Jackson PRO Series 2014 thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hopefully the Pros that are built in 2014 are better than what I saw last year. One Dinky Pro had a gap between the neck and body where I could see light coming through from the other side. One Soloist Pro had its neck binding separating from the neck, looked like a hairline fracture a couple of inches long or so. Both of these were straight out of the shipping box. And did their Broderick Pro they teased us with last year ever come out?...

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
So I have to modify my thoughts. I just received and am immediately returning my second Jackson SL2 Pro. Great neck, but on both there is crazy fret sprouting and cracking along the neck binding (over half of the frets). Not acceptable on a brand new guitar in my book. The neck PUP was also routed incorrectly and mounted at an angle on the newest one.
I still have zero issues with my DK2M and RRMG (aside from camo fret markers, but I put striping tape on the binding and fixed that). Both are great guitars, but as appealing as the SL2s are, both that I had in my hands were lemons.

Cobhc221

Reaction score
So I have to modify my thoughts. I just received and am immediately returning my second Jackson SL2 Pro. Great neck, but on both there is crazy fret sprouting and cracking along the neck binding (over half of the frets). Not acceptable on a brand new guitar in my book. The neck PUP was also routed incorrectly and mounted at an angle on the newest one.
I still have zero issues with my DK2M and RRMG (aside from camo fret markers, but I put striping tape on the binding and fixed that). Both are great guitars, but as appealing as the SL2s are, both that I had in my hands were lemons.

damn man that sucks.....at least you can look forward to ESP, Schecter and ibanez this year.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Feraledge's NGD thread has made me rethink my enthusiasm. I have to say, that despite how pleased I've been with mine, it does seem like Jackson's QC has been lacking on these (and just in general these days).

I still can't claim to be displeased with any Jackson I've ever bought or played, but NGD posts like feraledge's have been increasingly common.

Hopefully the consistency level increases. I've always loved the Jackson look and preferred it to Ibanez, ESP, etc. However, despite my good experiences I'm not blind to what seems to be happening to other people.

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
I finally got to play with a DK2HT. Nothing a good set up won't fix. Very solid guitar, no flaws. Felt like the Jap models apart from a fairly flat feeling fretboard (fffffffff). I'd be dumping the Duncans if I got one but everything else seems to be pretty good.

oversteve

Reaction score
Got a newer mexican DK2MQ and older DK2m, over all both are on par with good built quality and materials, the new 3-bolt neck joint seems to be solid and also feels great. One thing that is deffinitely better in Mexican DK2 - solid Korean OFR completely made of steel instead of old low end Takeuchi's JT-580LP on Japanese one. Also one downside to the new Dinky's - sharp fret ends, this problem seems to be consitent sofar but easily fixable and I believe Jackson's QC will fix it in the future.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Got a newer mexican DK2MQ and older DK2m, over all both are on par with good built quality and materials, the new 3-bolt neck joint seems to be solid and also feels great. One thing that is deffinitely better in Mexican DK2 - solid Korean OFR completely made of steel instead of old low end Takeuchi's JT-580LP on Japanese one. Also one downside to the new Dinky's - sharp fret ends, this problem seems to be consitent sofar but easily fixable and I believe Jackson's QC will fix it in the future.

I quickly picked up a MiM DK2M a few weeks ago and it seemed pretty good, aside from the sharp fret ends as you mention. Didn't play it much more than 3 minutes so didn't really get a comprehensive test of her though.

Dooky

Reaction score
I really want to see more photos of the new 7 Strings. Thought they were going to be released in March. Both the DK7-Q and DK7-M look promising.
EDIT: Just read on the Jackson website they are due for release in May :(

Latest posts

')