Jacksons JS 227-Yay or Nay?

• Thread starter SeVen77
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SeVen77

Reaction score
Hi,

Im new to the forum but not new to 7 strings. Ive been playing guitar for over 10 yrs, sevens for maybe 3 or more. :shred:...so Im no begginer to having 1 more string on my paddlestick.

Currently im seeking something with a 26.5" scale and Im on a really tight budget.

This Jackson JS 227 caught my eye, (that Axe headstock is just...THALL)
and its a 26.5".
Heard mostly good stuff about this renewed JS series, but I want to hear some opinions from people that have been playing 7s for a while.

How is the quality, playabilty? I know pickups are horrible but Id change them to some BKPs.

Thanks dudes,
Thall:evil:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

s4tch

Reaction score
My tech had some of them brought in by clients, and he says that they are nice considering the price. All of them needed a thorough setup, though: frets were sharp here and there, frets were not leveled, the truss rod had to be adjusted in all guitars, the nut had to be cut properly. Playability is very good after TLC, and as the bridge, the nut and tuners are all of acceptable quality, the guitar keeps tuning perfectly. Also, as they are so cheap, they sell pretty quick if you don't like the guitar. I'd say go for it, what can you lose at that price point.

SeVen77

Reaction score
Thanks man. Good to know. I was hoping that at least frets would be leveled. That unfortunately I cant do at home. But then again,...one guitar could be set up just right, and the other needs adjustment. Thats what Im kinda tryin to aim at also. The ratio of the amount of these Jacksons that need work when coming out of the store/production.

s4tch

Reaction score
You can't expect perfect setup on this price point. In Hungary, a professional setup costs around 25-30 euros, that's a price I'm always happy to pay for the best possible playability.

Rastamoneq

Reaction score
I always setup my guitars myself. I think it's the best way to make it fit my own needs and get to know with the instrument more. To the JS series, yeah, they are really playable and the only thing you'd have to do besides setting it up is swapping the pickups. The stock ones are really the low-shelf ones and it's really hard to make them sound in some areas (in my case, they're really, really muddy in the low end and the high end fades really fast). Still, a really good choice. Worth the price and the work/add-ons.

Cbutler

Reaction score
ive been heavily considering one of these to mod out the ass. love that headstock.

SeVen77

Reaction score
I always setup my guitars myself. I think it's the best way to make it fit my own needs and get to know with the instrument more. To the JS series, yeah, they are really playable and the only thing you'd have to do besides setting it up is swapping the pickups. The stock ones are really the low-shelf ones and it's really hard to make them sound in some areas (in my case, they're really, really muddy in the low end and the high end fades really fast). Still, a really good choice. Worth the price and the work/add-ons.

I set up my guitars myself also but if a guitar requires fret leveling then, its a job for a lutier. Dont have the tool. Do you the 227 model?

SeVen77

Reaction score
ive been heavily considering one of these to mod out the ass. love that headstock.

I think I'll do the same. Ive heard the pick ups, and theyre horrible...
The headstock IS brutaaaaaaaa:scream:aaaal

AgileButt

Reaction score
Jackson JS22-7 is yayyy alll dayyyyy

I've been playing an Ibanez RG7421 for a year now, and just picked up a Dinky 7 about a month ago, am absolutely in love with it. The 26.5" scale rules, the headstock rules, and it only cost me 175$ total. As other people have mentioned, you're definitely gonna need a setup, but this pretty much applies to every production model guitar. The stock pickups really aren't that bad; I actually like 'em quite a bit better than the stock 7421 pups, but obviously you're still gonna wanna replace them. I plan on installing a Pegasus/Liquifire set w/ a push-pull split-coil system soon. The neck is also oober comfortable.

ambler3

Reaction score
Give me a month and i'll be able to comment on it! Will be my first 7, and also first guitar with a hipshot style bridge. Looks like a steal for only £170!

AgileButt

Reaction score
Give me a month and i'll be able to comment on it! Will be my first 7, and also first guitar with a hipshot style bridge. Looks like a steal for only £170!

It surely will not disappoint. I got mine for less than 200$, and can't imagine a better first 7-string.

SeVen77

Reaction score
Thats the thing though. I know its a cheap 7 good for beginners but because Im financialy limited, I want to know if its worth investing in(pickups,bridge,electronics) I dont want a guitar that needs massive work done to play right after I buy it.

AgileButt

Reaction score
Thats the thing though. I know its a cheap 7 good for beginners but because Im financialy limited, I want to know if its worth investing in(pickups,bridge,electronics) I dont want a guitar that needs massive work done to play right after I buy it.

Don't let the price tag fool you. I've never owned a "nice" guitar, but my Jackson Dinky plays as well as any production Ibby RG model (under 500$) that I've tried. I've been playing the hell out of it, and have yet to have a single problem. I can't say the same for my RG tho, although I still love that guitar too. If I could go back, I would've just gotten the Dinky instead of 7421, but I was also hesitant due to it being so cheap.

SeVen77

Reaction score
Don't let the price tag fool you. I've never owned a "nice" guitar, but my Jackson Dinky plays as well as any production Ibby RG model (under 500$) that I've tried. I've been playing the hell out of it, and have yet to have a single problem. I can't say the same for my RG tho, although I still love that guitar too. If I could go back, I would've just gotten the Dinky instead of 7421, but I was also hesitant due to it being so cheap.

What Jackson are you talking about? A 6 string Dinky, or the Dinky JS 227/327Q ?

Reaction score
I see a lot of threads about modding this guitar, which I plan to do. But I have a question about replacing the tuning machines, I see a lot of people using hipshot locking tuners. I was just wondering exactly what set I would need. 4x3, 4x3 lefty? The headstock is 3x4 so I'm confused any help would be much appreciated!

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
OP, if you're still deciding, I can tell you I've had mine for about 4 months?, & even though I still can't quite come to grips with a 7, I am enjoying playing the tits off of her.

I was told to replace the p'ups but I'm really loving the stock ones, it has no tuning stability issues, the neck is super comfy as is the body & I everything else is rock solid to date.

I don't see you finding a better 7 at this price unless it's used.

PFlynn

Reaction score
I see a lot of threads about modding this guitar, which I plan to do. But I have a question about replacing the tuning machines, I see a lot of people using hipshot locking tuners. I was just wondering exactly what set I would need. 4x3, 4x3 lefty? The headstock is 3x4 so I'm confused any help would be much appreciated!

Finding a set has not proven successful for me. It looks like the easiest, albeit, not the cheapest option is the Schallers. I can't say that the Schallers fit right in 100%, but I have replaced these types before on another guitar I have. They went right in no problem. They appear to be the same mounting type as the Jackson, so this seems to be the route I'll take. I'm pretty confident they'll fit. It kind of sucks that they sell these individually, but at least you'll have the right 3 on 4 set up. You might be able to find them cheaper somewhere else, but this is the one I happened to know of off hand. Hope that helps.

Schaller Mini Locking Tuners

Also, OP, I bought this without even playing it first, and aside from a bit of a fret filing, this thing is wonderful. If you're looking for a guitar to mod, this is an awesome starting point.

Latest posts

')