Jamming to Slayer.

• Thread starter Handbanana
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Handbanana

Reaction score
Decided to kick it somewhat old school tonight and jam out to some Slayer tracks. Does anybody actually learn the solos? Or am I the only one that finds their solos pointless? I dont think I even have an interest in learning any of em and I've been a diehard Slayer fan for as long as I can remember.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can't say I have much desire myself. I know I've learned some over the years, gotta love high school cover bands. :lol:

I love me some Slayer and all, but it's all about the riffs to me. If I want to cop some solos I'll hit up something else.

Wretched

Reaction score
Nah, learned South of Heaven a couple nights ago and didn't bother. Actually, being more of a rhythm guy, I often don't bother, regardless of which band it is.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I love me some Slayer and all, but it's all about the riffs to me. If I want to cop some solos I'll hit up something else.

I'm pretty much the same. A lot of Slayer solos are usually just trem wankery (go figure :lol:), which while I was influenced by, but wouldn't exactly learn them note for note.

You do get bulletproof rhythm chops if you can play Reign In Blood from start to finish though.

EDIT: If you want thrash with melodic solos, just jam to Testament or Poland/Friedman era Megadeth.

Handbanana

Reaction score
I agree for the most part its just fretboard gibberish. I wonder if they even remember half of their solos?

Shredin0id

I Need an 8-String
Reaction score
I just want to say that Slayer is not a band that would get the praise of "Melodic Solo's" Hell yeah they're tricky but god they're not even close when it comes to a melodic solo.

Melodic solo below:

(I'm fine if you don't like the band, just my two cents)

Goro923

Spanish Thrasher
Reaction score
I wonder if they even remember half of their solos?

When I saw them live a year and a half ago Kerry nailed every solo note for note. They played the entire Seasons in the Abyss, and it sounded very accurate. That is, except for Jeff Hanneman. He just played whatever the hell he felt like, NEVER moving his damn wrist :wallbash: So yeah, half the solos were spot-on.

And I know it might seem "elitist" of me or whatever, but I like hearing solos played the same as on the album, even if they're random in to start with. :shred:

Ill-Gotten James

Reaction score
Dead Skin Mask has cool guitar solos that I learned once upon a time and is one of their songs that has more melodic solo noting. I do agree with you though, it's tough try to learn Slayer solos since they kind of seem all over the place, but they are fun to play. I will never get tired of listening to Slayer.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I never bothered with learning them. I just make up my own and see what fits since almost everything is the same progression.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
When I saw them live a year and a half ago Kerry nailed every solo note for note. They played the entire Seasons in the Abyss, and it sounded very accurate. That is, except for Jeff Hanneman. He just played whatever the hell he felt like, NEVER moving his damn wrist :wallbash: So yeah, half the solos were spot-on.

And I know it might seem "elitist" of me or whatever, but I like hearing solos played the same as on the album, even if they're random in to start with. :shred:

:agreed: I had the pleasure of sitting right behind/over the FOH crew for the 1991 Clash of the Titans Tour date at Tinley Park IL..

I was there to see them and we were lucky because they got the sound check that show (played first of the main bands) after Alice In Chains.

Everything was spot-on, even the feedback was sounding exactly like on the albums. Tremendous tone from my seat anyways. :metal:

asmegin_slayer

cali-cornia bluffer
Reaction score
The point of slayer solos is basically be as chaotic as possible but have a hinch of knowing what the fuck is going on.

They have a bunch of great solos from the Seasons album
My personal favorite being seasons in the abyss.

4 minute mark

Spirit in Black
1:46 and 3:14-3:45 (pretty cool harmony solo too at the end)

But they also have some chaotic stuff that you just can't hear it played any other way after listening to them

Silent Scream

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
:agreed: to everyone rating Seasons In The Abyss. It's my favorite Slayer album, along with Reign In Blood of course... actually maybe even more so.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Slayer are one of the best metal bands ever. They have rarely done anything "duff" and produced some bonafide classics.

The fact that their solos do not get enough recognition irks me. Slayer solos are absolutely perfect for their music and as mentioned above, King (and to a lesser extent JH) can nail these solos live. You only have to listen to the records (GHUS, WPB I believe) where Kerry King says he purposefully sat done and tried to improve his technique for recording solos to get proof of this - they just are not as good!

I see Slayer solos more in the vein of free-jazz and extreme noise music, it's barely controlled chaos and meant to pummel you with speed, screechign and noise, pure genius. If you want melodic solos go somewhere else.

I think this is the 4th or 5th time I have written this post on this board :)

revlover

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere back in the day that the reason the solos on Seasons... stand out from most other Slayer solos is that Kerry took the music to his former guitar teacher to get some help with fitting scales and arrangements.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere back in the day that the reason the solos on Seasons... stand out from most other Slayer solos is that Kerry took the music to his former guitar teacher to get some help with fitting scales and arrangements.

I read the same thing...

One of the first solos I ever learned was the Seasons in the Abyss solo.

I think Jeff Hanneman is one of the few people i've seen get progressively worse over the years. There's a live video from the Seasons tour for Raining Blood/Black Magic and Jeff's picking style and playing seems to be WAY cleaner than what it is now.

Seeing them recently with (i think) Gary Holt in Hanneman's slot was a real eye opener. It was amazing to hear someone playing with Slayer that actually remembers how to play.

ronjhoser

Reaction score
Learning a Slayer solo is one thing. Attempting to analyze the harmonic context from which it was conceived would be an exercise in futility. That said, I fucking love Slayer. Always have, always will.

I Voyager

Reaction score
There is only one thing to be said:

FUCKING SLAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYEEERRRRRRAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

')