Jackson users, I need help!!!

guitarneeraj

WindMarp
Reaction score
I've had my Jackson Kelly KE3 for quite a while now, it's been my workhorse for almost 6 years. Today, while I was taking the guitar apart to do a refurb since it had gotten really grimy; I happened to notice that the bottom of the neck is clearly stamped II - 1 KVX10 .I had no clue as I've never dismantled the neck before and the stamp cannot be seen since it's on the part of the neck that fits in the bolt-on cavity :ugh:

Majorly bummed since the KVX10 neck specs are 1st fret: 0.775", 12th fret: 0.810" and the KE3 specs are supposed to be 1st fret: 0.720", 12th fret: 0.805" ! (Now I'm wondering whether that was why I've always had upper fret access trouble) :scream:

My dilemma is whether I should just get over it and keep this neck, or ask Jackson for a replacement (does it even make sense after SIX years especially since it is a Pro Series and made in Japan, AND the Japan factory is now closed down?????) The other roadblock with asking Jackson is that I'd bought it in India and although I have the original bill, I doubt the store was an "authorized" Jackson dealer??

Another question in my mind is about neck replacements, should I replace the neck with the "proper" KE3 neck and if so, where can I buy a spare neck (are the ones selling on eGay trustworthy??)

Any knowledgeable suggestions and/or advice will be most appreciated! Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarneeraj

WindMarp
Reaction score
Well...... shit. :wallbash:

So is it worth searching for a replacement KE3 neck then, or should I just sand it down and refinish with gunstock oil or something, so it's a bit thinner?

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
Fleebay usually has a few that are fine. I was getting my parts through bjboydent (Boyd's Guitar Warehouse).

But if your happy with the KVX neck, save some coin & bother & just keep that.

Sounds like they had some damaged goods & decided to salvage at least one salable guitar, definitely not an authorized retailer.

cromaticas

Reaction score
I don't think that small of a difference would fix your upper fret access problem...

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
I don't see why it's such a big deal. It's like with Ibanez... lots of people that purchased a RG7420 sometimes got 7620 necks, and vice versa. The factory probably did it for a reason -- they're virtually identical and these differences are all just in your head. :) Keep on shreddin dude.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
True. Don't freak over small spec differences. If it plays more or less the same then knowing it isn't really shouldn't matter.

Also, I'm one of the folks whose 7421 neck was stamped 7621.

guitarneeraj

WindMarp
Reaction score
I don't see why it's such a big deal. It's like with Ibanez... lots of people that purchased a RG7420 sometimes got 7620 necks, and vice versa. The factory probably did it for a reason -- they're virtually identical and these differences are all just in your head. :) Keep on shreddin dude.

Yeah that's what I thought too and considering it's sort of a "vintage" :cool: model now, I may not end up selling it which was kinda my primary reason for concern. Never hurts to ask questions though!

I like the neck pretty much and a refinish on a grimy neck would be almost clever, considering I work at a company that produces musical instruments :D

Thanks for the advice guys!

iRaiseTheDead

Ashes Of Rebirth
Reaction score
Fleebay usually has a few that are fine. I was getting my parts through bjboydent (Boyd's Guitar Warehouse).

But if your happy with the KVX neck, save some coin & bother & just keep that.

Sounds like they had some damaged goods & decided to salvage at least one salable guitar, definitely not an authorized retailer.

bjboy... sounds sketchy...

Reaction score
I say keep it the way it is. If you've had it for 6 years and not noticed any problems, that shouldn't make you like it less. And it's unique!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Yeah you're talking about 1/20" at the 1st and 1/200" at the 12th, not really cause for concern.

I'm intrigued to check the stamp on my KE3 now tbh.

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
did you actually take measurements of the neck you have or are you just assuming that its the same dimensions as a KVX10 neck because it is stamped as such. The reason I ask is they very well could have sanded that neck down and brought it into spec with what its supposed to be. This wouldnt be the first time nor will it be the last that a company decides to use leftover parts to fill orders instead of throwing away perfectly good parts. Ibanez is very well known for doing this very thing. Even if it is a KVX10 spec neck you could easily have it sanded down the any thickness you wanted granted that it be thinner than what it is now. I dont however feel that small of a difference will be very noticeable.

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
That's for the lifetime of the product being sold.

Really? thats not how the jackson warranty is written. It says the warranty is in effect for as long as the original purchaser owns the guitar. I dont see anything about the warranty being void after the product is discontinued. I do know that issues like certain parts like trems and whatnot get excluded if the part becomes obsolete but as long as this is an issue that doesnt require such parts I see no reason why they wouldnt cover it. Has there been issues with jackson not allowing warranty claims? I was kinda under the impression that a warranty was kinda like a contract and its gotta be pretty clear what they will and will not honor. Maybe I missed the part your referring to.

guitarneeraj

WindMarp
Reaction score
did you actually take measurements of the neck you have or are you just assuming that its the same dimensions as a KVX10 neck because it is stamped as such. The reason I ask is they very well could have sanded that neck down and brought it into spec with what its supposed to be. This wouldnt be the first time nor will it be the last that a company decides to use leftover parts to fill orders instead of throwing away perfectly good parts. Ibanez is very well known for doing this very thing. Even if it is a KVX10 spec neck you could easily have it sanded down the any thickness you wanted granted that it be thinner than what it is now. I dont however feel that small of a difference will be very noticeable.

I did take measurements of the neck, with vernier callipers even.. But as I said, it's not too difficult for me to sand it down thinner and refinish it.... To make things worse though, I noticed a hairline crack near the trem stud.. Goes straight through.. Think I'll need to get that fixed from a pro guy though.. Does this thread need pics now?? :scratch:

Really? thats not how the jackson warranty is written. It says the warranty is in effect for as long as the original purchaser owns the guitar. I dont see anything about the warranty being void after the product is discontinued. I do know that issues like certain parts like trems and whatnot get excluded if the part becomes obsolete but as long as this is an issue that doesnt require such parts I see no reason why they wouldnt cover it. Has there been issues with jackson not allowing warranty claims? I was kinda under the impression that a warranty was kinda like a contract and its gotta be pretty clear what they will and will not honor. Maybe I missed the part your referring to.

The plot thickens!!

Devotee

Reaction score
So for six years you never had a problem with the neck and now that you discovered that the neck is stamped KVX10, you suddenly want to replace it? I wouldn't really think much of it, i've read about plenty of similar cases as yours before. Jackson have always had oddball guitars with out of the ordinary features come out of production now and then. Kellys are notorious for bad upper fret access because of the narrow lower horn cutaway, the neck profile has nothing to do with it.