Jahn fanned 8 build thread

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

electriceye

Reaction score
Yep. That's what I mean - I'm going WAY overboard on spending in the past year or so. I've got 3 8 strings on order from Tom Drinkwater that I hope will be done soon. And my KxK 8 scale, which will be the most epic design known to mankind. But it's 4 years in the queue, and so I'm not holding my breath for that. Can't get a response from Rob, so I guess I'll just get it when I get it.
And the last one was a Shad Peters build, but his workspace burned down, and took everything with it. So it'll be a while before he can get back up and running.

I wasn't planning on getting in those run of JJ but I had already saved up some for a Vader 8. And I really dug his single cut design, so I figured the Vader can wait.

Whoa. Hold on. KxK has you on a FOUR YEAR HOLD for a custom axe? That's...f'ing absurd. Even Jackson won't make you wait that long. I sure hope you didn't give them a penny of your money for a deposit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Synesthesia

Reaction score
Rainbow Eucalyptus. Dunno much about it, someone just showed me that picture. If the wood is like that, goddamn.
It actually is like that. It's beautiful wood. Unfortunately the coloring only occurs on the outer bark layer. The rest looks pretty average. Meaning it'd be pretty much impossible to make anything instrument-esque out of it.... soo sad....

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
It actually is like that. It's beautiful wood. Unfortunately the coloring only occurs on the outer bark layer. The rest looks pretty average. Meaning it'd be pretty much impossible to make anything instrument-esque out of it.... soo sad....

Yeah thats what I was curious about, I figure it was just an outer layer situation. Maybe doing some kind of live edge guitar could work though!

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Whoa. Hold on. KxK has you on a FOUR YEAR HOLD for a custom axe? That's...f'ing absurd. Even Jackson won't make you wait that long. I sure hope you didn't give them a penny of your money for a deposit.

Yeah, it's definitely been a long time. It's actually been 5 years. Rob said there was no ETA for the run, but I really didn't think it would take too long. But, while I would reeeeaaaalllyyy like to see it soon, I'm primarily glad he didn't make off with my money, like has happened to me before. I've got a couple of builds in the queue with people, and for whatever reason as soon as I drop my name in the hat the build times for the group go way up. Knock on wood, I haven't been royally screwed in a few years, so I'm generally happy.

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score

(I obviously post this in jest. Holloway's been one of my nicest customers to date)

CaptainD00M

Lungsman
Reaction score
Guess you're playing folk rock on that thing huh :D

Just Kidding, clearly you will be playing Ethiopian influenced Trance Music :cool:

Sweet woods though and unique take on the tele

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Almost here! A couple of quick shots. Still some finalizing work to do, but this is the general idea. I can't wait!!

Bigfan

sixstringer
Reaction score
Is it just me, or are the lowest and highest strings way out of alignment with the pole pieces of the bridge pickup?

Beautiful build so far though.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, the pickups are just sitting in there now. Presumably they'll be in line when they're wired up and screwed in.

downburst82

Reaction score
I do hope it all comes together and winds up being an awesome guitar for you but a few things definitely look off or at least a little rough....

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
Is it just me, or are the lowest and highest strings way out of alignment with the pole pieces of the bridge pickup?

Beautiful build so far though.

Any builder will tell you no build is perfect, and unfortunately for this one it's the bridge pickup. I don't know how Dale (Guitarmory) managed, but the spacing is off by 7/16 (11mm) for the bridge bobbin. I sent him the CAD of the bridge/nut/last fret and he was supposed to connect the dots but something is off.

It's not an issue with the angle or position because all the poles follow the strings and the neck one turned out fine (all be it, also off by a few degrees of what I sent him). I'm slowly working towards a public statement about all this, since this is definitely the worst experience I've had with any "company" and can't recommend them anymore. :wallbash:

Ernesto

Reaction score
If you measure from the string to the upper edge of the pickup holes, the pockets aren't in line with the strings. It looks like your router jig shifted before cutting the bridge pickup pocket. I don't know if I'd go blaming the pickup builder. It looks like you could route the holes out a bit, line up the pickups, and make some nice trim rings out of that pale moon ebony.

Other than the minor alignment issue, absolutely stunning build and design! :bowdown:

XxJoshxX

Djentleman
Reaction score
If you measure from the string to the upper edge of the pickup holes, the pockets aren't in line with the strings. It looks like your router jig shifted before cutting the bridge pickup pocket. I don't know if I'd go blaming the pickup builder. It looks like you could route the holes out a bit, line up the pickups, and make some nice trim rings out of that pale moon ebony.

Other than the minor alignment issue, absolutely stunning build and design! :bowdown:

I'm not so sure, it looks to me that the pickup is centered and at the correct angle, it just looks like the spacing is extremely short. To me, it sounds like the pickup guy has mixed up more than a few details on this, which is a shame considering how well everything else turned out. In the end it's still a great looking build and I'm sure Holloway will be satisfied.

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
Yea, it might not be so obvious in the facebook photos considering you can't see 2-3 of the strings :p

I took this as soon as I strung it up. As you can see on the D string, the angle is correct, the spacing is not. My only idea is that he may have put in the spacing as a horizontal line (as it'd be a normal pickup) and not along the angle (which makes it a longer line.

qqKG3Sv.jpg

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure thrilled with the pickup issue. It took forever, and more than a few mistakes, and they're still wrong with the grain alignment.

Julius, is the magnetic field enough to pick up the string noise? Let me know if we need to have Dale redo them, or if they sound ok.

')