Jackson Pro DKA7 Don't Buy it. Heres Why...

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Thanks for the review, hopefully they fix the aforementioned issues you stated. I'd be curious to hear other reviews as you really did seem to get a dud. Jackson usually has some solid instruments, it'd be a shame if their quality dropped.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

McBonez

Banned
Reaction score
I think that he gave a review much like anyone should. Does anyone know the consensus on the tonewood of choice like basswood, alder, maple, ash? Does anyone have a set amount of string buzz that they like? I know guys that say that it helps them play better. What is the consensus on everyone's favorite pickup? Favorite fretboard radius? Etc.

The thing is, when someone does a review, it's going to be from their point of view unless you do reviews for motor trend, which are even then sometimes swayed by preference. I mean, the ferrari 550 Maranello had a drastic mix of reviews in motor trend. Above most everyone's reach? Yes. Cool as hell? Yes. More specifically, some hated the loose back end while some loved it. <--Preference.

OP said it sounded thin. It's likely got a thin tone in his opinion. Said there was too much material removed. There likely is. For whatever reason, he gave a review and hasn't been a douche back to any of you who flamed him.

Did you even read through the entire thread?

Give it a full read and then try to tell me something doesn't smell off about the whole thing.

Also I LOVE fretbuzz all over the neck. I keep my instruments in pristine condition so I can get dead notes for days! :lol:

tyler_faith_08

Strings of Chaos
Reaction score
I did read the thread. I'm not saying his review should be considered gospel, but it should be taken for what it is. The guitar isn't even out yet so who knows for sure if he's telling the truth?

Now as far as a free guitar, no. I don't believe that for a second. However, most guys that have a really small post count that get on any forum (all that I'm a member of) and talk bad about a product don't even have a semi-valid reason for why it sucked. I'm not saying that his analysis was to the tee, but still. OP gave (IMO) a somewhat above average review, especially for a first post. Sure, some things didn't add up, but still. Something is off, but come on. It's dude's first post lol.

As far as string buzz, I agree that any is bad. However, a guy that I work with says that "there's a fine line between string buzz and unplayable." It's stupid IMO, but to each his own I guess. Not the first time I've heard something like that, either believe it or not.

Now with the body mass issue, I'll say this: I've done experiments on guitars for years and years. If there is nothing else I know about guitars, it's modifications. I've tried everything I've ever been able to afford and recorded the before and after results (which I've already promised some members for when I return to he states).

Get a cheap body and throw some spare parts on it and play it and cut some of the material out of the body and tell me how it affects tone. I did this years ago (when I was a EVH fanboy) with a knockoff explorer intending to mimic his shark guitar and it killed the tone. NO midrange, whatsoever. I will agree that the guitar in question may just be a dead piece of wood, but the loss of mass likely made it worse.

9unslin9er

Reaction score
If I were this guy, I'd seriously consider deleting this thread.

Jackson might have had a questionable era in the previous decade, but their incorporation into Fender has done wonders for their QC.

I paid full retail for my Slat7 hard tail and I can attest that the "Made in Indonesia" sticker means absolutely nothing. The fit and finish on the instrument is superb and disregarding the Poly vs. Nitro arguments, I'd put it up against my Gibson Les Paul Traditional in a heartbeat in terms of craftsmanship.

If you were given a demo instrument for testing, treat it as an evaluation. NOT as a final consumer product. That's what you're given a free instrument to do! Be its tester, find its faults and report back to the manufacturer. Not bash an unfinished product.

lobotom

Reaction score
So I started reading this thread a day before my guitar was to arrive. Needless to say, it made me nervous even though this was just some guy's opinion and still very strange that somebody that gets a guitar from a company comes to an open forum to trash it. Anyway, I got my guitar, (plenty of pics) and to my disappointment the guitar was kind of a let down. First it came with a ding and was pretty much unplayable. Not sure who to blame (leaning towards the store where I got it from). The guitar seem to had been slapped together and thrown in the box. It needed a massive setup. I know that every guitar needs it but this one was out of control. I tried to play it and they were dead spots all over the neck. I tried to keep it in tune but it was becoming redundant. Couldn't compare to my JP70 that was basically perfect out of the box. As far as sound goes, I won't say that it was necessarily thin sounding but it lacks some bottom end (At least compared to my JP7, JPX7 and JP70). But it could be the pickups. I didn't adjust them and have never played D activators before.

Anyway, I really wanted to like this guitar but I guess that I'll have to wait for when they get it together. Hopefully everybody else's experience are better. If there's any shops reading this? spend sometime inspecting what your sending out. This guitar made the cheapest off the wall guitar at GC play like a dream. IMO

Alex

IMG_20130816_150533_zps0a8c5faf.jpg

IMG_20130816_150556_zps74f01cb3.jpg

IMG_20130816_150621_zpsa6503c3b.jpg

IMG_20130816_150642_zpsbb681334.jpg

IMG_20130816_150717_zpsc2aa444b.jpg

IMG_20130816_150742_zps74e5c8a7.jpg

IMG_20130816_150754_zps25925fa4.jpg

IMG_20130816_150805_zps3bc357a4.jpg

IMG_20130816_150835_zps9ac70f57.jpg

IMG_20130816_150850_zpsbd84080d.jpg

IMG_20130816_151059_zps58d7e202.jpg

A little extra that I didn't pay for and probably the main reason why is going back.
IMG_20130816_150910_zps6fd70092.jpg

And here she waits...
IMG_20130816_164157_zps1f23d968.jpg

MrPowers

Reaction score
^Mine had a couple marks like that as well. They just wiped right off with my finger.

That sucks though man, mine must be the exception not the rule. Jackson needs to step it up, these really could be great guitars. :noplease:

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Jackson might have had a questionable era in the previous decade, but their incorporation into Fender has done wonders for their QC.

You on crack bro? Their QC has been simply awful since the Fender acquisition. I've been a Jackson player for literally 21 years now and never have I seen such poor quality control.

I bought a Slatxmg3-7 from Sweetwater and something, likely the bridge, was drilled ever so slightly off center causing the low B string to be too close to the edge of the fretboard and the string would constantly slip off while playing so I had to return it. Went to J&R Music in Manhattan as they had some slat's and was going to go with the hardtail one until I spotted a half inch long crack in the binding. Sure it could've happened at the store but who knows. Then I buy the Floyd matte black one again at Guitar Center. Much better except it has fret spurring in the highest frets - that's when the fretboard shrinks and the frets push outward. Here, you can see what it looks like and another member here had the same thing:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/3417839-post2.html

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/228301-should-i-try-exchange.html

Then there's the pickup route issue which I thought they'd fixed already. Some have the routes forward and some back. Again, thought this was only the SLATXMG3-7 line and that they fixed it after serial number xxx0500 but now someone has posted about the issue with their new Slat 8's, and included photos.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/3685923-post30.html

Sorry bro, but Jackson QC has simply not gotten better since Fender, it's gotten worse and there is plenty of proof to back this up.

Rev.

9unslin9er

Reaction score
You on crack bro? Their QC has been simply awful since the Fender acquisition. I've been a Jackson player for literally 21 years now and never have I seen such poor quality control.

I am pretty far from being on crack. Keep it professional "Bro".

I've played Dinkys and Soloists since the mid 90's and they had a major dip after that. They've improved dramatically in the last few years. Jackson sells thousands of guitars. Even if there were a dozen or so crappy reviews on this forum, it doesn't represent all the excellent instruments other consumers own. My main guitar was a Fusion short scale for the longest time and was pissed they started getting shoddy with their production. My friend owned a US custom Soloist and I GASed the longest time for that as well.

I have had ZERO issues with my Slat7. I bought it from Sweetwater as well. Sweetwater always takes care of their customers, if there was any issue with your guitar, I'm sure they would have replaced it or refunded your money.

It boils down to this: You can go the extra mile, and spend the extra dime to go to a store and test out an instrument, or you can shop from a distributor who cares about and inspects their product.

-OR-

You can buy from any dingy internet wholesaler and get what you thought you were saving money on. Something that sat in a hot and humid storeroom for months, or was tossed around a conveyer belt.

Also, that wood shrinking issue can happen to ANY instrument, regardless of country of manufacture or QC. Wood shrinks or expands depending on humidity and temperature. The moment you feel those frets starting to poke, it's time to take your guitar to a luthier and get it dressed. If you let your guitar sit on a stand with the radiator full blast and your binding starts to pop, that's all on you.

I think that pickup discrepancy issue is laughable. I mean that bottom picture doesn't even look like a real photo. It looks like some photoshop job of how someone WANTED the pickups to be positioned and it somehow ended up on Google images. I wouldn't buy a guitar based on stock photos. If you're the type that likes to do so, by all means gamble your money. But again, don't be a sore loser about it.

Exit Existence

Reaction score
All Jackson imports sincethe OLD MIJ pro series fcking blow for the amount of money you pay for them. Why you guys haven't figured this out yet is beyond me lol ??
I own a USA soloist and the quality is amazing, but their import series guitars are a ....ing joke.

The X series neck thru models surprisingly weren't too bad fit and finish wise.. at least the price was right on those. The $450 X series rhoads honestly felt exactly the same quality fit and finish as say a $1,000 RR24 or something.

But all the shit with like them messing up the bridge position on the SLATS and the changing of body woods mid production, and the factory damaged dents and dings that shit is just stupid sloppy mistakes easily avoidable.

9unslin9er

Reaction score
But all the shit with like them messing up the bridge position on the SLATS and the changing of body woods mid production, and the factory damaged dents and dings that shit is just stupid sloppy mistakes easily avoidable.

EXACTLY. Avoidable by not buying them.

I feel like people are blowing a grand on these instruments that were posted on ZZsounds or some BS and then being disappointed they spent so much money on something they didn't get to examine.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
@9unslin9er - firstly, I don't make a living posting on here so I don't see any need to be "professional". Second, I did return it to Sweetwater, did you not read my post? Third, I found issues with the Jackson slatxmg3-7 at three different stores, what else do you want? I posted links to others with issues and you simply blew it off. Lastly, you didn't post a single thing to backup your QC claim. Sorry but you're posting like a fanboy, and I actually am a fanboy of Jackson. I just have some objectivity.

Rev.

9unslin9er

Reaction score
@Rev, I addressed your issue regarding the Sweetwater purchase, I addressed your fretwork issue, and I addressed the issue regarding the images questioning pickup placement.

Simply put, you got a s#itty one. It happens. The bridge was off, Sweetwater took the hit for the return, and you got *most* of your money back (minus shipping probably).

I have guitars of all different makes and don't have any particular love for Jackson. My Schecter Damien is an equally fine instrument. I simply find your points irrelevant to the manufacturer's QC.

I've owned my Slat for several months and it is a fantastic instrument, I don't need it to be representative of every model out there, I am simply attesting to the amazing craftsmanship of my personal guitar. I also take phenomenal care of my gear. I case them when not in use and do routine maintenance when problems arise. So IME, I would say there can be any number of issues affecting the quality of a guitar and my posts here are to simply offer my experience with my recent purchase.

I mean we have an international trade here. People forget, these planks of wood travel thousands of miles overseas, before they get evaluated here, and then get more mileage before they reach your hands, not to mention the neglect some music stores offer.

You found a crack and fret issues on a store demo in Manhattan, big whup, don't buy it. Did you ask a rep how long the guitar had been sitting on the wall? Or if some window shopper came in and abused it?

I was also responding to you stating I was on crack, or otherwise calling me an idiot before rationally discussing the subject. I found it offensive, and if you persist using that language, I will simply ignore you.

lobotom

Reaction score
^Mine had a couple marks like that as well. They just wiped right off with my finger.

That sucks though man, mine must be the exception not the rule. Jackson needs to step it up, these really could be great guitars. :noplease:

You're right, the black "smudges" will probably wipe clean but the dent/ding can fit half of my pinky nail in. It obviously happened at the factory, it just sucks that it made it all the way to "brand new fresh out of the box" store sale.
Both Jackson and the stores are to blame on this one.

Alex

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
All Jackson imports sincethe OLD MIJ pro series fcking blow for the amount of money you pay for them. Why you guys haven't figured this out yet is beyond me lol ??
I own a USA soloist and the quality is amazing, but their import series guitars are a ....ing joke.

The X series neck thru models surprisingly weren't too bad fit and finish wise.. at least the price was right on those. The $450 X series rhoads honestly felt exactly the same quality fit and finish as say a $1,000 RR24 or something.

Pretty much this. I have three USA Jacksons made form about 2005- and they are all pretty awesome. Number 4 will soon be on its way.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
You found a crack and fret issues on a store demo in Manhattan, big whup, don't buy it.

Holy geez what planet are you from? You stated, "their incorporation into Fender has done wonders for their QC" and I come on here and throw you tons of proof that their QC has been terrible since the Fender acquisition. You say you "addressed" my points, no you didn't, not one bit. You basically said, "Shit happens, if you don't find the instrument up to your standard don't buy it.

I didn't say I found a crack and fret issues on *one* instrument at *one* store, I said one stores (Sweetwater) had an off center string alignment, another (J&R Music World) had a crack in the binding, and yet another (Guitar Center) had fret spurring. Yet to further my point I post links to others with complaints and here's this thread we're in with this guy complaining of the DKA7... and yet you still argue simply because you have one Slat that is fine and dandy. Good for you, I didn't say they were all bad. I simply said the QC is nowhere near what it was after having bought a dozen or so other Jacksons in my 21 years playing them. Whatever dude :rolleyes:

Rev.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score

two of my best guitars are japanese jacksons that are only a couple years old. my SLSMG from the factory was one of the hottest guitars I've ever played and most of the COWs i had were no slouches either

not every guitar a factory produces is good or bad... it's all ratios. gibson 10% of their guitars are good, suhr 100% are good. esp/ltd 60% are good, japanese jacksons maybe 50%

this is why imo guitars are best played before they are bought. convenience factor of buying whatever you want online is nice but you really need to try a guitar to really know if it is worth buying

9unslin9er

Reaction score
Holy geez what planet are you from?

Haha. I'm from planet: "Let's not give so much of a s#it how perfect our guitars are and get back to playing music."

Arguments aside man, I don't want to fight with you and in all earnest, I feel bad for the guys here who got a crappy guitar. I was just trying to say, a few bad apples don't represent the company, and you should give them another shot. Jackson does make a great guitar when they get it right.

I think it all boils down to us being spoiled as musicians. All we have to do is jump onto eBay and Google to research how good or bad certain instruments are. We also have the luxury of better shipping services.

I used to collect vintage Japanese guitars and what we're getting from China, Indonesia, and South Korea are just blowing them out of the water.

I bought a MIJ Fernandes bass one time that had a second skin! (the frets pretty much peeled all the poly off the neck). I've had Gibson Explorers and Vs that did the same.

Imagine if Alex got a bad Harmony Kay back in the 50's? Nobody but his friends would ever hear about it! Back in the day, you'd probably just suck it up and get the damn thing fixed, or play around it, AND GET FAMOUS DOING IT!

It'd be like: "Yo that guy had a f*cked up bridge and still didn't fret out. What a badass!"

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
^^ Not to add fuel to the fire or anything, but IMHO playability and build quality are two factors that make or break a guitar. You can set up a guitar and live with minor cosmetic issues, but when there are obvious and hard-to-fix build issues like Rev is mentioning, it damages the company's rep and consumers should NOT have to put up with that in instruments they pay near to or upwards of 1k for.

9unslin9er

Reaction score
^^I would agree with you. It's just there are so many factors that come into play between the time a guitar today sees production, inspection from a company who hopefully has good QC, a warehouse, a distributor, and finally the musician.

50 years ago, overseas production was unheard of. So were internet sales. So when you bought a Strat or a Flying V. It was built here and ended up in a ma and pa shop where you'd try it out and take it home.

Now we deal with FedEx and UPS and mass produced instruments. You have to pay more attention on your end.

I wasn't trying to insinuate that you should just suck it up and deal with it. But I feel companies are trying so much harder on their end before it reaches all these third party stages.

As to my original point, there was a period where Jackson was putting out absolute garbage guitars. Like...the whole 2000's all their import line was a joke. And I was talking strictly imports. But I feel their QC has improved dramatically this decade from a manufacturing standpoint as well as marketing. What happens between Jackson, a distributor, and you is anyone's guess.

')