Jahn fanned 8 build thread

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grif

H O W D Y
Reaction score
This man just screams professionalism.

Just when I thought Hollowway would have a custom build go off without a hitch, hah! Pondman will sooner stop building

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightroExpress

Guitar Nerd
Vendor
Reaction score
Dude, that's ridiculous. I really hope you guys can work everything out. It's a killer guitar, otherwise!

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
I've been emailing Dale all day while at work. Hes going to send me base plate material and Tom Dinkwater has sent me PME today that belonged to Andrew. I'll be CNC'ing the bridge AND neck bobbins as well as the baseplates for them (as well as the maple cores just to make it easier on Dale). The neck pup will have the poles removed, old wood removed and my new bobbins glued on (and I assume re-potted in parafin wax). The bridge will basically be done again from the ground up. Since I'm making the baseplate, I can already route for the new pickup while it's being made so the delay once I receive the new pickups will only be a day since all I'm doing is wiring it back into the circuit, doing a cleaning, a new photoshoot and then going to the post office.

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
We're getting close guys. I can send Dale his "care package" monday once the maple cores are milled. I used the PME Tom sent me, and it was just too dark and sand-y for the rest of the build. I luckily found a chunk of bubinga in my scrap box from this guitar, and offered the idea to Holloway at 330am. 12 Hours later, they were machined and milled. Hopefully since they don't offer as much contrast, they'll make the viewer pay more attention to the great ink lines on the ebony.

I have a photo somewhere between the new and old bridge bobbins. It looks like the old one was basically spaced for a 7 string........

12932805_10156778789765475_9122133776788710507_n.jpg

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I can't say enough about how awesome Julius has been through this. Dale is being super cool and redoing the pickups to get them just right. And Julius did a bunch of trial fits with wood options to see what looked the best. And, Tom (Oakland Axe Factory) was awesome for helping out by lopping off a piece of the PME board we have for a future build for Julius to use as a potential wood for the bobbins. I'm super excited now, cuz it's soooo close!

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
I know those aren't the finished pickup covers (right?) but is it just me or do those last frets look wonky?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, they're just rough trimmed and set on there. He did a couple of different woods and combos so I could get a look at what was best looking.

And I'm not sure about the frets. They're CNC'd, so I assume they're correct. Might be some optical illusions with the FB grain, the camera angle, etc?

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
The last frets do kind of look to be farther apart on the treble side than the bass side.

Killemall1983

Reaction score
Yeah, they're just rough trimmed and set on there. He did a couple of different woods and combos so I could get a look at what was best looking.

And I'm not sure about the frets. They're CNC'd, so I assume they're correct. Might be some optical illusions with the FB grain, the camera angle, etc?
ARe they CNCed? I didnt know he had access to that.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I thought so. He posts pictures of his CNC machine a lot on FB. Those pickup bobbin tops were on the CNC. I don't know exactly how he runs things, so I guess any of the stuff could be either-or.

geoffstgermaine

Reaction score
Whether CNC, cut with a jig or by hand, something looks out with the frets from about 18 and up. In particular 21 looks quite a bit out from where it should be. I went through all the neck photos to be sure it isn't somehow an illusion and it shows up in all of the photos, though isn't so noticeable when it's not a close shot of the area. I'd ask the question to find out about the issue.

Reaction score
What are your feelings about The Guitarmory now? I was contemplating ordering a (non-custom) set from them soon, but this thread and another thread on here have me a little bit wary of how long it will take to get them and if they will be correct.

I'm glad he's fixing your issue now, but it seems like it took a little coercion to get it made right. Maybe I should look elsewhere?

That guitar is looking quite beautiful :D

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, Dale (of The Guitarmory) is making the pickups again. He originally assumed I had the guitar for the past 6 months and then waited to discuss it until now. Once he saw that wasn't the case he said he'd be happy to remake them. He was a little slow to get them in the first place, but that may have had to do with the wood bobbins (not something he does routinely) and the fan. Julius CNC'd the bobbins and tops, and sent them off to him to wind them, so we're just waiting for those. I feel like he stepped up and is a good guy at this point, so I don't think you'd have to be particularly nervous. I'm chalking it up to a misunderstanding between us. I'm hoping to get them asap so I can get the guitar.

And for those wondering about the frets, I DM'd Julius and told him to come on in and talk about it. He's pretty precise about things so I don't think he'd settle for misaligned frets, so either it was off and he didn't catch it or it just looks off in the photos for some camera angulation reason. I can't guarantee it, but I'm pretty sure he has them CNCd, which would make it odd if they were off. I certainly don't want him to have a backlash if everything is fine, so I told him people were asking about it, so he can come in and talk about it here.

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
He's pretty precise about things so I don't think he'd settle for misaligned frets, so either it was off and he didn't catch it or it just looks off in the photos for some camera angulation reason.

It could definitely be a combination of the camera angle and the wood grain making it look off. Wouldn't be the first time.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Hey, guys, I know a number of you have PM'd be about the frets. I'm sure Julius will come in and give us an update. I just emailed him. If they are off, I'm confident that he'll figure out how it happened and put a new board on with the proper angulation. He's a pretty solid dude.

jandro

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry to say that frets 20 and on on the treble side are noticeably off.

I don't think Julius would have replace the board though, probably just remove the frets, fill the fret slots, resaw & refret.. the fret width should hopefully cover up the lines from the filled slots. (assuming you have no problem with this) Personally, I wouldn't mind.

That's a fantastic PME board, it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry to say that frets 20 and on on the treble side are noticeably off.

I don't think Julius would have replace the board though, probably just remove the frets, fill the fret slots, resaw & refret.. the fret width should hopefully cover up the lines from the filled slots. (assuming you have no problem with this) Personally, I wouldn't mind.

That's a fantastic PME board, it would be a shame to let it go to waste.

Yep, that's what he's going to do, actually. He said that he measured and 3 of them are out of proper position. When he did this FB (over a year ago) he didn't have the CNC yet, so he wasn't doing these on any sort of jig or guide or CNC. I asked him to measure them and he said that 3 of them (the 24th and I'm not sure which others) were off, so he is going to redo those exactly as you said. The frets should cover the old locations, but he'll fill the slots too.

')