people “screaming China is cheap” (I’m not arguing against that fact) suddenly have no moral objections against it when it’s for their consumer electronics, dollar bin goodies and other various things they probably just take for granted. The alleged quality, or lack thereof is no longer a factor. It seems to only apply to guitars, which to me is a little weird. Guitar parts and wood don’t suddenly become more expensive when they’re slapped together in Korea, or Indonesia (assuming same specs, build, etc.)

Again, I’m not really trying to sway anyone either way. I don’t own any MIC guitars myself, but I’m not opposed to trying one, and if I think it’s worth the money purchasing it. I just think it’s kind of a weird logical fallacy to have :shrug:

zw470

Reaction score
That’s exactly my point, though. The same people “screaming China is cheap” (I’m not arguing against that fact) suddenly have no moral objections against it when it’s for their consumer electronics, dollar bin goodies and other various things they probably just take for granted. The alleged quality, or lack thereof is no longer a factor. It seems to only apply to guitars, which to me is a little weird. Guitar parts and wood don’t suddenly become more expensive when they’re slapped together in Korea, or Indonesia (assuming same specs, build, etc.)

Again, I’m not really trying to sway anyone either way. I don’t own any MIC guitars myself, but I’m not opposed to trying one, and if I think it’s worth the money purchasing it. I just think it’s kind of a weird logical fallacy to have :shrug:

It's not a logical fallacy when most Chinese-made products don't have domestically produced options, and the few that do are typically priced orders of magnitude higher. Sure, I can buy an entry-level Gibson for a reasonable premium over a higher-end Epiphone, but compare the price of a Kobalt toolbox from Lowes to something from Mac or Snap-On.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score

Not quite the same IMO. I'm fairly sure phones are 100% machine assembled, with little to no human work on the product itself. And it's not a product that needs to have a specific feel or setup, that reacts to weather changes during shipping, etc. I actually dunno where my massively overpriced Samsung S10 was made, probaby China but not 100% sure, but it's still cheaper than some of the Chinese guitars we're talking about here (there are MIC Jackson Pro's for up to like 1600€ from what I've seen). Guitars need way more care to feel good than phones, so, I'm more picky about it.

I have trouble finding Chinese made Jacksons near me in shops, but I'm still willing to give em a try. It's just, when you can't try before paying, reputation plays a big role, and right now, reputation wise, Chinese guitars are still bottom tier compared to most other countries. Doesn't mean they're all shit, just means it's not absurd to be more cautious about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')