Jackson NAMM 2014 Thread

• Thread starter Church2224
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
People don't play Rhoads or Kellys for the ergonomics. What are you proposing to change exactly that'll fix this? Fill the one of the body wings with lead?

rhoads : just place the strap pins further apart from each other (at the tip of the long horn for example)

kelly : bigger body (like it used to have, like, 30 years ago) and again, strap pin at the tip

done.

I do play my RR for ergonomics. I find it much easier to play than a superstrat or any common shape. it's just not as good as it COULD be with 2-3 minor tweaks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
English is not my first language, and I'm a little confused if you actually mean DK2MHT is a bad guitar when you called it crap.

I'm sorry. That's not what I meant at all, but that's my fault. I was using the word crap as an exclamation. I think the guitar is awesome. What I should have said was "Holy crap, that guitar is awesome!".

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
A 25.5" hard tail King V, or the regular KV2T?

That and a KE2T are all I want from Jackson.

I am looking at the Custom Select sheet right now for 2014, and it looks like both a KV2T and a KE2T are available. In fact the DK1 is the only model that cannot have a fixed bridge.

haffner1

Reaction score
I would really like to score a KV7 or an SL2H7, as long as they get the full sized inlays. I would have to sell a lot of guitars though!

Black Mamba

Reaction score
A 25.5" hard tail King V, or the regular KV2T?

That and a KE2T are all I want from Jackson.

A 25.5" hardtail King V. (String-through KV2.)

The new sheet has 2 bridges to choose from: An OFR (that you can get recessed or not) and a tune-o-matic. Like Church said, the only model you can't get the tune-o-matic on is the Dinky.

Reaction score
To me Jackson still has no replacement for the high-end japanese models they used to have, as i think their current Pro-Series (qualitywise) is just a X-Series with ebony and maple fretboards. All the Sl2s i tried had quality issues compared even to my cheapest japanese Jackson (JDR94) and just didn't feel like i'm used to from my japanese and USA Jacksons.
Yeah at first i'm a Jackson-Player since the early 90s and i'm disappointed with what they do.

Regarding those fails within their promotion: Sometimes you could think they just don't care. Remember the Promo-Video (i think it was the X-Series Slat) where the Sustain was lacking bad? Things like that shoudn't happen.

But to be fair, the last Jacksons that came out of Japan i tried or bought (and sold with one exception) often had some kind of a dead wood syndrom or showed some signs of sloppiness build quality-wise compared to the very high quality i was used to. Especially my Japanese jacksons from the early 90s are still (after more than 20 years now) some of my absolute favourite guitars. They just live and breath.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To me Jackson still has no replacement for the high-end japanese models they used to have, as i think their current Pro-Series (qualitywise) is just a X-Series with ebony and maple fretboards. All the Sl2s i tried had quality issues compared even to my cheapest japanese Jackson (JDR94) and just didn't feel like i'm used to from my japanese and USA Jacksons.
Yeah at first i'm a Jackson-Player since the early 90s and i'm disappointed with what they do.

Regarding those fails within their promotion: Sometimes you could think they just don't care. Remember the Promo-Video (i think it was the X-Series Slat) where the Sustain was lacking bad? Things like that shoudn't happen.

I think *everything* Pro has moved to Mexico (though don't quote me), so it'll be better quality.

But to be fair, the last Jacksons that came out of Japan i tried or bought (and sold with one exception) often had some kind of a dead wood syndrom or showed some signs of sloppiness build quality-wise compared to the very high quality i was used to. Especially my Japanese jacksons from the early 90s are still (after more than 20 years now) some of my absolute favourite guitars. They just live and breath.

You're just not going to get top-quality wood at the $800-$1000 price point like you did in the '90s anymore. The Jackson stuff is on par with everything else I've played in the respective price ranges. Unfortunately, that means a similar dud rate.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Maybe they are staggering their releases this year?

Perhaps all their models weren't ready for NAMM this year or they are being unconventional?

If I'm not mistaken the Custom Select line has limited runs multiple times a year. So they're not doing anything abnormal, but they have made some really tempting ones. The blackened KV is up there for me.

I'm not sure what so many people expect from companies at NAMM. They can't reinvent the wheel every year and do it well or avoid over-diluting the markets. Jackson released a bunch of new stuff mid-late 2013 including a new model (B7).
I kind of feel crazy for being one of the only ones who sees the current Pro Series as a good move. I love both of my Pro Series and the reverse headstock DK7 looks killer. We all love the MIJ models, but they lost their factory in a tsunami and there is still a massive radioactive fallout going on. What more do you want? They expanded and improved the X Series, Pro Series and have improved the Custom Select line which is probably one of the most reasonably priced and seemingly quick turn around custom shops out there.
/rant.

I'm really digging what Jackson, E-II, Ibanez, and Schecter are doing this year, both in terms of new options and pricing compared to last year.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
Also as stated Jackson has Released a proper Sl2h-7, Fixed Bridge KV2, and an RR-24 USA model. There really is not much you can ask of Jackson as of now.

MKII

Reaction score
A lot of other really cool options too!

New Custom Select options include:

- SL2H-7
- RR24
- Hardtail Option (not available on a Dinky)
- New pickup configurations (1 Hum, H-S, H-S-S)
- Mahogany body wood and neck wood options
- AT1 headstock and Reverse AT1 headstock (like the Broderick)
- Flame Maple or Birdseye Maple fretboard options
- Reverse Sharkfins
- Black binding
- Locking tuners
- Straplocks
- Direct mount pickups
- Graphite Reinforced necks

I almost shit myself. Then i got rational. After 25 years thought this to good to be true, even after i saw the initial post about a 7 being a custom select option i didn't believe it. Again after the post above i thought rationally after a few seconds and said bs outloud. And as i am now looking at the 2014 Custom Select order form and i only see SL2H7 as a masterbuilt option and nowhere do i see reversed sharkies at all.
Although Jackson is know for having pretty crappy communication in the print/specs department i am again holding out for a miracle.. but barley.
And I would have ordered already within a few minutes of seeing this post at least a Soloist 7 and probably an RR24 both with SS frets and reversed Sharks if it were in the spec sheet as a normal Custom Select.

Black Mamba

Reaction score
I almost shit myself. Then i got rational. After 25 years thought this to good to be true, even after i saw the initial post about a 7 being a custom select option i didn't believe it. Again after the post above i thought rationally after a few seconds and said bs outloud. And as i am now looking at the 2014 Custom Select order form and i only see SL2H7 as a masterbuilt option and nowhere do i see reversed sharkies at all.
Although Jackson is know for having pretty crappy communication in the print/specs department i am again holding out for a miracle.. but barley.
And I would have ordered already within a few minutes of seeing this post at least a Soloist 7 and probably an RR24 both with SS frets and reversed Sharks if it were in the spec sheet as a normal Custom Select.

Even though they're currently not on the Options Menu, (Jackson now has it on their website for those interested), I've gotten confirmation from a dealer that you can get an SL2H-7 through the Custom Select program as well as reverse sharkfins.

MKII

Reaction score
Even though they're currently not on the Options Menu, (Jackson now has it on their website for those interested), I've gotten confirmation from a dealer that you can get an SL2H-7 through the Custom Select program as well as reverse sharkfins.

Then the Zombie Apacalypse, Hell freezing over and Flying Pigs incoming. Now the choice is much harder - Jackson Custom, or go out like Charlie Sheen on a pre apocalyptic Las Vegas Bender.:scratch:

Reaction score
I think *everything* Pro has moved to Mexico (though don't quote me), so it'll be better quality.
yes i've heard that rumors, too. I think it would be a good move, as in my opinion, the mexican Jacksons are better built compared to the indonesian ones. At least the ones i played in stores.

You're just not going to get top-quality wood at the $800-$1000 price point like you did in the '90s anymore. The Jackson stuff is on par with everything else I've played in the respective price ranges. Unfortunately, that means a similar dud rate.
Sad but seems to be true.

But i want to add, that there were some higher end models (some SLSMGs, Elite Soloist and Rhoads, Slat3-6) i owned/played that were really really dead sounding.
Nearly not resonating, especially thin sound even compared to a much cheaper 2004 RR3. Never played guitars again that were so thin, dull sounding. And trust me, it was hard to admit that as a Jackson-Fan from the heart.

We all love the MIJ models, but they lost their factory in a tsunami and there is still a massive radioactive fallout going on. What more do you want?
The closure of the japanese factory (Chushin Gakki) wasn't caused by a natural disaster in any way.
It was handmade, caused by some old, outdated, more and more unprofitable contracts between FMIC and Chushin Gakki.
It was said, that Chushin Gakki was making nearly no profit over the last years of the production. At least this is what i remember.:)

They expanded and improved the X Series, Pro Series and have improved the Custom Select line which is probably one of the most reasonably priced and seemingly quick turn around custom shops out there.

What i am really missing in their current line-up is something between the 700/800€ Pro and their (meanwhile) 2600-3000€ USA-Select-Series. Something like those SLSs, Slat3s, SL3, RR24 and so on. Maybe even a bit higher priced than those had been. Here in germany prices on USA-models have insanely grown over the last 4-5 years.

And maybe a bit more care with some of their promotions, a customer service/distribution that knows facts about their current (and their discontinued) line-up. :squint:

//Edit:
Oh what i forgot in my wishlist :): Some higher end 6 or 7 string SLSs (shaped like the japanese ones) with/without Floyd Rose, higher-mid-range (non-USA) Warriors, maybe some Stealths or Kelly Stars again?:yum:

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
The closure of the japanese factory (Chushin Gakki) wasn't caused by a natural disaster in any way.
It was handmade, caused by some old, outdated, more and more unprofitable contracts between FMIC and Chushin Gakki.
It was said, that Chushin Gakki was making nearly no profit over the last years of the production. At least this is what i remember.:)

I stand corrected. Didn't someone lose a factory?

Latest posts

')