Japanese Les Paul style guitars

jwguitar

Reaction score
The falling out between Sykes and Coverdale definitely sucked as that album was the high point for the band. That said Vandenberg is still a hell of a guitarist.

@BenjaminW yeah that first Blue Murder release is fantastic.
As much of a great vocalist as David Coverdale is, I think he tried to push John Sykes out of Whitesnake. I have a feeling he didn’t want to pay writing credits to John Sykes or something like that for the 87 album. To me John Sykes guitar sound was perfect with David Coverdales voice. I didn’t really care as much for Adrian Vandenberg or Steve Vai. They couldn’t match Sykes unique sound.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As much of a great vocalist as David Coverdale is, I think he tried to push John Sykes out of Whitesnake. I have a feeling he didn’t want to pay writing credits to John Sykes or something like that for the 87 album. To me John Sykes guitar sound was perfect with David Coverdales voice. I didn’t really care as much for Adrian Vandenberg or Steve Vai. They couldn’t match Sykes unique sound.

Whitesnake is Coverdale's band. Pushing somebody out is simply him telling them they're fired, which IIRC was basically what happened before the tour for the 87 album.

Anyways back on topic, I'm a bit bummed as the place I got the white Edwards from sold out of the black ones. I was sort of thinking I'd grab a black one if I liked the white one :lol:

jwguitar

Reaction score
Whitesnake is Coverdale's band. Pushing somebody out is simply him telling them they're fired, which IIRC was basically what happened before the tour for the 87 album.

Anyways back on topic, I'm a bit bummed as the place I got the white Edwards from sold out of the black ones. I was sort of thinking I'd grab a black one if I liked the white one :lol:

I wish I could help you get a black Edwards. Unfortunately I don’t have access to those guitars! Only ESP and LTD. I wish they had the Edwards guitars in the US.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got the white E-LP-130... really nice guitar. It's going to be perfect for what I want to do with it. Sorry no photos yet but I will get some eventually :lol:

Overall great guitar. EMGs and locking tuners incoming. Might grab a black one too just for fun.

Marked Man

Reaction score

There is no thinking about it....Coverdale was highly threatened by Sykes. He was a younger, blonder, better looking guy who could write songs, sing almost as well as Coverdale himself and played guitar like a God on top of it. Sykes had all the tools but sadly never really made it at the level he should have.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You've got ebay, right?

I bought my Edwards Sykes LPC directly from Japan and rec'd it in about a week at my doorstep. :hbang:

That was how I got the white one I received yesterday (well reverb not ebay)... actually just messaged them to see if they have a Sykes :lol: So far seems like the only guys with new Sykes listed are the two shady guys on ebay that sound like they buy stuff when somebody orders it and don't bother to let you know for a couple of weeks if they can't get something.

jwguitar

Reaction score
There is no thinking about it....Coverdale was highly threatened by Sykes. He was a younger, blonder, better looking guy who could write songs, sing almost as well as Coverdale himself and played guitar like a God on top of it. Sykes had all the tools but sadly never really made it at the level he should have.
You know what you have a very valid point. I never considered that. After all John Sykes took over as a vocalist in Blue Murder shortly after leaving Whitesnake!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
And incoming... would have preferred a JS but they seem to have completely sold out. This one is getting a Psykes set and I'll probably swap all the hardware to nickel / chrome at some point.
edwards-black-elp130.png

jwguitar

Reaction score
And incoming... would have preferred a JS but they seem to have completely sold out. This one is getting a Psykes set and I'll probably swap all the hardware to nickel / chrome at some point.
View attachment 120551
Now that is a guitar! If it were me I would keep the gold hardware. But I can understand personal preference and making it your own as well!

soliloquy

Reaction score
Not sure if I've ever seen gold top hat knobs. Like the ones on the Edwards are chrome on top, where as the rest of the guitar has gold hardwear. I wonder if good knobs would be excessive/gaudy, or the mixed chrome/gold is strange looking?

I replaced my top hat knobs on my Edwards with speedknobs. Wanted to keep it as 'black' as possible, with the exception of pickups, and bridge/tailpiece

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll be doing speed knobs on both of these... decided to leave the gold on the black one but the pups will be getting replaced with a ToneNerd Psykes set with gold screws. I actually almost hate to throw the EMGs in the white one as it sounds fantastic with the stock pickups.

jwguitar

Reaction score
Not sure if I've ever seen gold top hat knobs. Like the ones on the Edwards are chrome on top, where as the rest of the guitar has gold hardwear. I wonder if good knobs would be excessive/gaudy, or the mixed chrome/gold is strange looking?

I replaced my top hat knobs on my Edwards with speedknobs. Wanted to keep it as 'black' as possible, with the exception of pickups, and bridge/tailpiece
I have gold top hat inserts on my Epiphone Elite 335

jwguitar

Reaction score
I'll be doing speed knobs on both of these... decided to leave the gold on the black one but the pups will be getting replaced with a ToneNerd Psykes set with gold screws. I actually almost hate to throw the EMGs in the white one as it sounds fantastic with the stock pickups.
Why not leave the stock pickups? Most of the time Japanese guitars have really good unbranded pickups?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why not leave the stock pickups? Most of the time Japanese guitars have really good unbranded pickups?

They're a Duncan JB/59 set. I basically bought these guitars for specific sounds, and the pickups are part of that. If it makes you feel better my 2 Gibsons are both stock except for the locking tuners :lol:

jwguitar

Reaction score
They're a Duncan JB/59 set. I basically bought these guitars for specific sounds, and the pickups are part of that. If it makes you feel better my 2 Gibsons are both stock except for the locking tuners :lol:
Hey I like locking tuners on guitars! They are not a make or break deal for me but they are really convenient when I need to change a string. I do like the Duncan JB set by the way I thought you might have those Japanese unbranded stock pickups that they use in Yamaha, Aria or FGN. I have an Aria Pro II PE guitar that has those pickups (I am thinking they might be made by Gotoh). Whatever they are they sound fantastic!

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Got the white E-LP-130... really nice guitar. It's going to be perfect for what I want to do with it. Sorry no photos yet but I will get some eventually :lol:

Overall great guitar. EMGs and locking tuners incoming. Might grab a black one too just for fun.

8C66DCB0-8B78-4CC6-9AD4-F5C54D00829E.jpeg

The stock Gotoh’s on mine were trash. At least 3 of them would spin forever then finally change the pitch of the note WAY too much for a small turn of the peg. So I replaced them with more Gotoh’s, but the locking ones. That and the button machines look much better on a Custom, IMO.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score

Too funny, I got my balls busted about changing those out at two other forums and I had the exact same answer.

“But you might like them”

Not the point.

”That’s a really good pickup”

Not the point.

”I don’t know why people can’t just leave a guitar alone and work with it rather than making it work for you.”

Because I love tweaking/ modding guitars? Not the point.

I specifically wanted an LPC with the 81/85 set so when I get baked I can play half ass licks from the No More Tears album with 5% more authenticity on my non-authentic LPC. Though I’m a bit bummed I didn’t get them with gold covers.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 120605

The stock Gotoh’s on mine were trash. At least 3 of them would spin forever then finally change the pitch of the note WAY too much for a small turn of the peg. So I replaced them with more Gotoh’s, but the locking ones. That and the button machines look much better on a Custom, IMO.

Weird about the stock tuners they're fine on mine and I've had those Gotohs on other guitars and they've been fine... but yeah I've got replacement sets on the way with the dome buttons. Actually the set for the white one, the EMG switch, and speed knobs were all supposed to be here USPS today but seem to be in limbo currently according to the tracking. Hoping somebody missed the scan and they show up anyways :lol:

Too funny, I got my balls busted about changing those out at two other forums and I had the exact same answer.

“But you might like them”

Not the point.

”That’s a really good pickup”

Not the point.

”I don’t know why people can’t just leave a guitar alone and work with it rather than making it work for you.”

Because I love tweaking/ modding guitars? Not the point.

I specifically wanted an LPC with the 81/85 set so when I get baked I can play half ass licks from the No More Tears album with 5% more authenticity on my non-authentic LPC. Though I’m a bit bummed I didn’t get them with gold covers.

Exactly. Though the black are more Zakk "authentic" :lol: Still debating having the bullseye done on the top of this, I'll have to get a quote from GMW.

I literally bought this because I wanted the Zakk LP but didn't want to drop $10k for a used one :lol: With the mods this should be close enough, and definitely better than his current sig gear.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
@RevDrucifer rear locking or top locking like prs? I want SD90s for two LPs but nickel top locking are out of stock 2 months later still :rant:

')