Jackson SLAT3-7 prices are increasing as we speak

• Thread starter troyguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Inazone

Reaction score
Ibanez: ~$800+

Really? I don't understand how they're selling Indonesian or Chinese guitars for almost that much then, unless people really don't care anymore. Not that they can't be decent guitars - my Indo RG7321 is nice after a pickup swap - but that was $200 at a pawn shop.

eaeolian said:
That said, Jackson's going to have a hard time competing with Korean LTDs and Schecters at that price point.

Jackson really needs to figure out a way to improve the quality of their non-MIJ imports and find some middle ground with pricing, because Japanese labor costs aren't going to go back down. Maybe it's time for them to revisit Korean production.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jackson really needs to figure out a way to improve the quality of their non-MIJ imports and find some middle ground with pricing, because Japanese labor costs aren't going to go back down. Maybe it's time for them to revisit Korean production.

Honestly, given that FMIC owns them, I have NO idea why there's no MexiJacksons yet. I guess that's one of those business moves that makes too much sense. :lol:

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was just putting out the overall prices for MIJ guitars, I didn't make it 7-string specific, or specific at all really. Just answered the basic question. :lol:

Yeah, but the price we're giving is on the 7 string - you can get a DK2M, for instance, at about the $800 price point. The ones that are really pushing it are the neck-thrus, which sit at around $1500.

The problem, of course, is that no one compares the Pro Series Jacksons to ESPs - they compare them to LTDs and Schecters, and Jackson's getting their ass kicked on price at that level...

Dru_WaXaW

Reaction score
I wouldn't considering a Jackson 7-string unless they released it with the Superlight Weight Soloist body style and headstock (personal preference). The current headstock I'm going to have to agree with Alexander up there. It's like the state of Florida hanging off the neck.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Yeah, but the price we're giving is on the 7 string - you can get a DK2M, for instance, at about the $800 price point. The ones that are really pushing it are the neck-thrus, which sit at around $1500.

The problem, of course, is that no one compares the Pro Series Jacksons to ESPs - they compare them to LTDs and Schecters, and Jackson's getting their ass kicked on price at that level...

It's true that the neck-thru MIJ Jacksons are cheap if you compare them to similar products from ESP and Ibanez. They're all $2k minimum as far as I know if you can even get them in the USA.

I didn't mean to imply that Jackson's prices are high compared to other companies - they are actually low in that sense. The problem is that prices are high across the board and have really gone nuts over the past 5-10 years. We're talking about a bare minimum 50% increase (closer to 100% in many cases) across all of the big companies in the last decade - well above the rate of inflation in this economy.

The example I like to use for ss.org is the Ibanez RG1527. It was $599 in 2003 or 2004. Nothing about it has changed since then except that the price doubled. WTF? There is a used purple one in the classifieds with an asking price which is more than the guitar cost new - and the seller is not being unreasonable!

In Jackson's case, a solid color SL2H at the time was $1299 and just this week they went from $1799 up to their current $1999.

Guitars are now seeming like they might actually be good investments, which seems ridiculous to me.

xDarkCrisisx

Reaction score
Ever since fender bought Jackson they've been barely giving them any leg room, I was at a clinic and got to speak to some jackson employees and they have so many ideas about creating more mid ranged guitars, but are not getting the support they need.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't considering a Jackson 7-string unless they released it with the Superlight Weight Soloist body style and headstock (personal preference). The current headstock I'm going to have to agree with Alexander up there. It's like the state of Florida hanging off the neck.

Well, it's not THAT big, but it's bigger than it could be. :lol:

I could do without the SLSMG body - the standard Soloist is just fine - but, yeah, the SLS7 headstock is nice. ;)

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
This thread makes me happy to know that I got my RR for half price almost brand new.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
All of the nicer MIJ Jacksons I've played are pretty sweet. While I haven't played the SLAT7 specifically, the COW7 models my bandmate uses (silverburst, black) were fantastic after upgrading the tuners/pickups. I also liked the RR24 model.

The cost of doing business in Japan is much higher, so I agree it's not fair they be compared (price-wise) to Schecters or LTDs. They should be compared more to Ibanez Prestiges and the like.

Uh, the roughly equivalent 7 string from ESP was $1999 before NAMM.

If you're referring to the ESP Horizon NT-7 (the one that is neck-thru, alder wings, ebony board, fully bound, locking tuners, black, etc), that is actually $1729 not $1999. The only MIJ ESP production 7s I know of besides the Horizon is the the Viper 7 at $1599 and then the Stephen Carpenter model for well over $3000 (ouch!)

The SLAT-7 actually reminds me of the new LTD H-1007FR model if anything. Though, of course the SLAT is MIJ.

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're referring to the ESP Horizon NT-7 (the one that is neck-thru, alder wings, ebony board, fully bound, locking tuners, black, etc), that is actually $1729 not $1999. The only MIJ ESP production 7s I know of besides the Horizon is the the Viper 7 at $1599 and then the Stephen Carpenter model for well over $3000 (ouch!)

The SLAT-7 actually reminds me of the new LTD H-1007FR model if anything. Though, of course the SLAT is MIJ.

I stand corrected - although I think the original MAP right after the introduction was 1999, that's obviously not the current price.

I agree, the specs are closer to the H1007, but the labor cost is most of the price, no?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I stand corrected - although I think the original MAP right after the introduction was 1999, that's obviously not the current price.

I agree, the specs are closer to the H1007, but the labor cost is most of the price, no?

Yeah for sure. Jackson is justified in their price hikes. Costs are going up for most companies out there. Many vendors I work with have been forced to raise prices this year as well due to the rising cost of materials, labor, poor exchange rates, etc. A few like PRS and ESP were able to mostly stand pat this year, but they raised prices in previous years so it's not like they're immune.

When people groan about price hikes, they should really be groaning at the economy and not blame the companies themselves. I doubt some Dr. Claw dude at Fender was stroking his cat going "muahaha, we shall make the SLAT-7 less affordable this year!".

In my experience there's nothing manufacturers hate more than having to raise prices. It's bad news for everyone involved, including dealers like myself and customers. No one wants to have their products priced out of people's affordability range.

Then again, I am a hypocrite because I was one of the guys going "WTF" every time Ibanez would raise prices on the Universe or RG1527. I guess being on this side of things, I sort of understand it now. I don't think in 99% of cases its companies being greedy.

cronux

Reaction score
Well, here are my thoughts:

I really don't know who's "leading the pack" in jackson because they could make SO MUCH good 7 string guitars it's mind blowing (IMO :) )

SLAT3-7 is just wrong... it could have been so much better :wallbash:

It HAS to have a reversed headstock (like the COW 7 witch is the best and greatest headstock of all time - IMO :D )...but it doesn't and it looks like a donkey's di*k...only sharper... No inlays would be also a plus, these sharky shark inlays really, really turn me off the guitar :noplease:... I could live with the headstock, but NOT with the inlays... but that's me ;)

Also, why not make a King V 7 or a RR-7 with a thinner neck? Kelly 7 anyone? :scream:

I think that they would make a killing making those but at a reasonable price... 4 now we're stuck with a pricey and bad SLAT3-7 that looks unfinished -> like they put it out just because other guitar companies were getting better sales and they needed something out there on the market (IMO again :D)

troyguitar

Reaction score
Well, here are my thoughts:

I really don't know who's "leading the pack" in jackson because they could make SO MUCH good 7 string guitars it's mind blowing (IMO :) )

SLAT3-7 is just wrong... it could have been so much better :wallbash:

It HAS to have a reversed headstock (like the COW 7 witch is the best and greatest headstock of all time - IMO :D )...but it doesn't and it looks like a donkey's di*k...only sharper... No inlays would be also a plus, these sharky shark inlays really, really turn me off the guitar :noplease:... I could live with the headstock, but NOT with the inlays... but that's me ;)

Also, why not make a King V 7 or a RR-7 with a thinner neck? Kelly 7 anyone? :scream:

I think that they would make a killing making those but at a reasonable price... 4 now we're stuck with a pricey and bad SLAT3-7 that looks unfinished -> like they put it out just because other guitar companies were getting better sales and they needed something out there on the market (IMO again :D)

I disagree entirely.

SLAT3-7002.jpg

SLAT3-7004.jpg

The bound neck and pointy headstock with sharkfin inlays are what sets Jackson apart from the competition. The COW-7 was worth it at its original price of $599, it is a fucking rip off now. The thing takes less labor and materials than a DK2 yet costs almost twice as much, WTF?

eaeolian

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let's see: Putting out a non-Jackson would have been the solution to Jackson's 7 string problem? I can agree about the other shapes, but I wonder how many they'd sell? Probably not enough to justify the production cost.

Yeah, K. Anyway, they did put out what practically everyone asked for - although the 'stock is big, having played a guitar with the same one for a while, it's not THAT big. The sharks + binding is actually a selling point. My only issue is the blade switch and the EMGs, but those were both predictable.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Let's see: Putting out a non-Jackson would have been the solution to Jackson's 7 string problem? I can agree about the other shapes, but I wonder how many they'd sell? Probably not enough to justify the production cost.

Yeah, K. Anyway, they did put out what practically everyone asked for - although the 'stock is big, having played a guitar with the same one for a while, it's not THAT big. The sharks + binding is actually a selling point. My only issue is the blade switch and the EMGs, but those were both predictable.

:agreed:

I am impressed Jackson even put this out. Jackson I'm sure knows its market, and given who the typical Jackson fan is, it's nice they even have 7-string production models available. The only thing that kills me about the SLAT is the rosewood fingerboard, but that's just my opinion. You can't expect companies to please everyone. If they could, there wouldn't be competition.

cronux

Reaction score
The bound neck and pointy headstock with sharkfin inlays are what sets Jackson apart from the competition. The COW-7 was worth it at its original price of $599, it is a fucking rip off now. The thing takes less labor and materials than a DK2 yet costs almost twice as much, WTF?

i agree, but i never said that the COW 7 was better than the SLAT3-7. Every guitar player is somewhat different in terms of "guitar look"

4 me, the SLAT3-7 doesn't quite cut it... Some love the shark inlays, some don't -> the same applyes 4 the headstock. All in all, I would like to see more Jackson 7 strings...

Latest posts

')