Jackson Soloist/Dinky Paintjob question

Netherhound

Grandeur Of Delusions
Reaction score
Hey guys I got a quick question.

I got a white dinky/soloist body (I think from the Dk2m snow white model) and I am consistering get a paintjob done on it.

I would like to get a Ouroboros painted on it. My concern is that there's a gloss coating/finish on it and I am wondering how would I go about getting this image painted on?

Would I have the stripe everything off and start over, only the gloss or just buy a new body and work with that.

Also would anyone what the average price for this to get painted (or everything painted over it the case arises.)

And yes I do wanted it painted on. No decals :lol:

Here is my failworthy attempt at photoshopping of what the final product would look like.

Orobo6prototype.jpg

Thanks ahead of time :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
Most likely you would have to have the whole body stripped and then repainted with the graphic. Off the top of my head you could contact someone like Mike Learn who does alot of paintj obs for Jackson and inquire about it and the pricing.

Echo

Reaction score
It wouldn't have to be stripped all the way down to paint a graphic over the existing paint. The top layer of clear will be sanded down until it is no longer shiney, then you clean the body. The graphic will either be taped off and painted normally or because it is very small and detailed it might be easier to airbrush it. After the graphic is done the guitar will be re-clear coated, then you get to cut and buff the whole thing. Just so you have an idea I have about 20 hours worth of prep and paint work on my project guitar and it is just a single color paint job.

Netherhound

Grandeur Of Delusions
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys.

How would they remove the clear coat without ruining the white paint I'm wondering?

And would it be a ridiculously expensive to get the whole thing painted? I figured single color pricing wouldn't be too outlandish.

Echo

Reaction score
You just wetsand the top layer of clear coat with 1200 grit until the clear coat is dull and there are no shiney spots left. It wont mess up the base coat as long as you dont sand to much.

ihave27frets

Reaction score
Id stay away from wet sanding it, it could lead to problems. Id leave the prep work to who you have paint it, it wont really make a difference in price if they have to prep it or not really, and you could actually do more harm than good.

Is it bolt on or neck thru? How much you lookin to spend?

Netherhound

Grandeur Of Delusions
Reaction score
Bolt on and I am looking to spend hopefully no more than $300 for a quality job.

Netherhound

Grandeur Of Delusions
Reaction score
Thanks bro me too. I always loved Jacksons, white guitars and the Ouroboros symbol.

I would of made it a white with a black Giygas swirl but I think I'll save that for my 7 string build with different color schemes.

Netherhound

Grandeur Of Delusions
Reaction score
I thought about a vinyl decal for a bit but for some reason I have my heart set on having it painted on. I know its a lot more expensive but it's just how I feel about the symbol. You know?

But thanks for the suggestion.

Netherhound

Grandeur Of Delusions
Reaction score
Alright thanks! At least I got a sensible idea of what to exact price wise. I'm going to ask around and get some quotes.