Japanese Les Paul style guitars

jwguitar

Reaction score
My Les Paul is a used Prestige.

58444293_2424862530891216_1497152980078559232_n.jpg
That guitar looks brand new to me! It’s amazing to see such a clean 45 year old guitar!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jwguitar

Reaction score
Edwards E-LP-130... the plan is to throw EMGs in it and drop tune a bit for some older Ozzy stuff... might get it bullseyed too
If it were me I’d leave it! I like everything stock. If you wanted to do a Zakk Wylde guitar I’d get one of those Odin Grails from Wylde audio. But that’s just me!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it were me I’d leave it! I like everything stock. If you wanted to do a Zakk Wylde guitar I’d get one of those Odin Grails from Wylde audio. But that’s just me!

The body shapes are pretty ugly except the mutant SG and they're not great guitars :lol: I know people that have owned them.

I think the only guitar I own that is completely stock is my PRS DGT... everything else has at minimum had locking tuners installed or the pickups swapped. Well, except the custom builds / parts builds, not sure what counts as stock on those.

jwguitar

Reaction score
The body shapes are pretty ugly except the mutant SG and they're not great guitars :lol: I know people that have owned them.

I think the only guitar I own that is completely stock is my PRS DGT... everything else has at minimum had locking tuners installed or the pickups swapped. Well, except the custom builds / parts builds, not sure what counts as stock on those.
I know what you mean those guitars are definitely not for everyone. Their shapes are definitely a bit polarizing. Either you like them or you don’t!

Breeding The Spawn

Reaction score
Greco's are awesome. I had this one that turned out to be a Korean model, but I can only imagine how good the Japanese ones are.

Attachments

• 20210115_105220.jpg
    20210115_105220.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 33

jwguitar

Reaction score
Greco's are awesome. I had this one that turned out to be a Korean model, but I can only imagine how good the Japanese ones are.
I didn’t realze that Greco made copies in Korea also. I always thought that they were exclusively a Japanese made brand. Either way your guitar is very cool!

jwguitar

Reaction score
The Epiphone Elitist guitars were the same as Orville and were made in either the FGN (Fujigen (solidbodies) or at the Terada Factory (hollow and semi-hollowbodies). However, FGN has nothing to do with Epiphone except building their guitars. Fujigen is similar to how Cort’s factory works. They make a lot of guitars for other brands but their in house brand is FGN.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I saw people hadn't made alot of videos on Yamaha Studio Lords so started trying them all.

SL-450s - which had a scalloped fretboard. Got it for about $180 and fixed it up Neck pickup had died and replaced with a Seymour Duncan '59. Trapezoid inlays, 1 piece mahogany neck
SL-500 - 3 piece maple neck in Vintage Sunburst probably the best neck I've ever seen on a Les Paul Trapezoid inlays
sl500.JPG

sl5002.JPG

SL-600 - another 3 piece neck and an amazing birdseye top Trapezoid inlays
sl6002.JPG

sl600.JPG

SL-700 - Vintage violin burst and amazing pickups. For sale on reverb.com, Rectangle inlays, Ebony board, 1 piece mahogany neck

Lord Player (LP get it?) is what they were called after 1983.
LP-800 Custom the pick of the litter, black, large headstock, abalone inlays, stock coil splits, long neck tenon, ebony board,

Here is a video of the restoration and specs of the Lord Player. It is my go to metal rhythm guitar. The pickups are not hot, like 6.6 kohm but absolutely rock. These are the Spinex pickups. Doing some mods on this one.

The finishes are super thick poly and i've wanted to get one to refinish. I have seen some beater models for 150-200 that i could strip off. The poly is done in two layers so these guitars are practically ding proof. Big D guitars used a Studio Lord to practice his Gibson finishes.

Tuners are rubbish especially after 40 years. D and G strings will fail first. Headstock angle isn't as extreme as gibson and the string pull is straighter but I always refurbish or replace the tuners.

They seem to copy the 70s era of Gibson. Super heavy but the necks are thin, the nuts are wide and all the hardware is Metric.

Why are you still reading? Go and buy one!

jwguitar

Reaction score
I saw people hadn't made alot of videos on Yamaha Studio Lords so started trying them all.

SL-450s - which had a scalloped fretboard. Got it for about $180 and fixed it up Neck pickup had died and replaced with a Seymour Duncan '59. Trapezoid inlays, 1 piece mahogany neck
SL-500 - 3 piece maple neck in Vintage Sunburst probably the best neck I've ever seen on a Les Paul Trapezoid inlays
View attachment 120121
View attachment 120122
SL-600 - another 3 piece neck and an amazing birdseye top Trapezoid inlays
View attachment 120123
View attachment 120124

SL-700 - Vintage violin burst and amazing pickups. For sale on reverb.com, Rectangle inlays, Ebony board, 1 piece mahogany neck

Lord Player (LP get it?) is what they were called after 1983.
LP-800 Custom the pick of the litter, black, large headstock, abalone inlays, stock coil splits, long neck tenon, ebony board,

Here is a video of the restoration and specs of the Lord Player. It is my go to metal rhythm guitar. The pickups are not hot, like 6.6 kohm but absolutely rock. These are the Spinex pickups. Doing some mods on this one.

The finishes are super thick poly and i've wanted to get one to refinish. I have seen some beater models for 150-200 that i could strip off. The poly is done in two layers so these guitars are practically ding proof. Big D guitars used a Studio Lord to practice his Gibson finishes.

Tuners are rubbish especially after 40 years. D and G strings will fail first. Headstock angle isn't as extreme as gibson and the string pull is straighter but I always refurbish or replace the tuners.

They seem to copy the 70s era of Gibson. Super heavy but the necks are thin, the nuts are wide and all the hardware is Metric.

Why are you still reading? Go and buy one!

Thank you for the video, pictures and explanation. That was very helpful. I love those old 3 piece maple necks. They all had a really nice feel to them and were rock solid.

Kwert

Reaction score
Ive seen a couple studio lords for sale at Pauls Boutique in Toronto, dont know much about them though.

Is it just me or is the fact that a Greco LP Custom went up for sale at Paul’s for like 1200 bucks a bit insane?

jwguitar

Reaction score
Is it just me or is the fact that a Greco LP Custom went up for sale at Paul’s for like 1200 bucks a bit insane?
I saw a pretty worn bolt on MIJ Electra LP earlier today on Reverb going for that price. That is far too high for a guitar like that. However, it doesn’t surprise me to see an actual set neck Greco LP going for $1200 USD. I don’t know how that translates into Canadian dollars.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
Seems to be the way these things are going. Set neck Burnys, Grecos, Tokais, and Arias used to be pretty plentiful and cost $500-800, give or take. Anything old & MIJ with a glued neck anymore seems to carry a 4-figure minimum. Orville and Ibanez models tend to be 10-25% more than most of the other brands, possibly due to notoriety or just reputation.

jwguitar

Reaction score
Seems to be the way these things are going. Set neck Burnys, Grecos, Tokais, and Arias used to be pretty plentiful and cost $500-800, give or take. Anything old & MIJ with a glued neck anymore seems to carry a 4-figure minimum. Orville and Ibanez models tend to be 10-25% more than most of the other brands, possibly due to notoriety or just reputation.

Yeah you are certainly paying for name just like anything else. Tokai and Aria are not as well known in the United States where as Ibanez, Yamaha, and Orville ( or Epiphone Elite) go for more money in general because they are much more well known brands. It really comes down to “what’s in a name.”

lost_horizon

Reaction score
I saw a pretty worn bolt on MIJ Electra LP earlier today on Reverb going for that price. That is far too high for a guitar like that. However, it doesn’t surprise me to see an actual set neck Greco LP going for $1200 USD. I don’t know how that translates into Canadian dollars.
I think it is much closer to what it should be. 40 years old, limited numbers (I doubt sincerely the numbers are as high as 1000 units of most), great construction. Just the pickups for some Greco's are going for $500.

The pickups in most MIJ are really good, especially the splittable ones. I've only ever had to change them out when I have had to do to failure. I even rewound one recently and made it 4 conductor and that was amazing.

in no particular order, the Japanese LPs that do exist are:

Navigator
Edwards
ESP Eclipse (Sort of? Not an actual LP. Just a single cut guitar)
Tokai
Burny
Greco
FGN (Fujigen)
Momose
Crews
Bacchus
Yamaha (of old? Dont think Yamaha makes LPs any more?)
Old ibanez (Now FGN?)
Epiphone Elitist (eventually turned unto FGN, i think?)
Orville (eventually turned into Epiphone Elitist)
Aria Pro

Suzuki? https://reverb.com/au/item/63769748...MIyvO-3NDe_AIVYJpmAh0DTAxfEAQYASABEgKu__D_BwE
Fresher? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1747391...MIsJ-C3M_e_AIV05lmAh1NngrVEAQYAiABEgIbqfD_BwE
Maya? (If anyone wants a left hand Maya Les Paul there is one in a shop near me for less than $500)
Roje https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1753510...MIvofl09De_AIVGJNmAh1BgQshEAYYAiABEgL9B_D_BwE

Latest posts

')