Jackson soloist wiring ground question (3 way import switch)

• Thread starter BoltThrower666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BoltThrower666

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i all,

I just bought a Jackson Soloist and purchased SEYMOUR DUNCAN NAZGUL bridge pickup. I am new to soldering and, of course, this has been hell because of lack of documentation.

Specs:

• 1 volume knob
  • 1 tone control
  • 1 three way import switch
Every diagram on the internet shows that I should be wiring the green and bare wires to a pot. However, the new pickups only work if I rewire the ground cable to the same location the old ground was attached to... which is a certain spot on the 3 way switch.

Question: Am I supposed to be wiring the ground wire to the pot like everyone on the internet shows? This leaves a non-working pickup. I do something nobody else does, which is re-solder the ground wires to the spot the old ground wire (from old pickup) was, on the three way switch, and it magically works.

What am I doing wrong? I hear feedback if I crank the amp that only goes away when I touch the strings. I am paranoid I should have soldered the ground wire to the pot but then the new pickup doesn't work. It only works if I re-wire the bare/green ground to the same spot as the old pickups.

Below is a picture of the old pickup wiring. I didn't bother snapping a pic of the new pickups cause its the same thing accept the Nazgul has an additional bare wire, also soldered along with the green ground.

below - picture of my bizarre Jackson soloist with the old pickups.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mastapimp

Reaction score
If you are looking up the wiring diagrams from Seymour Duncan's website, the wirings apply to their pickups. Other brands of pickups might have different color assignments, so it can be complicated if you're mixing/matching.

Just looking at the picture, shouldn't the red and white be soldered together and insulated?

Do you know what brand of pickup you have in the neck?

Also, is the switch tele style? You may have to come up with your own wiring diagram since that's not your typical blade configuration. If you have an ohm meter, you can figure out the switching or match it to a known switching diagram online.

If you don't have access to these tools it might be easier to just take it to a tech or start over with a standard 3-way blade with split terminals so you can match things to a diagram from seymour duncan's support section of their website.