Japanese Les Paul style guitars

jwguitar

Reaction score
yup most pickups I buy secondhand I usually make money on...đź‘€ even really expensive ones like Duncan Antiquities and BKP
That’s actually a good idea. I think that’s smart. Why pay more when you can get the same thing for less!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it’s partially that for sure (I know one such person) and partially the club of “check out what I got” at the higher end of the spectrum.

It’s not my money, go nuts :lol:.

I think there's less of the latter... most of the people I know that have massive money sunk into gear do it because it's fun for them. It's sort of funny watching some guys though, like you think a $500 set of pickups is nuts, go talk to some of the car guys :lol:

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I think there's less of the latter... most of the people I know that have massive money sunk into gear do it because it's fun for them. It's sort of funny watching some guys though, like you think a $500 set of pickups is nuts, go talk to some of the car guys :lol:

Cars are supposed to be expensive. Pickups are magnets and wire.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
You can go fast in a car (and potentially die) though. I just think things that are subjective like pickups have extreme diminishing returns but some guys will charge head-first into the slope I guess :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking golf myself :lol:

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
You can go fast in a car (and potentially die) though. I just think things that are subjective like pickups have extreme diminishing returns but some guys will charge head-first into the slope I guess :lol:

There are people on the car forum I post on that pay massive sums of money (think around $1k) for rare carbon fiber spark plug covers that look worse than the factory aluminum versions. Or titanium lug nuts. Or branded oil filler caps from some JDM parts company that hasn't built a functional racecar since the 90s.

People spend money on dumb shit that makes them happy. It could genuinely make them happy, or they could just enjoy flexing on other people in their corner of the world :lol:

jwguitar

Reaction score
There are people on the car forum I post on that pay massive sums of money (think around $1k) for rare carbon fiber spark plug covers that look worse than the factory aluminum versions. Or titanium lug nuts. Or branded oil filler caps from some JDM parts company that hasn't built a functional racecar since the 90s.

People spend money on dumb shit that makes them happy. It could genuinely make them happy, or they could just enjoy flexing on other people in their corner of the world :lol:

I like my cars stock and unmodified the same (most of the time anyway) as my guitars! The funny thing is I’ve always preferred American cars over the Japanese brands. The opposite is true for the guitars I play. I don’t think I even own an american guitar at this point. All my guitars are from Japan, Korea, Indonesia, or China (in the case of my Hagstroms).

Last edited:

BenjaminW

Reaction score
I played a 1984 Greco John Sykes model once a few months ago and it played/felt amazing. It was just a really heavy guitar.

I also love the Burny Les Pauls with the Floyd Rose and Fernandes Sustainer considering I’m a massive Neal Schon fan.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Current production Gibson LPs are really nice and not ungodly expensive, so it's sorta odd to see some of the older, less-historically accurate Japanese copies of the LP Standard creeping up in value.

Gibsons's historic reissues and Les Paul Customs, however, and reaching (IMHO) outrageous prices, so I can definitely see the pull of a Japanese copy with those features.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Anybody here played or owned any Fujigen Les Pauls? I just played this awhile ago. Pretty good. Maybe a notch above Edwards quality. It has mother of pearl inlays and this version doesnt have the current FGN pointy cutaway. It says frets are installed by Circle Fret System.

It sounds ok for the 15mins I had with it. Is $750 a good price for this one?

View attachment 120151View attachment 120152View attachment 120153View attachment 120154

If that thing is better quality than the Edwards I just got and only costs $750, fucking BUY IT.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Current production Gibson LPs are really nice and not ungodly expensive, so it's sorta odd to see some of the older, less-historically accurate Japanese copies of the LP Standard creeping up in value.

Gibsons's historic reissues and Les Paul Customs, however, and reaching (IMHO) outrageous prices, so I can definitely see the pull of a Japanese copy with those features.

Yeah, the Gibson ship has sailed for me based on pricing alone, which is kind of a bummer because I really fell in love with these two LP’s and would like a fleet of them for different tunings. Knowing I can scoop up a guitar from across the world that I’ll feel confident about the QC for, in most cases, less than half the cost of a Gibson, I’ll be going that route.

I’ve seen some Standards go for great prices, but not one has had the kind of top on it my Orville does and I suspect if they did, they’d all be around $2500.

jwguitar

Reaction score
I played a 1984 Greco John Sykes model once a few months ago and it played/felt amazing. It was just a really heavy guitar.

I also love the Burny Les Pauls with the Floyd Rose and Fernandes Sustainer considering I’m a massive Neal Schon fan.
Did Gibson ever make a John Sykes model? Or did he play Greco? Talk about an underrated guitar player!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did Gibson ever make a John Sykes model? Or did he play Greco? Talk about an underrated guitar player!

He played a customized Norlin era Les Paul Custom. They also did a limited run or two of replicas of his black Custom.

The Japanese models are all modeled after the Gibson.

jwguitar

Reaction score
He played a customized Norlin era Les Paul Custom. They also did a limited run or two of replicas of his black Custom.

The Japanese models are all modeled after the Gibson.
I thought he played a real Gibson. It’s a shame that David Coverdale decided to go with Adrien Vandenberg for the tour of the 1987 album. John Sykes’ playing had such fire to it.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I hesitate to mention this, but most Orvilles would have a laminated top unless they were some type of special run.
So do most Gibson jazz boxes outside of the Supers. Laminates sound fine.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Apparently Gibson did make a signature model. He’s pretty much exclusively known for playing a Gibson.

John Sykes is easily one of my top 10 favorite guitarists. Just an all around incredible guitarist and musician.

I love Whitesnake 87, but the first Blue Murder album completely blew me away like no other album has when I first heard it.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought he played a real Gibson. It’s a shame that David Coverdale decided to go with Adrien Vandenberg for the tour of the 1987 album. John Sykes’ playing had such fire to it.

The falling out between Sykes and Coverdale definitely sucked as that album was the high point for the band. That said Vandenberg is still a hell of a guitarist.

@BenjaminW yeah that first Blue Murder release is fantastic.

jwguitar

Reaction score
Apparently Gibson did make a signature model. He’s pretty much exclusively known for playing a Gibson.

John Sykes is easily one of my top 10 favorite guitarists. Just an all around incredible guitarist and musician.

I love Whitesnake 87, but the first Blue Murder album completely blew me away like no other album has when I first heard it.
I don’t think I have ever seen him play another guitar. From what I heard John Sykes put that mirror pickguard on his guitar at the suggestion of Phil Lynott when they were both in Thin Lizzy.

')