Japanese Les Paul style guitars

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwguitar

Reaction score
I always wanted either a Yamaha Studio Lord or an original Aria Pro II PE Schon.
I imagine those PE Schon guitars are hard to come by. Aria still makes some wonderful PE guitars in Japan however, that model has long been discontinued.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I always wanted either a Yamaha Studio Lord or an original Aria Pro II PE Schon.
Ive seen a couple studio lords for sale at Pauls Boutique in Toronto, dont know much about them though.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score

jwguitar

Reaction score
Ive seen a couple studio lords for sale at Pauls Boutique in Toronto, dont know much about them though.
It’s been more than a decade that I have seen one of those guitars in person. They are somewhat rare in the US. Things might be different up in Canada. I have a MIJ Yamaha SG700 guitar. The SG guitars seem to be a bit more plentiful down here as I do see them every so often.

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
I used to have a 1980 something Burny Les Paul Custom that was like identical to the Les Paul Randy Rhoads played and it was really rad and played super good. I traded it for a SG though because I like SGs more. I also had a wine red Hohner Les Paul Custom clone from the 70s with a bolt on neck for a while. It was as good as the Burny and the neck was more thinner and more comfortable but it was like 11 pounds. All of the Edwards ones I've played have been really good too. The absolute best Les Paul I've ever played was some old 80s Greco that was the top of the line one at the time with a nitro finish. It was incredible.

jwguitar

Reaction score
I used to have a 1980 something Burny Les Paul Custom that was like identical to the Les Paul Randy Rhoads played and it was really rad and played super good. I traded it for a SG though because I like SGs more. I also had a wine red Hohner Les Paul Custom clone from the 70s with a bolt on neck for a while. It was as good as the Burny and the neck was more thinner and more comfortable but it was like 11 pounds. All of the Edwards ones I've played have been really good too. The absolute best Les Paul I've ever played was some old 80s Greco that was the top of the line one at the time with a nitro finish. It was incredible.
That was the guitar I wanted when I started playing because Randy Rhoads played a white Les Paul!!

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I’ve been spamming these all over the last couple of weeks so everyone probably saw them already, I got both of these a couple days apart after never wanting anything to do with a Les Paul. Not sure what happened, but I went from having zero interest to not touching my other guitars for the last 3 weeks because of these.

3565E0D8-3DFB-4143-8D41-CF228BE1A65B.jpeg

(Why does changing the size tilt the damn pictures? Did they change the upload file size limit? I uploaded this pic like 20x here without an issue before)

Changed the bridge pickup in the Orville to an Aldrich and it’s extra sexier now
98D1B942-AD32-4658-9B23-72578FA20B44.jpeg

And an 81/85 in the Edwards-
66EE4D34-4755-4B67-93BB-C8C12B897D85.jpeg

I doubt these will be my only two. For about a week I was considering flipping the Orville for another Edwards LPC because you can still find them new. I want to get a white one before people realize they aren’t being made anymore and the prices skyrocket.

oracles

Reaction score
Ibanez 2350. I've owned around 5 (black x2, red flame top, white x2) definitely my favourite of the Japanese LPs. The Orville stuff is fantastic as well. Played a few Burnys and Grecos I liked, the Tokai stuff always felt cheap to me.

soliloquy

Reaction score
in no particular order, the Japanese LPs that do exist are:

Navigator
Edwards
ESP Eclipse (Sort of? Not an actual LP. Just a single cut guitar)
Tokai
Burny
Greco
FGN (Fujigen)
Momose
Crews
Bacchus
Yamaha (of old? Dont think Yamaha makes LPs any more?)
Old ibanez (Now FGN?)
Epiphone Elitist (eventually turned unto FGN, i think?)
Orville (eventually turned into Epiphone Elitist)
Aria Pro

I think Navigators are considered the 'top tier' of guitars made in Japan.
where as Crews/Momose/Bacchus are made by the same group, and they each have various tiers that could potentially match Navigators?
Edwards, though may LOOK like LPs, they really dont feel like LPs. They are more lighter in weight; resonate more; and more articulate, but they aren't what a 'traditional LP' is supposed to feel like.
Tokai on the other hand not only feel, but sound like a Gibson. Some even come with nitro finishes.

I only have an Edwards, and its my favorite guitars of all time. Exactly what i seek in a guitar. Only way for it to be better is if they are fully nitro finishes. Mine poly, which i usually dont like, but on Edwards, it just clicks and makes sense.

EDIT: Given that it is not fully clear where Edwards are made, they may not have to be on this list. I think they are made in Japan because thats what i see on the back of the guitar.
Furthermore, in the event ANY of the info I posted above is inaccurate, someone please correct me!

Last edited:

jwguitar

Reaction score
View attachment 119997
Not the best pic, but these were my two faves. The Maxon Super 70s pickups these came with are really sick. Definitely should've kept the red one.
I had a 1976 Ibanez Johnny Smith L5 guitar. Like you with your Ibanez LP’s I definitely wish I had held onto that guitar. Definitely the one that got away!!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Edwards are made in Japan, they have been for years. The woodworking was done in China for a bit with all finish work and fretwork done in Japan, but that ended years ago.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Depending on how you want to classify them, Zemitis are also single cut type guitars that sort of resemble LP? Top quality stuff that is made in Japan.

And same goes for Gretsch Jet guitars. Single cuts but have their own unique thing going.

Latest posts

')