Jahn fanned 8 build thread

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Thank eff you don't have to go with a new fb. That thing is way too beautiful. It's not even my guitar and I'd be shattered.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ikarus

Reaction score
Don't take this as an offense, but why does it take some internet guys to point out that issue? Shouldn't the builder see it, when he works on the fretboard?

Lemons

Reaction score
He definitely should have noticed it, especially since the guitar had been strung up at some stage. Imagine if a bunch of people never pointed it out and the guitar shipped out that way, the pickups are the least of this guitars problems.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
He definitely should have noticed it, especially since the guitar had been strung up at some stage. Imagine if a bunch of people never pointed it out and the guitar shipped out that way, the pickups are the least of this guitars problems.

Yeah, I think so. In his defense, he said he hasn't done the fretwork yet, and we've been mostly concerned with the pickup situation. So I assume he would have noticed it when he got to the point of doing the fretwork. I personally didn't notice it either, but once pointed out it seemed super obvious. At any rate, I'm glad he didn't give any push back and was apologetic and wanted to get it fixed. He was kind of embarrassed that he didn't catch that.

Killemall1983

Reaction score
He could at least respond to the thread. He had been responding up until something was brought up. It seems like he never publicly addresses anything when brought up.
Honestly, this is just a risk you take by going through an extremely young builder who has built less than 15 guitars. I get that mistakes happen, but you cant not notice frets being off, especially when you are fretting it.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, he said as much, too (about him being young, and not having done many guitars at the time he started mine).

Deegatron

Reaction score
Come on guy's. cut the Luthier some slack.
He likely pressed the frets in and set her aside waiting for the pickups before doing final fretwork / setup.
Poor guy missed it.
I don't care who you are. .... happens.. mistakes happen... it's how you fix your mistakes that makes the difference between being a stand up guy and a total douche.
he's rectifying the problem immediately upon it being pointed out.
Seems like he's doing a bang up job.

Where's the beef???

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I can understand the experienced guys in here saying something (and with class), but the armchair luthier crowd is a bit ridiculous.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
The fellers in here that have built guitars.

I'm not looking for/participating in an argument. Just commenting on everyone going ape.... and busting out the pitchforks.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
This is the armchair luthier section :scratch: :lol:

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Julius is a good dude. I'd be a bit weirded out if a new business venture didn't experience at least a couple minor hiccups in its first run.

I know I can't speak for all of us here, but I doubt that anyone is pointing out issues from a spiteful place. I feel like most of the responses are a community attempt to help out one of our own to see their venture go well.

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
My photo albums say that I slotted it March, 2015. I think we had paid dale that February for the pickups! I became an uncle before this guitar became electric :lol::lol:

Andrew and I already talked about all this, but since we're putting everything in the open and entertaining the armchair guys :wavey: here's the plan and background:

Last year, I was slotting and marking them by hand. Anyone who does it by hand will tell ya how slippery ebony is to slot without a rail system. A LOT has changed since then, which you'd see if you follow me on FB. Last year I was setting things up to Fender spec, this year I am setting them up to Mayonesse custom shop specs (Thanks to my local friend, Terran for letting me measure his build).

This year I slot a board in 6 minutes, instead of 80+. I CNC (Yes, I made one this winter and would have lost my mind if I didn't have it to do all my templates) the template (accurate to 0.01mm) , and use a sled system similar to Adam Bath's (Elysian) on my table saw to cut everything.

The 3 frets that were off were out by 0.5mm or so and I was simply going to crown them to one side to correct it IF they were out (using a tuner and basically doing a manual true temperament system). 24th was out by 1mm, which is where I suggested to pull and recut but we agreed to do all the affected ones.

[I have the book match of this board in my private stock, so I mean if things were horribly wrong we could do a replacement but that honestly is a bit extreme for this scenario]

--------------------------
For Louis' concern, I'm at build 24 next week and the price when Andrew ordered reflected my point in my career. Im sure Andrew knows what he's doing and we've been in touch constantly :)

@Deeg, thanks for the support. I guess I'll mention that the 2 days I spent doing all the pickup work were all pro-bono. I still have to make templates when they arrive, re-route, and re-wire the whole guitar before it leaves my door.

@jWade, I just heard from another luthier "You're only as good as the mistakes you fix" which I hope stands true here. I did notice this thread only got busy when the pickup drama started but what can ya do? :scratch:

For everyone who still believes in me, thank you very much and I dont intend to go anywhere besides up! If this fret issue irks you too much to consider any work from me, then I can only hope that you still follow my progression throughout the year and watch me grow and improve.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Man, I've been jumping in every time you or Hollowway update the thread, every time. I'm a big fan of this build, and it's unfortunate that you weren't seeing more traffic based solely on the fb/body lines!

Straight up though, I wish I could find an fb blank like this. So ridiculously visually satisfying!

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Straight up though, I wish I could find an fb blank like this. So ridiculously visually satisfying!

They're out there. ...
k3sxe55.jpg

jandro

Reaction score
To be quite fair, tolerances in the upper register are somewhat negligible - we are still dealing with guitars that are by nature of the beast: imperfect. As Julius said, compensating the fret crowns manually with a three corner file probably would have worked, but I think it's pretty rad to admit ones mistakes and take the time to make things right.

I remember a botched fret job I hand-slotted on my 9th build for an important customer.. Man, that sucked. I'm at #32 and thank god I've also acquired a CNC. I use .024" 3 flute 3.5mm DOC bits for fret slotting on the CNC. Takes about 25-30 mins to slot a board, but you can do some pretty rad blind frets and such.

Anyway, looking forward as to how this build turns out!!!

oracles

Reaction score
Come on guy's. cut the Luthier some slack

Nope. You can't run a custom shop business, make flaws like that and not notice. I'll go on record as saying I don't think Julius is a point yet where he can justifiably charge what he does for these guitars. He doesn't have the experience, and that's not something that should be gained at the customers expense. You don't get to cut your teeth on someone else's dime. Too many people have been burned by ....ty luthiers to "cut them some slack" anymore. BRJ, Sherman, Roter, Decibel, Invictus, Acacia, do we really need anymore?

Every build I have seen from Julius has had several flaws. Binding, frets, pickup routes, string alignment, to name a few. Paying customers have had to take their instruments in to a tech to be fixed, just so they can be played when the owner receives it. Blaming Dale for the pickups is also a blatant lie, nothing that happened with those pickups is Dale's fault at all.

Julius has had more than one experienced luthier approach him and offer help and advice, and Julius has been indignant and insinuated he knows better. Clearly, he doesn't.

I WANT to see Julius succeed at this, truly I do. I think he has potential, his designs are good, but he doesn't have the experience yet to be taking on custom orders and taking people's money like this.

Holloway, I really hope this works out for you and you get a quality instrument out of this. Unfortunately, I just don't see it happening.

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
Skeels, yours doesnt have enough elephants and sky whales (or boobs, if you're Pat Renk :lol:)
10891502_10155135433020475_5778048604276768208_n.jpg

Oracles, I'd like it if you could PM me with where you heard all this from, because I was never told by any of my clients that they had to take it to a tech or anything of the sort. Do you also know what I am charging? I don't remember ever giving you a quote request.

I sure hope you aren't aboard the bandwagon that thinks builds 7+8 were actually sold and not just pure prototypes for me to try out set necks and binding/wooden cavity plates. There seems to be a lot of misinformation out there spoken behind closed doors, and no one seems to actually fact check on these things.

I don't know if you're friends with Dale, but seeing as how Andrew was the one to relay most of the information in this thread (And talk to Dale via email) Im going to strongly disagree with you there. I know Dale said to some people that it was an issue with the dxf drawing, but that was just something from an export error and I had sent him a new one in 20 minutes. If he cut the baseplates, bobbins, and cores in that time then hell, why did we wait the other 7 months? I can show you photos from another builder who received an inadequate product from him, and required to also pull the "send them now or refund me" game to even get them in the mail. He (local builder) now has me CNC his plates and core/bobbins and winds them himself.

Killemall, am I being open enough for you?

Cheers lads. Im off to email Dale to see if we have any updates on the pickups redux.

')