Japanese Les Paul style guitars

jwguitar

Reaction score
I think it is much closer to what it should be. 40 years old, limited numbers (I doubt sincerely the numbers are as high as 1000 units of most), great construction. Just the pickups for some Greco's are going for $500.

The pickups in most MIJ are really good, especially the splittable ones. I've only ever had to change them out when I have had to do to failure. I even rewound one recently and made it 4 conductor and that was amazing.

Suzuki? https://reverb.com/au/item/63769748...MIyvO-3NDe_AIVYJpmAh0DTAxfEAQYASABEgKu__D_BwE
Fresher? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1747391...MIsJ-C3M_e_AIV05lmAh1NngrVEAQYAiABEgIbqfD_BwE
Maya? (If anyone wants a left hand Maya Les Paul there is one in a shop near me for less than $500)
Roje https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1753510...MIvofl09De_AIVGJNmAh1BgQshEAYYAiABEgL9B_D_BwE
You might be right about the valuation on that Electra LP that I saw. Rarity does indeed bring prices up usually. Also, you are correct abou the MIJ pickups. I have a bunch of MIJ guitars and without exception their pickups have always been great.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Who the hell is paying $500 for greco pickups :lol:

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Anybody here played or owned any Fujigen Les Pauls? I just played this awhile ago. Pretty good. Maybe a notch above Edwards quality. It has mother of pearl inlays and this version doesnt have the current FGN pointy cutaway. It says frets are installed by Circle Fret System.

It sounds ok for the 15mins I had with it. Is $750 a good price for this one?

226E2ABA-7225-403A-A143-000E5E153990.jpeg
9935DCBA-9503-46C9-9A1B-7F2228123C65.jpeg
97A72A43-5934-4EF8-961B-3340ADF167D5.jpeg
B792A4B4-5078-450A-AD60-3DCEF3F757D6.jpeg

jwguitar

Reaction score
Spend 5 minutes on TheGearPage and you'll see guys spending twice that and more.
Ohhh I know! The “how much does this guitar weigh” crowd will pay anything (and usually return it) just to get that “right” tone. It’s the same mentality that if I buy Michael Jordan’s signature sneakers then I will too will now play basketball like Michael Jordan. I used to teach guitar for years from the beginner to the college level. I have encountered every type of student and/or guitar buyer out there. Dealing with the public is interesting. I really should write a book someday!

Last edited:

soliloquy

Reaction score
Anybody here played or owned any Fujigen Les Pauls? I just played this awhile ago. Pretty good. Maybe a notch above Edwards quality. It has mother of pearl inlays and this version doesnt have the current FGN pointy cutaway. It says frets are installed by Circle Fret System.

It sounds ok for the 15mins I had with it. Is $750 a good price for this one?

View attachment 120151View attachment 120152View attachment 120153View attachment 120154

Never played FGN, but I've heard great things about them. Though I've played Ibanez prestige, which are great, but not for me.

Though I do love my Edwards.

And FGN seems appealing to me, partly because of the truss rod cover.

jwguitar

Reaction score
Never played FGN, but I've heard great things about them. Though I've played Ibanez prestige, which are great, but not for me.

Though I do love my Edwards.

And FGN seems appealing to me, partly because of the truss rod cover.
You know it’s the small details like that for me why I like guitars. Whether it be a truss rod cover or large metal knobs (like Hagstrom or Gretsch have). Visually I think it really makes the guitar.

Concerto412

Aeternae Sonus
Reaction score
I haven’t played one of the FGN Paul models, but I had one of their J-Standard Strats from around 2010 that was among the best strats I’ve played. The CFS-spiel may or may not be a gimmick, but its effects are marginal if even detectable by the human ear. That said, the fretwork was fantastic, the neck-to-body fit was notch-tight, and the whole guitar felt well crafted.
Between that and the Fujigen-built Ibanez’ and Fenders I’ve had over the years, I feel pretty confident in the attention to detail they put into their guitars.

jwguitar

Reaction score
one of the FGN Paul models, but I had one of their J-Standard Strats from around 2010 that was among the best strats I’ve played. The CFS-spiel may or may not be a gimmick, but its effects are marginal if even dete
I agree. The CFS seems like it came from the same marketing team who thought up the "Buzz Feiten Tuning system." I think it is a marketing gimmick as well. Having said that, the fretwork, fit and finish on all the FGN guitars I have seen or played has been perfect. So they can call it whatever they want as long as it works!

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Spend 5 minutes on TheGearPage and you'll see guys spending twice that and more.

What is it about TGP dudes and boutique pafs? Are they just trying to dragon chase the most authentic sounding original pafs as they can? It seems like every aftermarket maker has at least one "good" paf so it seems kind of pointless to me..?

Last edited:

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
What is it about TGP dudes and boutique pafs? Are they just trying to dragon chase the most authentic sounding original pafs as they can? It seems like every aftermarket has at least one "good" paf so it seems kind of pointless to me..?
My guess is that they are trying to gain clout with Internet musicians. No one actually cares that the winder of your two thousand dollar pickup shares the same astrological sign as Jimi Hendrix or that the winding machine allegedly made a pickup that was in Gregg Allman's backup Stratocaster.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Some people are successful enough to not worry about spending $500 to try something out?
I think it’s partially that for sure (I know one such person) and partially the club of “check out what I got” at the higher end of the spectrum.

It’s not my money, go nuts :lol:.

jwguitar

Reaction score
What is it about TGP dudes and boutique pafs? Are they just trying to dragon chase the most authentic sounding original pafs as they can? It seems like every aftermarket maker has at least one "good" paf so it seems kind of pointless to me..?
When it comes down to it it’s really less about the equipment and more so about who is playing the guitar and their ability. The guitar and pickups will only have an effect on your tone if you are in total control of your playing. I think a lot of people tend to buy something like that because they think it’s going to magically improve their guitar playing.

Latest posts

')