Jahn fanned 8 build thread

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
Milling some templates this weekend. They aren't perfect but they'll do. Looks like Dale bailed on the guitarmory and a new guy is winding/managing the thing.

you-ve-got-mail-gif-o.gif

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Update! Julius had time to work on the guitar in the last couple of days. I think the new pups look pretty good. Still a bummer that the PME didn't work. I have plans for the old PME pups, but they would have been awesome in this! Still, the matching bubinga looks good. On the phone photo you can see how short the bridge pup was, so I think it was a good call we made to redo them to the correct size.

Also, I know a couple of the frets still look wonky. Julius is going to remeasure them all, and reset any that aren't where they should be. At the time he did this one (last year) he didn't have a CNC for 100% accuracy. There will be a couple reset. Should have this guitar soon!!

Mattykoda

Reaction score
Nice Hollowway! Glad to see progress on this.

FYI I clicked the s**t out of the ghost version of the like button :yesway:

Grif

H O W D Y
Reaction score
Seriously I wish I could like this! (what is the reason for it being gone?)

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Fret update! So you'll remember that there were a few frets that were slightly off from their correct position. Due mostly to hand measuring and slotting, before Julius got the CNC. Anyway, the thought was that they could be differentially crowned to compensate for their position, but I was worried that they'd always appear wonky, so Julius said he could pull whichever frets were off, fill, and resaw and press in new ones. They're not off substantially, so the new placement will cover the old fill lines. And then it will be 100% correct in terms of placement. Anyway, here we are. The offending frets are out, and he's getting ready to put them back in.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Refretted! We decided to use medium jumbo on the higher frets to allow more finger space and a drop off for getting lower action.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Super close! They used a double bobbin for the pickups, so the neck pickup needs to be dropped a bit, so that's going to happen tomorrow, and then Julius wants to recess the bridge 1mm to give action adjustability a little more range. Otherwise, it's done! Still a bummer about the PME pickups getting messed up on Dale's first couple passes, but I think these actually look good, all things considered.

EarlWellington

Reaction score
Looks good now... however can't believe it has taken four months though since the pickup/fret issue to get sorted and there's still tweaks/issues being worked on

')