Jahn fanned 8 build thread

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Wow, dude, there are a lot of damn good builders on here who would be willing to help you and a lot of accomplished artists and designers whose experience you could benefit from if you would just open up your eyes and shut your mouth and drop the snide attitude.

A little humility goes a long way here in the "armchair luthier" section - which you seem to visit when you haven't paid your dealer fees.

Also, since you appear to be in charge of what makes a cool piece of timber..

1PlJete.jpg

Space whale, in case you needed someone to point it out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Pretty esteemed company here in the "amateur" section. :wavey:

I dont think he meant it in an offensive manner, sarcasm doesn't work well online :(

damn that is some nice pale moon ebony though.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I don't know where the angry attitudes are coming from in this thread, it's surprising, and so unlike a few of you that normally conduct yourselves with quite a lot more civility. Kind of a letdown, really.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I think they're just being protective. I'm the ame way. I figure, these days, if you're a luthier you have to be aware of people who have previously posed as professional, legitimate guitar makers (Invictus, Brutalizer, BRJ, Decibel, Sherman, Roter, S7, Siggery, etc.), only to deliver either subpar products or disappear altogether. Unfortunately, there's just no way to know if giving someone the benefit of the doubt, or a second chance, or the opportunity to correct one's errors, etc., is a normal thing to do, or if it plays into the hands of someone who is (or is becoming) shady. I personally tend to give new luthiers my business because there are great savings and rapid turnarounds possible. I've been burned equally on new and experienced luthiers, so I figure why not. I got in on this run because I could get the guitar for just under $2,000, pickups included, and in just a few months. We're past the few months mark, but it's close now. And so far he's been upfront about what is going on. I'm definitely not thrilled about the frets situation, but he's been very apologetic and upfront about it, and is fixing them, so that makes me feel much better. I've had things on other guitars I've purchased that either were messed up and repaired (the Villex pups on my OAF 10 string were oriented in P formation, rather than reverse P, so I shipped it back to Tom, he remade pup covers on his own dime, had Villex remake pups, and then put everything back together and shipped it back to me. I was incredible customer service! And Shad Peters' entire shop burned down, and took my nearly complete guitar with it. He got no money from insurance for it, but is still remaking it for me, with no additional money needed from my end. Another example of awesome ethics and customer service.) and I've had mistakes that would have been an easy fix, but instead was given the run around with other companies (Gary Kramer guitars, among others). And I've had luthiers promise to fix mistakes they acknowledged, but never did. So for me, I don't mind other guys coming in and being picky and defending me, because I do the same for others, and we really need to stick together to make sure we don't get screwed. I personally looked at that guitar neck of mine dozens of times, and never once noticed the frets. But then someone posted in here, and I got LOADS of PMs and DMs about it. And I think that's awesome. Julius, like all others, is ultimately judged not just on the quality of the final product, but the communication, ethics, and willingness to build the best guitar possible. And in that sense, a mistake provides a opportunity to show potential customers, "Hey, don't worry, I got your back if there's anything amiss." Just tonight we talked on FB, and he said he's going to go back and check the measurements on frets 1-12. Previously he checked the higher ones, but we agreed that it can't hurt to check the whole thing over. Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input on this, both positive and negative, because we're really all in this together. The luthiers can't make a living if we get scared away. And if luthiers are scared to build for fear there will be no customers, then we get no custom guitars. Which, now that I say it out loud, would be good for my marriage and bank account, but, eh, what the hell. I still want more guitars. :lol:

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
That is well said, Holloway. You should be a moderator. And one day when I'm ready, you should buy one of my guitars. :)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
That is well said, Holloway. You should be a moderator. And one day when I'm ready, you should buy one of my guitars. :)

Yes, but I'm still voting that you name one of your models "Moon Jelly." Just think of it: You could have a really cool retro font, and your brand would be Moon Jelly, and your tag line would be "Spread it on your soul." That's gold, baby! And I'm only partly kidding! :lol:

MoonJelly

Reaction score
:lol:

I think I actually would build a limited run or one off called Moon Jelly--as tribute to the psychedelic movement. With SD whole lotta humbuckers, in a retro 60's-70's body style like the old Mosrites...

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Update: Dale (the Guitarmory) finished the remakes, so they're headed back to Julius. Then Julius will install them, and refret a few of the frets that are off-position. And then hopefully I'll have this guitar at last. The pups are now bubinga, since we couldn't find a good piece of PME to match the FB. Kind of a bummer, because that's the whole reason I went for custom pups. But Dale said he'd refund me some of the pickup cost, since it's been a year for them to be made, and a couple of snafus. The pickups were $284 which is not bad for custom pups, but I reeeeallly wanted PME. Oh well, maybe it'll be motivation for another build. :lol: The edges of the pups look a little rough, but I'm thinking Julius will smooth them when he gets them back.

MoonJelly

Reaction score
The edges of the pups look a little rough, but I'm thinking Julius will smooth them when he gets them back.

That was literally my first thought. If you bevel the edge with a fine file it should look ok. So disappointing :ugh:

downburst82

Reaction score
jeez...on the top right of the bridge pickup..:noplease:

It has certainly had a bit of a rough time but hopefully when it all comes together it has some special mojo and sings! :shred:

esp_eraser

Reaction score
Just thought I'd check in to see how this went, feel pretty dissapointed for you tbh Holloway.
I hope once it's finally complete you will be satisfied with how it sounds and plays :shred:
I guess on a positive you've had your Ormsby gtr to play on till now :yesway:

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
Im hoping that most of the roughness is just potting wax, but we'll have to go over it all when it arrives here. Someone on FB had asked me for the timeline of these things, so here's what I found out. Going off of date-created from my photos.

Apr 2015 - paid for
late November? 2015 - Arrived after no contact+reminders+many missed shipping dates
March 14 2016 - discovered they were made the wrong size
April 14 2016 - Replacements all made out of pocket (after Toms free PME, and grain not working + waiting for dale to mail me base plate material), mailed to Dale on the 14th
April 20 2016 - Dale received package, didnt't have enough magnets to wind
May 4 - Magnets received, ship in a 'few days'
May 17 - no contact, Andrew email'd and he said he'd ship next day
June 1 - First picture of redo (above), should be "shipping soon"
June 4th - still no word on tracking #

MoonJelly

Reaction score
Kudos Julius, I think it's plain you're doing everything you can to get the build completed. Hopefully Hollowway is happy with the finished product, and we all get to see the epic NGD post soon! :hbang:

downburst82

Reaction score
Did you ever receive the re-re-done pickups Julius?

Still love the shape and wood choices for this guitar and really interested in seeing it and hearing hollowway's thoughts when its finally done.

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
Thats a negative, Ghostrider
69590132-1f4a-11e5-_932910c.jpg

I just got a sponsored guitarmory post on my facebook feed. Looks like hes readying to take new order in July....if we don't have them by then I think we'll have to go pretty public with this story and let any new clients know of this. Its getting out of hand.

Hollowway, did he refund you yet?

WhiskeyPickleJake

Reaction score
Thanks for the excuse to start spending money on things made from "pale moon ebony". Beaut!

downburst82

Reaction score
Thats a negative, Ghostrider
69590132-1f4a-11e5-_932910c.jpg

I just got a sponsored guitarmory post on my facebook feed. Looks like hes readying to take new order in July....if we don't have them by then I think we'll have to go pretty public with this story and let any new clients know of this. Its getting out of hand.

Hollowway, did he refund you yet?

:noplease:

Hopefully he comes through eventually...

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, he emailed me on the 13th and said they were already en route. Maybe they're just held up in the mail.

And he hasn't refunded anything yet, but said he was going to do a partial refund based on the time this whole thing has taken. Which is cool, because I reeeeally wanted the PME pickups for this. It's the whole reason I went with customs.

I have an idea for something to do with the PME's that I cannot use for this based on spacing though, so at least those won't go to waste. I've always had this idea of doing an overly fanned neck pup to get crisper tones in the bass side, so I'm thinking of putting the bridge pup in the neck position and the neck pup in the bridge position of a straight fret 8 string. I have this old project 8 string I bought off a guy online that I've never done anything with, so I'll use that. Who knows, it could be cool!

')