Jap Build RG Mod

• Thread starter VikingAxe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
NO! NNNNNNNNGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
That is a GREAT job right there.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VikingAxe

Reaction score
Haha, cool. Its close to being a guitar again, can't wait to finish it, set it up, and play :hbang:

VikingAxe

Reaction score
btw, bob...ask your local wood shops. they should have nice bookmatched veneers. i found some shop over the net out in oregon.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
btw, bob...ask your local wood shops. they should have nice bookmatched veneers. i found some shop over the net out in oregon.

Thanks man.

Im not really a "Veneer guy" so to speak, but that is one veneer that speaks to me ;)

looks terrific dude, very well done.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Wow, pretty damn impressive! How did you stain it? Just a single stain? It has a lot of depth, if so!

Sad to hear about the difficulty in using veneers. I've got a couple of older guitars I'd love to breathe new life into with a veneer. Maybe I should steer clear.

VikingAxe

Reaction score
Cool Holloway, glad you like it.

I had to stain it a few times with different colors before I found one that looked great. Veneers are tough for a few reasons...I'll give you some of my trials and tribulations.

1. When you have previous pickup routes under an applied veneer, you need to have very keen judgement, because you are going to have to cut them out with an Xacto knife. Using a router could spell a disaster, unless you use a jig, and lining up a jig with routes under your veneer is a shot in the dark. Make sure you apply PLENTY of glue around the pickup route edges, it can break away very easily while cutting it away with a razor.
2. Too much glue can squeeze out of the sides, wipe it away immediately. If it dries, you will have stark edges when you stain. Too little can lead to bubbling when you begin your staining process. Bubbling sucks, because when it dries, there is a risk of small cracks developing on your veneer. You need to find the balance.
3. Be ready to sand the edges to your desired contour. If you don't, once you apply the paint, there will be a small gap and it will look amateur. Sand your veneer flat with 320 grit, because...
4. If you use heavy sanding, you can burn through the veneer. Just make it flat. Any imperfections can be taken care of by sealing your wood.

Its not really a matter of not recommending it, its just having the knowledge of what can arise. You will need some tools as well. I had to teach myself all of this, so maybe what I conveyed to you could save you a few headaches. The end product looks awesome. Feel free to drop a PM if you need any help.

Lost of All Reason

I lyka to pleh
Reaction score
Y'know, it was the first time I ever did a veneer, and I gotta admit, I don't know if I would want to work with one again. Between the bubbling during the staining and the edges needing alot of reshaping, it was time consuming. Naturally, I think i'd rather get a 3rd party body with a maple top.

You say your not sure if you'd want to work with one again, but looking back, was it worth it? Had you gone into the project with the tips you shared in mind and the experience to be sure you did everything as proper as possible would you do it again despite the time consumption (assuming the new vaneer top was something you realllly greatly desired?)?

VikingAxe

Reaction score
Well, that is a good question. I know what exactly to do after this experience. I just don't know if I would want to go about it for aesthetic purposes (since a veneer isn't going to make the guitar sound any different). I would prefer to work with a real top next time. But if someone came into my shop with an old RG and requested a job like this, I might have to think about it.

assfreely

Chug-a-holic
Reaction score
Looks much different than when I sold it to DJ....Awesome job...

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
Looks spectacular dude. I love the two tone purple. How did you choose which tones would work the best? just trying on scrap? Also did you just apply a darker color, sand back and then the lighter color?

Advv

Reaction score
FUARK. That is nice dude!!! Can't wait to see the final product.

VikingAxe

Reaction score
I stepped away for a bit with this one...heres how it came out...hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• 059.jpg
    059.jpg
    760.5 KB · Views: 118

VikingAxe

Reaction score
@JStraitiff

I had to mix it until I liked it...a lot of test dyeing on scrap wood.
I sanded it numerous times, over darker stains, etc. That works best to bring out the flame

fastmerc

Reaction score
Thats a great job! Im putting a veneer on an old usrg right now...actually the veneer is on already, I put the first coats of sanding sealer on today. Here is a before and what she looks like before the sealer.
102_1863_zps4ab88e0d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
102_2518_zpsa28d84a2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Advv

Reaction score
Thanks for liking my post from 2012. Wouldn't have seen this thread again if you hadn't.

The final product is amazing!!

The USRG is really nice too!

Latest posts

')