James Hetfield Signature EMGs

• Thread starter Sofos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalmatt420

Reaction score
lol

Attachments

• gimme-fue-gimme-fai-big.jpg
    gimme-fue-gimme-fai-big.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 74

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Well I was a fan until i got a high-gain amp (powerball). Having huge output pickups combined with an insane amp is just overkill. I've been going lower and lower output ever since, because i want to have the exact dynamics that the guitar does when unplugged. I'm not spending 3k+ on a guitar to hear some 100 dollar pickups, I want to hear the wood.

Sorry, I did it again. I told myself i wasn't going to do this.

Lol I understand completely, I just found the way you word it funny.

Interesting that you have an aversion to active pickups and not a Powerball.

Ryan-ZenGtr-

Reaction score
Back to the pickups; Finally, a traditional look pickup from EMG, for all those discerning players of "Adult" guitars who want "a screaming teenager" in the bridge position...

I think thats stretching a simile, but you guys understand.

Nice to see the passion Metallica stir up these days. And they USED to be good.... Oh, well...

Kabstract

Flamenco is cool
Reaction score
Could be good, or more of the same, but I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon calling them "81/60 with a cover slapped on." without hearing some demos, or trying them myself.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I watched the video on the EMG website. What I took away from it is that they are more of an 81x and 60x with adjustable poles. He(James) talks about the new models bridging the gap between the best of active and passive tone qualities, which is the same thing they say about the EMGX series, and to a lesser degree, the regular 81s running at 18v. I personally dig the regulars at 9v for that legendary emg compression.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Wish they had 707s with those covers.

sell2792

Reaction score
So some of you guys are bitching about a product that you won't ever buy (or even try) and saying that fans who buy metallica stuff it are idiots even though they are passionate about the band no matter how much they've changed over the years? :lol:

Did the band or the product do anything to you that has caused your panties to tighten up?

I use EMGs and think they are mediocore at best, with regards to the fact that the new X's are miles ahead of the old ones. Regardless and therefore I reserve the right to informatively say I will not buy the exact same thing that looks worse, costs more, and is being used as a marketing ploy to convice 14 year old metalhead guitar players that buying these will make them sound like a washed up alcoholic did 20 years ago with gear he didn't even use. /rant

They'll sound almost (probably) the exact same as a regular 81 or 60, and cost more. If the pole pieces are adjustable thats cool I guess, but they should just make this a cover thats available for any 81, 85, 60,... for the same price as chromes insted of labeling it some silly artist set.
I'm sure to some people they look awesome, and they can in certain guitars. I just don't get why they have a Kerry King, Zakk Wylde,... sets when they are just normal sets that cost more. The only difference with this set being the covers.

Kabstract

Flamenco is cool
Reaction score
They have been designing them since 2009, so there must be noticeable differences in tone. Still, $230 is a lot considering I could get 2 Dimarzios for $140.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
I just don't get why they have a Kerry King, Zakk Wylde,... sets when they are just normal sets that cost more.
Kerry King set is a lot cheaper than the sum of the parts because it has the PA2 with it. And the Zakk set is only as expensive as the two pickups individually (though you might get less redundant hardware).

ghostred7

Banned
Reaction score
Kerry King set is a lot cheaper than the sum of the parts because it has the PA2 with it. And the Zakk set is only as expensive as the two pickups individually (though you might get less redundant hardware).

And solder-less for we electronically lazy (i can, just don't wanna LOL). In either case, I like the look for what they are....EMG haters are gonna hate, but at the end of the day even your favorite pickups will sound like ass through a poor amp.....period.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
They have been designing them since 2009, so there must be noticeable differences in tone. Still, $230 is a lot considering I could get 2 Dimarzios for $140.

Pretty crazy to make a production, non-custom product cost the same, if not more than fully custom, handmade products like Bare Knuckle. That makes... NO sense.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
So they did the same thing they did w/ the 81/85... They called that a Zakk Wylde set as if the pups didn't exist before him. You know why? Because there are plenty of ppl out there who didn't give a rat's ass about said pickups until someone they recognized endorsed them. :lol:

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
Well, regardless how you look at it, brand name recognition creates sales. It's as simple as that.

Dan

Reaction score
End of the day bitch what you want, EMG and Hetfield make a shit ton more money than you and millions of people wear metallica tees. Sure they have gotten on a bit and their music isnt as good 'as it used to be', but IMO i don't really dig metallica at all and their older stuff bores me to hell; but i can apreciate that they have influenced and inspired countless others.

On to the ACTUAL topic at hand. I would certainly give these a go. I think they look better than standard EMG's and it cant help to give them a bash, if they do sound fuller with the pole pieces then i'd get on board with this!

Kabstract

Flamenco is cool
Reaction score
Pretty crazy to make a production, non-custom product cost the same, if not more than fully custom, handmade products like Bare Knuckle. That makes... NO sense.

Yeah, you're right. Still, I wouldn't mind trying them out. Perhaps their price will drop should not many people buy them? :ugh:

Ironbird

Kahler Abuser
Reaction score
Hmm, the 'tallica bashing was expected, but I'm too old to participate in that shit so let me just talk about the pickups:

I think we need proper sound samples, at least, to make any decisions. EMG and teh jaymz have been trying hard to let people know that these aren't repackaged 81s and 60s, so it might be a totally different sounding set altogether.

They sure look cool as hell, though. :yesway:

johnythehero

The kid
Reaction score
except for the fact that idk the bkp cost that much for ONE while thats a set :fawk: besides some people like the compression from them I personally don't really mind it as my amp isn't "good" enough to matter being a crate :rolleyes: but back on topic I think they actually look pretty awesome especiall for people who like the classy pickup look but likes higher output.

Latest posts

')