Jackson PRO Series 2014 thoughts?

Cobhc221

Reaction score
most of the new guitars coming from jackson guitars this year looks very promising.

im really interested in the Dk7m model it looks dope and it has an allen key truss rod adjuster which i like if you need to get to the trust rod quickly.

Anyways are there any guitars from jackson that any of you may by this year?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
not Japanese made means not pro series to me IMHO. I see no reason to justify the price jump on these as much as they do.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
not Japanese made means not pro series to me IMHO. I see no reason to justify the price jump on these as much as they do.

Production is never moving back to Japan. We should all accept this by now. Labor is expensive and profit margins were low for many years. Sure we got great guitars out of it, but it was inevitable that things moved elsewhere (Indonesia and Mexico).

The DKA7 looks promising, but I guess I'm in the minority that prefers the smurf hat headstock on Jackson 7s. I won't be buying anything this year because... grad school, but things are looking up these days for good old Jackson. The current pro models have their share of haters but I've been happy with mine.

oracles

Reaction score
I like quite a few of the new models, but I'm not sold on the neck joints they're using for the bolt ons, and I can't justify paying that much for a new guitar when the older Japanese line can be had for a lot less, especially considering how much guitar you get from them.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score

The current models are priced right in line with similar guitars from other companies :shrug:. They just seem expensive because the most recent pro series guitar were really cheap for Japanese made instruments and the market is flooded with the old 90's pro series for great prices as well.

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
For those of us who were in the market when Jackson was still in Japan, it's a very bitter pill to swallow but the direction they are going makes it easier, even the JS Series is pretty awesome these days (and that's before you take into account they are entry level).

I picked up one of the new Warriors & it's insane, now I'm after the 32 DKA-M in black (DK2M look-alike), I'm also interested in a 7.

As for the Pro Series, I love the look of the DK2MHT in purple but i'm a tight arse, i'll wait til I can find one under $500.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I like quite a few of the new models, but I'm not sold on the neck joints they're using for the bolt ons, and I can't justify paying that much for a new guitar when the older Japanese line can be had for a lot less, especially considering how much guitar you get from them.

+1

I love my older DKMG, but I don't think I'd pay the new price for a current Pro series since I could just get another DKMG or a DK2M for under $400 easily.

cip 123

Reaction score
I've tried a few of the Pro Jacksons and they look so good I want to love them. However the ones I tried tore my hands to sh*t, worst frets I've ever played and I wanted to love the guitars so much. It wasn't just one I played DK7 and 8 models and SL models.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
+1

I love my older DKMG, but I don't think I'd pay the new price for a current Pro series since I could just get another DKMG or a DK2M for under $400 easily.

That's the main issue. I picked up a pro series soloist because I loved the features, unfinished neck, direct mount pickups, etc. However, as far as the dinkys go, I just bought an older DK2M for $300 (NGD thread forthcoming) so I see little reason to spend the cash on one of these. Dey R purdy doe.

As far as the fretwork goes, mine had a couple bad spots, but it was nothing that 15 minutes with a nail file couldn't solve. I assume every guitar I buy is going to need a setup job, including a fret dress, regardless of how much I spend on it. It shouldn't be this way, but after something travels however many miles to reach you, it's not all that surprising.

xxx128

-108 point(s) total
Reaction score
I am going to buy the black KVT pro when it comes out later this year.
Does anyone know for sure this is being made in mexico?

Cobhc221

Reaction score

i currently own an 09 DK2M thats mij and i got it for a reasonably price of under $400

but i am hoping that the new pro series lives up to their name.

Cause, the last model i played was the new dk2ms but the neck was warped, intonation was awful, the frets were coming up and it was completely unplayable. mind you this guitar i played was a $800 guitar with Seymour Duncans, alder body, quilted top and a fixed bridge. Also keep in mind that i live in arizona so i was bound to see some give in the neck but not back bowed by 6 turns.....

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
I really dug the soloists, almost bought one but spent a little more for something else. It looked great though!

Cobhc221

Reaction score
I really dug the soloists, almost bought one but spent a little more for something else. It looked great though!

they look great but i want them to perform haha.

i believe they really screwed up by going to Indonesian and mexican guitar factories.

However, with that said im not saying that both places make bad guitars cause my LTD V-401 from 2008 is Indonesia and it plays great.

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
I've never understood the mentality that a factory in Japan has some mystical quality that makes it better than a factory in Korea or Indonesia. Anyone who's been in the gear game for a while has seen plenty of USA-made guitars with all kinds of quality control issues, and the same can be said of any guitar coming from anywhere. Barring any substantial QC issues, it's not like fretwork/woods/construction is magically better just because a guitar is built in Japan rather than... well, anywhere else.

Most of nostalgia comes from prestige pricing – more expensive must mean better! But the reason the older Pro models were more expensive is because they were made in a country with considerably more expensive labor.

If I have any gripe with the Pro series, it's that they use Floyd Rose Specials. LTD and Schecter sell comparably-priced guitars with OFRs and/or the 1000 series Floyd.

Lord Voldemort

Reaction score
they look great but i want them to perform haha.

i believe they really screwed up by going to Indonesian and mexican guitar factories.

However, with that said im not saying that both places make bad guitars cause my LTD V-401 from 2008 is Indonesia and it plays great.

Haha, I don't think so. I've never really played a guitar that's worth 500 or more dollars that's made poorly, be it American or otherwise.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I've never understood the mentality that a factory in Japan has some mystical quality that makes it better than a factory in Korea or Indonesia. Anyone who's been in the gear game for a while has seen plenty of USA-made guitars with all kinds of quality control issues, and the same can be said of any guitar coming from anywhere. Barring any substantial QC issues, it's not like fretwork/woods/construction is magically better just because a guitar is built in Japan rather than... well, anywhere else.

Most of nostalgia comes from prestige pricing – more expensive must mean better! But the reason the older Pro models were more expensive is because they were made in a country with considerably more expensive labor.

If I have any gripe with the Pro series, it's that they use Floyd Rose Specials. LTD and Schecter sell comparably-priced guitars with OFRs and/or the 1000 series Floyd.

Whatchu talking about? My pro series has a floyd 1000 series. I'm of the opinion though that the difference in quality between that an the special is slim though. They both have hardened steel base plates and locking nuts. The trem arms fit poorly on both. The only real difference is the saddles, which you can replace with OFR ones on the special if you ever crack one.

Aside from that, agreed. I've played tons of MIJ and USA-made guitars that are lemons from multiple manufacturers. MIJ stuff has a reputation because factories there had been around for a long time and had worked out the kinks in production, but they still turned out sub par instruments from time to time. The longer production is elsewhere the better it will get.

I've played great feeling guitars from Indonesia, India, China, etc.

Cobhc221

Reaction score
Whatchu talking about? My pro series has a floyd 1000 series. I'm of the opinion though that the difference in quality between that an the special is slim though. They both have hardened steel base plates and locking nuts. The trem arms fit poorly on both. The only real difference is the saddles, which you can replace with OFR ones on the special if you ever crack one.

Aside from that, agreed. I've played tons of MIJ and USA-made guitars that are lemons from multiple manufacturers. MIJ stuff has a reputation because factories there had been around for a long time and had worked out the kinks in production, but they still turned out sub par instruments from time to time. The longer production is elsewhere the better it will get.

I've played great feeling guitars from Indonesia, India, China, etc.

im not bashing on quality much either. i mean i played a Japanese strat and i was bent on buying it when i was a noob 4 years ago.

i have 2 guitars that are MIJ my rg550 from 89' and my jackson from 09.

both very far apart tonality wise but both play great.

the reason i brought this to a debate was because im looking to buy a 7string with a maple fretboard and that is a hard thing to find when you want one that comes stock with Passive Pickups.....

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
im not bashing on quality much either. i mean i played a Japanese strat and i was bent on buying it when i was a noob 4 years ago.

i have 2 guitars that are MIJ my rg550 from 89' and my jackson from 09.

both very far apart tonality wise but both play great.

the reason i brought this to a debate was because im looking to buy a 7string with a maple fretboard and that is a hard thing to find when you want one that comes stock with Passive Pickups.....

I hear you there. It's getting better, but it's still hard to find what you're looking for these days. Hopefully all these companies get with the program! Then again, we're a small subset of the guitar-buying population here at SS.org.

Muramasa

Sloppy Shogun
Reaction score
I'm a new owner of a Pro Series MiM Jackson DK2MQ.
Original Floyd.
Alder Body.
Stock Seymour Duncan pickups.
Maple fretboard and neck.

I think the quality is phenomenal for a non-USA guitar.
My buddy has a MiJ Dinky and it has a Floyd Rose Special and PRS/Tele pickups.
I honestly prefer mine to his, although I may be biased because of the obvious jump in materials.

New Pro Series Jacksons aren't bad at all.

')