Jackson SL1 What Pickups to get?

• Thread starter j0eyaces
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

j0eyaces

Reaction score
Sup everyone. I was looking to get some new pups for my brothers Jackson.

Its a 2000 or a 2001 SL1 H-S-S

I believe its an Alder body or Mahogany according to what I could dig up on it.

Hes into metal big time loves a ton of gain for soloing.. As of right now he only plays in his home studio so I was thinking a nice set of pickups for recording would be a nice xmas present.

Currently has the stock ones in, was thinking of getting some new SD to put in it for him or some BKP.

Either way does anyone have any suggestions on this one?

Probably going to end up with SD in the end but a few options would be nice.

Thanks guys

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
SL1 will be an alder body, with maple neck through. Stock pickup in the bridge is a JB. do you know what he's not happy with about the sound currently? A lot of people like the JB, though I'm not one of them. I much prefer the SD TB-5 Custom, or TB-6 Distortion. I have an SL2H (same guitar except with dual humbuckers) and I like the SD Custom.

Scott Olson

Reaction score
I'd put some Black Winters and Hot Rails in the middle and neck, lots of clarity in the bridge and expanded midrange and sustain in the middle and neck. Either that or go with Cool Rails middle and Vintage Rails for versatility. if he likes a bit more versatility.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Metal and soloing you say?

Dimarzio D-Activator bridge, Air Norton S neck, and a Fast Track 1 or Cruiser in the middle.

fortisursus

Reaction score
If he likes the general voicing of the JB, but wants something with a tighter bass and a bit higher output definitely look into the SD Distortion. I personally like the hot rails in the neck. For singles too they are pretty high output, but that way they don't feel as though something is lacking when you switch between the bridge to mid/neck.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I love the ceramic warpig in alder/maple neckthroughs. For the neck and middle I would go trilogy suite.

j0eyaces

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. May end up going with the Black Winter, it seems best for what he is doing for the bridge. Not sure on the two Singles yet. May keep the stock ones. They do sound great for cleans already.

Colossal Incantation

Reaction score
+1 for the Black Winter and 2 x Hot Rails.
The YJM singles are also killer if he wants to mix in a more traditional Strat sound with the BW bridge.

Latest posts

')