Japanese Les Paul style guitars

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
@RevDrucifer rear locking or top locking like prs? I want SD90s for two LPs but nickel top locking are out of stock 2 months later still :rant:

Rear locking, I have the top locking ones on a Strat and I’m not a fan, always worried I’ll lose that top piece. Not sure if they’re all made like the Gotoh vintage ones I have on my Strat, but I strongly prefer the back-locking ones.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Weird about the stock tuners they're fine on mine and I've had those Gotohs on other guitars and they've been fine... but yeah I've got replacement sets on the way with the dome buttons. Actually the set for the white one, the EMG switch, and speed knobs were all supposed to be here USPS today but seem to be in limbo currently according to the tracking. Hoping somebody missed the scan and they show up anyways :lol:

Exactly. Though the black are more Zakk "authentic" :lol: Still debating having the bullseye done on the top of this, I'll have to get a quote from GMW.

I literally bought this because I wanted the Zakk LP but didn't want to drop $10k for a used one :lol: With the mods this should be close enough, and definitely better than his current sig gear.

It’s like we’re thinking from the same mind.

I was looking around for stick-on bullseyes, figuring if they have fucking relic stickers they’d have that but I could only find full-body bullseyes, not just the rings themselves. I was thinking of doing a reverse bullseye, white rings on a black LP.

And yeah, it is a bummer about the Wylde Audio Condom Reservoir guitars. I haven’t even picked one up when I’ve seen them in stores cuz nah.

I also got those speed knobs that have the detents all along the top edge, I might smooth them out a little bit because they’re a little sharp, but those detents do their job! (and look normal looking straight at them)

41WcO5UR4cL._AC_.jpg

jwguitar

Reaction score
View attachment 120605

The stock Gotoh’s on mine were trash. At least 3 of them would spin forever then finally change the pitch of the note WAY too much for a small turn of the peg. So I replaced them with more Gotoh’s, but the locking ones. That and the button machines look much better on a Custom, IMO.
You know that is the first time I have heard a bad thing about Gotoh. Are they still made in Japan. I know Grover parts are not made in USA anymore and haven’t been for a while. Perhaps quality could be slipping?

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
You know that is the first time I have heard a bad thing about Gotoh. Are they still made in Japan. I know Grover parts are not made in USA anymore and haven’t been for a while. Perhaps quality could be slipping?

I wouldn’t go that far with it, Gotoh has decades of quality behind them, sometimes ya just get a funky batch. Pretty sure they’re still MIJ and not sure about Grover’s but I’ve heard that as well about them.

The Gotoh’s I put on are perfect, I’ve got those Magnums on 3-4 guitars now, easily my favorite tuning machines!

jwguitar

Reaction score
I wouldn’t go that far with it, Gotoh has decades of quality behind them, sometimes ya just get a funky batch. Pretty sure they’re still MIJ and not sure about Grover’s but I’ve heard that as well about them.

The Gotoh’s I put on are perfect, I’ve got those Magnums on 3-4 guitars now, easily my favorite tuning machines!
From what I understand Grover and some of the nicer hardware is now made over in Korea. I cannot remember the name of the factory but they make good stuff generally. As far as Gotoh I thought they were still in Japan but I didn’t know if they happened to have a lower end line of tuners that perhaps were made somewhere else. I think you are probably right in saying you got a bad tuner and that’s all it was!

Estilo

Reaction score
It’s like we’re thinking from the same mind.

I was looking around for stick-on bullseyes, figuring if they have fucking relic stickers they’d have that but I could only find full-body bullseyes, not just the rings themselves. I was thinking of doing a reverse bullseye, white rings on a black LP.

And yeah, it is a bummer about the Wylde Audio Condom Reservoir guitars. I haven’t even picked one up when I’ve seen them in stores cuz nah.

There are stick-on bullseyes? Woah that'd work great for me!

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
There are stick-on bullseyes? Woah that'd work great for me!

It’s a full front wrap, covering the entire body. The idea of covering the top of a guitar with vinyl doesn’t thrill me too much but I’m neurotic about a few little things that fall in the “that’s not going to have an effect on the tone” area, thick finishes being my biggest dislike. That and I’d imagine a ding in that would cause the vinyl to bunch up and end up looking like….a vinyl sticker on a guitar. But they’re only $30!

jwguitar

Reaction score

It’s a full front wrap, covering the entire body. The idea of covering the top of a guitar with vinyl doesn’t thrill me too much but I’m neurotic about a few little things that fall in the “that’s not going to have an effect on the tone” area, thick finishes being my biggest dislike. That and I’d imagine a ding in that would cause the vinyl to bunch up and end up looking like….a vinyl sticker on a guitar. But they’re only $30!
For only 30 dollars you could redo the sticker ever few years!

mattier303

Reaction score
Edwards (esp), Tokai, Burny lp.
**I‘m reluctantly selling this guitar btw, don’t have it listed anywhere yet but if anyone is interested PM me.

I have an edwards E-LP
build quality is unreal. Fit and finish.
i love it.
long neck tenon
duncan pickups sh-1 & sh-4
so nice , especially for the $…

I have played my friends older Tokai Love Rock and it was also a,aging, more expensive though for sure.

Attachments

• 6D162398-3AD6-4242-A790-26FBCD15D163.jpeg
    6D162398-3AD6-4242-A790-26FBCD15D163.jpeg
    867.5 KB · Views: 19
  • A9D05472-0DA1-4A08-9582-4669CF4D0C19.jpeg
    A9D05472-0DA1-4A08-9582-4669CF4D0C19.jpeg
    948.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 27C02F23-1E97-4C68-8AB8-7A254BCE355F.jpeg
    27C02F23-1E97-4C68-8AB8-7A254BCE355F.jpeg
    831.1 KB · Views: 19
  • C1495EB9-E60A-44F0-84FF-D7489BB64B85.jpeg
    C1495EB9-E60A-44F0-84FF-D7489BB64B85.jpeg
    878.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 2F3C2127-BD37-4C8E-9BD0-2CD760606954.jpeg
    2F3C2127-BD37-4C8E-9BD0-2CD760606954.jpeg
    783.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 5EE4B0A9-053B-4432-B9E6-C84102DFE4FA.jpeg
    5EE4B0A9-053B-4432-B9E6-C84102DFE4FA.jpeg
    714.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

jwguitar

Reaction score
**I‘m reluctantly selling this guitar btw, don’t have it listed anywhere yet but if anyone is interested PM me.

I have an edwards E-LP
build quality is unreal. Fit and finish.
i love it.
long neck tenon
duncan pickups sh-1 & sh-4
so nice , especially for the $…

I have played my friends older Tokai Love Rock and it was also a,aging, more expensive though for sure.
What a beautiful guitar that is!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing is ever simple....

EMG set installed in the white E-LP-130 (including EMG 3 way switch). Everything is connected correctly so tomorrow's project will be pulling the neck leads and seeing if one of them has a broken connection with my meter. Fun times.

jwguitar

Reaction score
Nothing is ever simple....

EMG set installed in the white E-LP-130 (including EMG 3 way switch). Everything is connected correctly so tomorrow's project will be pulling the neck leads and seeing if one of them has a broken connection with my meter. Fun times.
Are your EMG pickups quick connect? Or are they the old style?

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That annoying moment when you have to re-solder a bad factory solder connection on your "solderless" EMG 3-way switch...

soliloquy

Reaction score
That annoying moment when you have to re-solder a bad factory solder connection on your "solderless" EMG 3-way switch...
Been there.

My Ltd ec1000 came with a weird toggle switch which was soldered, while everything else was quick connect. The wiring was too short and just didn't work properly

Had to replace the toggle, and rework the wiring. Chaos, but fun learning experience

jwguitar

Reaction score
Been there.

My Ltd ec1000 came with a weird toggle switch which was soldered, while everything else was quick connect. The wiring was too short and just didn't work properly

Had to replace the toggle, and rework the wiring. Chaos, but fun learning experience
I have seen that on many guitars where a wire has “just enough” to reach the pot or switch. I’m sure the factories that manufacture these guitars calculate exactly the amount of wire they need down to the centimeter so it doesn’t cost them any more than needed.

')